No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
SonoKnife: Feasibility of a line-focused ultrasound device for thermal ablation therapy
1. D. Chin, G. M. Boyle, S. Porceddu, D. R. Theile, P. G. Parsons, and W. B. Coman, “Head and neck cancer: past, present and future,” Expert Rev. Anticancer Ther. 6 (7), 1111–1118 (2006).
3. A. Casaril, M. Abu Hilal, A. Harb, T. Campagnaro, G. Mansueto, and N. Nicoli, “The safety of radiofrequency thermal ablation in the treatment of liver malignancies,” Eur. J. Surg. Oncol. 34 (6), 668–672 (2008).
4. M. Margreiter and M. Marberger, “Focal therapy and imaging in prostate and kidney cancer: high-intensity focused ultrasound ablation of small renal tumors,” J. Endourol 24 (5), 745–748 (2010).
5. O. Esnault, B. Franc, and J. Y. Chapelon, “Localized ablation of thyroid tissue by high-intensity focused ultrasound: improvement of noninvasive tissue necrosis methods,” Thyroid 19 (10), 1085–1091 (2009).
6. R. D. Timmerman, C. S. Bizekis, H. I. Pass, Y. Fong, D. E. Dupuy, L. A. Dawson, and D. Lu, “Local surgical, ablative, and radiation treatment of metastases,” Ca-Cancer J. Clin. 59 (3), 145–170 (2009).
7. C. T. Nguyen and S. C. Campbell, “Salvage of local recurrence after primary thermal ablation for small renal masses,” Expert Rev. Anticancer Ther. 8 (12), 1899–1905 (2008).
9. F. A. Taran, C. M. Tempany, L. Regan, Y. Inbar, A. Revel, and E. A. Stewart, “Magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound (MRgFUS) compared with abdominal hysterectomy for treatment of uterine leiomyomas,” Ultrasound Obstet. Gynecol. 34 (5), 572–578 (2009).
12. G. Carrafiello, D. Lagana, M. Mangini, F. Fontana, G. Dionigi, L. Boni, F. Rovera, S. Cuffari, and C. Fugazzola, “Microwave tumors ablation: principles, clinical applications and review of preliminary experiences,” Int. J. Surg. 6 (Suppl 1) S65–S69 (2008).
13. A. L. Gough-Palmer and W. M. Gedroyc, “Laser ablation of hepatocellular carcinoma—a review,” World J. Gastroenterol. 14 (47), 7170–7174 (2008).
14. J. A. Penagaricano, E. Moros, P. Novak, Y. Yan, and P. Corry, “Feasibility of concurrent treatment with the scanning ultrasound reflector linear array system (SURLAS) and the helical tomotherapy system,” Int. J. Hyperthermia 24 (5), 377–388 (2008).
15. H. H. Kampinga, “Cell biological effects of hyperthermia alone or combined with radiation or drugs: a short introduction to newcomers in the field,” Int. J. Hyperthermia 22 (3), 191–196 (2006).
16. C. A. Grieco, C. J. Simon, W. W. Mayo-Smith, T. A. DiPetrillo, N. E. Ready, and D. E. Dupuy, “Percutaneous image-guided thermal ablation and radiation therapy: outcomes of combined treatment for 41 patients with inoperable stage I/II non-small-cell lung cancer,” J. Vasc. Interv. Radiol. 17 (7), 1117–1124 (2006).
19. N. J. McDannold, F. A. Jolesz, and K. H. Hynynen, “Determination of the optimal delay between sonications during focused ultrasound surgery in rabbits by using MR imaging to monitor thermal buildup in vivo,” Radiology 211 (2), 419–426 (1999).
21. B. E. O’Neill, C. Karmonik, and K. C. Li, “An optimum method for pulsed high intensity focused ultrasound treatment of large volumes using the InSightec ExAblate(R) 2000 system,” Phys. Med. Biol. 55 (21), 6395–6410 (2010).
22. H. L. Liu, T. C. Shih, W. S. Chen, and K. C. Ju, “A novel strategy to increase heating efficiency in a split-focus ultrasound phased array,” Med. Phys. 34 (7), 2957–2967 (2007).
23. P. R. Patel, A. Luk, A. Durrani, S. Dromi, J. Cuesta, M. Angstadt, M. R. Dreher, B. J. Wood, and V. Frenkel, “In vitro and in vivo evaluations of increased effective beam width for heat deposition using a split focus high intensity ultrasound (HIFU) transducer,” Int. J. Hyperthermia 24 (7), 537–549 (2008).
