Index of content:
Volume 33, Issue 6, June 2006
- Educational Symposium: Valencia A
- Education Council: AAPM History/Public Education
33(2006); http://dx.doi.org/10.1118/1.2240115View Description Hide Description
33(2006); http://dx.doi.org/10.1118/1.2240116View Description Hide Description
Discoveries & Breakthroughs: Inside Science (DBIS) is a nationally syndicated television program, consisting of a dozen 90‐second news segments per month, produced by the American Institute of Physics in conjunction with partner societies including AAPM. Marketed and distributed to local television stations across the country, DBIS provides a unique opportunity to present science and scientists to local TV news viewers, who represent an important yet underserved segment of the US public for science news. This presentation will show some DBIS news clips on medical physics and explain the stories behind them. It will present quantitative studies, funded by NSF, which have demonstrated the effectiveness of the program. It will show a new website, especially created for AAPM members, that contains dozens of medical‐physics‐related DBIS videos which may be useful for outreach and other purposes. This talk will also explore how to increase opportunities for maximizing coverage of medical physics by the program.
1. Understand the format of the Discoveries & Breakthroughstelevision program, its objectives, and the importance of its target audience.
2. Learn the complete process of how DBIS segments on medical physics are created from story idea to final production.
3. Understand how to submit story ideas for the program, serve as an outside expert for stories under consideration, and generally help DBIS maximize its coverage of medical physics.