No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Upgrade and benchmarking of a 4D treatment planning system for scanned ion beam therapy
2. A. Knopf et al., “Special report: Workshop on 4D-treatment planning in actively scanned particle therapy—Recommendations, technical challenges, and future research directions,” Med. Phys. 37, 4608–4614 (2010).
3. G. T. Chen, J. H. Kung, and E. Rietzel, “Four-dimensional imaging and treatment planning of moving targets,” Front. Radiat. Ther. Oncol. 40, 59–71 (2007).
4. P. J. Keall, S. Joshi, S. S. Vedam, J. V. Siebers, V. R. Kini, and R. Mohan, “Four-dimensional radiotherapy planning for DMLC-based respiratory motion tracking,” Med. Phys. 32, 942–951 (2005).
6. M. Koto, T. Miyamoto, N. Yamamoto, H. Nishimura, S. Yamada, and H. Tsujii, “Local control and recurrence of stage I non-small cell lung cancer after carbon ion radiotherapy,” Radiother. Oncol. 71, 147–156 (2004).
10. S. Mori, J. Wolfgang, H. M. Lu, R. Schneider, N. C. Choi, and G. T. Y. Chen, “Quantitative assessment of range fluctuations in charged particle lung irradiation,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. 70, 253–261 (2008).
11. M. H. Phillips, E. Pedroni, H. Blattmann, T. Boehringer, A. Coray, and S. Scheib, “Effects of respiratory motion on dose uniformity with a charged particle scanning method,” Phys. Med. Biol. 37, 223–233 (1992).
13. S. van de Water, R. Kreuger, S. Zenklusen, E. Hug, and A. J. Lomax, “Tumour tracking with scanned proton beams: Assessing the accuracy and practicalities,” Phys. Med. Biol. 54, 6549–6563 (2009).
14. D. Boye, A. Lomax, and A. Knopf, “4D dose calculation for scanned proton beams using a deforming dose grid and simulated 4D CT,” presented at the ESTRO International Oncology Forum, London, 8–12 May 2011.
15. A. C. Knopf, T. S. Hong, and A. Lomax, “Scanned proton radiotherapy for mobile targets-the effectiveness of re-scanning in the context of different treatment planning approaches and for different motion characteristics,” Phys. Med. Biol. 56, 7257–7271 (2011).
16. Y. Zhang, D. Boye, C. Tanner, A. J. Lomax, and A. Knopf, “Respiratory liver motion estimation and its effect on scanned proton beam therapy,” Phys. Med. Biol. 57, 1779–1795 (2012).
18. H. Paganetti, H. Jiang, J. A. Adams, G. T. Chen, and E. Rietzel, “Monte Carlo simulations with time-dependent geometries to investigate effects of organ motion with high temporal resolution,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. 60, 942–950 (2004).
19. H. Paganetti, H. Jiang, and A. Trofimov, “4D Monte Carlo simulation of proton beam scanning: Modelling of variations in time and space to study the interplay between scanning pattern and time-dependent patient geometry,” Phys. Med. Biol. 50, 983–990 (2005).
21. M. Krämer, O. Jäkel, T. Haberer, G. Kraft, D. Schardt, and U. Weber, “Treatment planning for heavy-ion radiotherapy: Physical beam model and dose optimization,” Phys. Med. Biol. 45, 3299–3317 (2000).
22. M. Krämer and M. Scholz, “Treatment planning for heavy-ion radiotherapy: Calculation and optimization of biologically effective dose,” Phys. Med. Biol. 45, 3319–3330 (2000).
23. O. Jäkel, M. Krämer, C. P. Karger, and J. Debus, “Treatment planning for heavy ion radiotherapy: Clinical implementation and application,” Phys. Med. Biol. 46, 1101–1116 (2001).
24. Q. Li, S. O. Grözinger, T. Haberer, E. Rietzel, and G. Kraft, “Online compensation of target motion with scanned particle beams: Simulation environment,” Phys. Med. Biol. 49, 3029–3046 (2004).
25. S. O. Grözinger, E. Rietzel, Q. Li, C. Bert, T. Haberer, and G. Kraft, “Simulations to design an online motion compensation system for scanned particle beams,” Phys. Med. Biol. 51, 3517–3531 (2006).