24. K. Sasaki, T. Azuma, K. I. Kawabata, M. Shimoda, E. I. Kokue, and S. I. Umemura, “Effect of split-focus approach on producing larger coagulation in swine liver,” Ultrasound Med. Biol. 29 (4), 591–599 (2003).
25. M. O. Kohler, C. Mougenot, B. Quesson, J. Enholm, B. Le Bail, C. Laurent, C. T. Moonen, and G. J. Ehnholm, “Volumetric HIFU ablation under 3D guidance of rapid MRI thermometry,” Med. Phys. 36 (8), 3521–3535 (2009).
26. D. Li, G. Shen, H. Luo, J. Bai, and Y. Chen, “A study of heating duration and scanning path in focused ultrasound surgery,” J. Med. Syst.
28. C. H. Farny, R. Glynn Holt, and R. A. Roy, “The correlation between bubble-enhanced HIFU heating and cavitation power,” IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 57 (1), 175–184 (2010).
30. E. G. Moros, J. A. Penagaricano, P. Novák, W. L. Straube, and R. J. Myerson, “Present and future technology for simultaneous superficial thermoradiotherapy of breast cancer,” Int. J. Hyperthermia 26 (7), 699–709 (2010).
32. D. Chen, J. F. Kelly and R. J. McGough, “A fast near-field method for calculations of time-harmonic and transient pressures produced by triangular pistons,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 120 (5 Pt 1), 2450–2459 (2006).
33. R. J. McGough, “Rapid calculations of time-harmonic nearfield pressures produced by rectangular pistons,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 115 (5 Pt 1), 1934–1941 (2004).
34. G. E. Williams, Fourier acoustics: Sound radiation and nearfield acoustical holography (Academic, London, 1999).
35. D. L. Liu and R. C. Waag, “Propagation and backpropagation for ultrasonic wavefront design,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 44 (1), 1–13 (1997).
36. L. E. Kinsler, A. R. Frey, A. B. Coppens, and J. V. Sanders, Fundamentals of Acoustics., 4th ed., (John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2000).
37. H. H. Pennes, “Analysis of tissue and arterial blood temperature in the resting human forearm,” J. Appl. Physiol. 1 (2), 93–102 (1948).
38. T. J. Cavicchi and W. D. O′Brien, Jr., “Heat generated by ultrasound in an absorbing medium,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 76 (4), 1244–1245 (1984).
39. E. G. Moros, A. W. Dutton, R. B. Roemer, M. Burton, and K. Hynynen, “Experimental evaluation of two simple thermal models using hyperthermia in muscle in vivo,” Int. J. Hyperthermia 9 (4), 581–598 (1993).
40. E. G. Moros, R. B. Roemer, and K. Hynynen, “Simulations of scanned focused ultrasound hyperthermia—the effects of scanning speed and pattern on the temperature-fluctuations at the focal depth,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 35 (5), 552–560 (1988).
42. M. L. Van der Gaag, M. De Bruijne, T. Samaras, J. Van der Zee, and G. C. Van Rhoon, “Development of a guideline for the water bolus temperature in superficial hyperthermia,” Int. J. Hyperthermia 22 (8), 637–656 (2006).
43. C. J. Diederich, P. R. Stauffer, and D. Bozzo, “An improved bolus configuration for commercial multielement ultrasound and microwave hyperthermia systems,” Med. Phys. 21 (9), 1401–1403 (1994).
44. K. Takegami, Y. Kaneko, T. Watanabe, T. Maruyama, Y. Matsumoto, and H. Nagawa, “Polyacrylamide gel containing egg white as new model for irradiation experiments using focused ultrasound,” Ultrasound Med. Biol. 30 (10), 1419–1422 (2004).
45. G. S. Chen, J. Cannata, R. B. Liu, H. Chang, and K. K. Shung, “Design and fabrication of high-intensity focused ultrasound phased array for liver tumor therapy,” Biomed. Eng. Appl. Basis Commun. 21 (3), 187–192 (2009).
46. C. S. Ho, K. C. Ju, T. Y. Cheng, Y. Y. Chen, and W. L. Lin, “Thermal therapy for breast tumors by using a cylindrical ultrasound phased array with multifocus pattern scanning: a preliminary numerical study,” Phys. Med. Biol. 52 (15), 4585–4599 (2007).
48. X. Q. Lu, E. C. Burdette, B. A. Bornstein, J. L. Hansen, and G. K. Svensson, “Design of an ultrasonic therapy system for breast cancer treatment,” Int. J. Hyperthermia 12 (3), 375–399 (1996).
49. J. F. Bakker, M. M. Paulides, I. M. Obdeijn, G. C. van Rhoon, and K. W. van Dongen, “An ultrasound cylindrical phased array for deep heating in the breast: theoretical design using heterogeneous models,” Phys. Med. Biol. 54 (10), 3201–3215 (2009).
50. P. P. Lele, United States Patent and Trademark Office, U. S. Patent No.4938216 (July, 3, 1990).
51. A. B. Ross, C. J. Diederich, W. H. Nau, V. Rieke, R. K. Butts, G. Sommer, H. Gill, and D. M. Bouley, “Curvilinear transurethral ultrasound applicator for selective prostate thermal therapy,” Med. Phys. 32 (6), 1555–1565 (2005).
52. J. H. Wootton, A. B. Ross, and C. J. Diederich, “Prostate thermal therapy with high intensity transurethral ultrasound: the impact of pelvic bone heating on treatment delivery,” Int. J. Hyperthermia 23 (8), 609–622 (2007).
53. C. A. Damianou, N. T. Sanghvi, F. J. Fry, and R. Maass-Moreno, “Dependence of ultrasonic attenuation and absorption in dog soft tissues on temperature and thermal dose,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 102 (1), 628–634 (1997).
54. M. W. Dewhirst, B. L. Viglianti, M. Lora-Michiels, M. Hanson, and P. J. Hoopes, “Basic principles of thermal dosimetry and thermal thresholds for tissue damage from hyperthermia,” Int. J. Hyperthermia 19 (3), 267–294 (2003).
55. R. D. Peters, E. Chan, J. Trachtenberg, S. Jothy, L. Kapusta, W. Kucharczyk, and R. M. Henkelman, “Magnetic resonance thermometry for predicting thermal damage: an application of interstitial laser coagulation in an in vivo canine prostate model,” Magn. Reson. Med. 44 (6), 873–883 (2000).
56. F. Wu, Z. B. Wang, Y. D. Cao, X. Q. Zhu, H. Zhu, W. Z. Chen, and J. Z. Zou, “Wide local ablation of localized breast cancer using high intensity focused ultrasound,” J. Surg. Oncol. 96 (2), 130–136 (2007).
58. S. Parikh, A. Motarjeme, T. McNamara, R. Raabe, K. Hagspiel, J. F. Benenati, K. Sterling, and A. Comerota, “Ultrasound-accelerated thrombolysis for the treatment of deep vein thrombosis: initial clinical experience,” J. Vasc. Interv. Radiol. 19 (4), 521–528 (2008).
59. R. D. Raabe, “Ultrasound-accelerated thrombolysis in arterial and venous peripheral occlusions: fibrinogen level effects,” J. Vasc. Interv. Radiol. 21 (8), 1165–1172 (2010).
60. J. F. Aubry, M. Pernot, F. Marquet, M. Tanter, and M. Fink, “Transcostal high-intensity-focused ultrasound: ex vivo adaptive focusing feasibility study,” Phys. Med. Biol. 53 (11), 2937–2951 (2008).
61. W. Chen, H. Zhu, L. Zhang, K. Li, H. Su, C. Jin, K. Zhou, J. Bai, F. Wu, and Z. Wang, “Primary bone malignancy: effective treatment with high-intensity focused ultrasound ablation,” Radiology 255 (3), 967–978 (2010).
62. B. Liberman, D. Gianfelice, Y. Inbar, A. Beck, T. Rabin, N. Shabshin, G. Chander, S. Hengst, R. Pfeffer, A. Chechick, A. Hanannel, O. Dogadkin, and R. Catane, “Pain palliation in patients with bone metastases using MR-guided focused ultrasound surgery: a multicenter study,” Ann. Surg. Oncol. 16 (1), 140–146 (2009).
63. E. G. Moros and K. Hynynen, “A comparison of theoretical and experimental ultrasound field distributions in canine muscle tissue in vivo,” Ultrasound Med. Biol. 18 (1), 81–95 (1992).
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Most read this month