26. E. Rietzel, G. T. Y. Chen, N. C. Choi, and C. G. Willet, “Four-dimensional image-based treatment planning: Target volume segmentation and dose calculation in the presence of respiratory motion,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. 61, 1535–1550 (2005).
28. R. Lüchtenborg, N. Saito, M. Durante, and C. Bert, “Experimental verification of a real-time compensation functionality for dose changes due to target motion in scanned particle therapy,” Med. Phys. 38, 5448–5458 (2011).
29. C. Bert, D. Richter, M. Durante, and E. Rietzel, “Scanned carbon beam irradiation of moving films: Comparison of measured and calculated response,” Radiat. Oncol. 7, 55 (2012).
30. A. Gemmel, E. Rietzel, G. Kraft, M. Durante, and C. Bert, “Calculation and experimental verification of the RBE-weighted dose for scanned ion beams in the presence of target motion,” Phys. Med. Biol. 56, 7337–7351 (2011).
31. W. Schlegel et al., “Computer systems and mechanical tools for stereotactically guided conformation therapy with linear accelerators,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol., Biol., Phys. 24, 781–787 (1992).
32. A. E. Lujan, E. W. Larsen, J. M. Balter, and R. K. T. Haken, “A method for incorporating organ motion due to breathing into 3D dose calculations,” Med. Phys. 26, 715–720 (1999).
35. D. Yang, W. Lu, D. A. Low, J. O. Deasy, A. J. Hope, and I. El Naqa, “4D-CT motion estimation using deformable image registration and 5D respiratory motion modeling,” Med. Phys. 35, 4577–4590 (2008).
36. G. C. Sharp, N. Kandasamy, H. Singh, and M. Folkert, “GPU-based streaming architectures for fast cone-beam CT image reconstruction and demons deformable registration,” Phys. Med. Biol. 52, 5771–5783 (2007).
37. O. Veblen and J. W. Young, Projective Geometry (University of Michigan Library, Ann Arbor, MI, 2005).
39. S. Gaede et al., “An evaluation of an automated 4D-CT contour propagation tool to define an internal gross tumour volume for lung cancer radiotherapy,” Radiother. Oncol. 101, 322–328 (2011).
40. E. Haines, “Essential ray tracing algorithms,” in An Introduction to Ray Tracing, 9th ed., edited by A. Glassner (Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, 2002), pp. 50–58.
41. T. C. Hales, “The Jordan curve theorem, formally and informally,” Am. Math. Monthly 114, 882–894 (2007).
43. D. Ragan, G. Starkschall, T. McNutt, M. Kaus, T. Guerrero, and C. W. Stevens, “Semiautomated four-dimensional computed tomography segmentation using deformable models,” Med. Phys. 32, 2254–2261 (2005).
44. R. Shekhar, P. Lei, C. R. Castro-Pareja, W. L. Plishker, and W. D. D’Souza, “Automatic segmentation of phase-correlated CT scans through nonrigid image registration using geometrically regularized free-form deformation,” Med. Phys. 34, 3054–3066 (2007).
47. E. Faggiano et al., “An automatic contour propagation method to follow parotid gland deformation during head-and-neck cancer tomotherapy,” Phys. Med. Biol. 56, 775–791 (2011).
48. ICRU, “Prescribing, recording and reporting photon beam therapy,” ICRU Report No. 62 (International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements, Bethesda, MD, 1999).
50. C. Graeff, M. Durante, and C. Bert, “Motion mitigation in intensity modulated particle therapy by internal target volumes covering range changes,” Med. Phys. 39, 6004–6013 (2012).
51. E. C. Ford, G. S. Mageras, E. Yorke, and C. C. Ling, “Respiration-correlated spiral CT: A method of measuring respiratory-induced anatomic motion for radiation treatment planning,” Med. Phys. 30, 88–97 (2003).
52. E. Rietzel, T. Pan, and G. T. Y. Chen, “Four-dimensional computed tomography: Image formation and clinical protocol,” Med. Phys. 32, 874–889 (2005).
53. R. G. Lyons, “The discrete Hilbert transform,” Understanding Digital Signal Processing, 3rd ed. (Pearson Education, Boston, MA, 2011).
55. T. Furukawa et al., “Moving target irradiation with fast rescanning and gating in particle therapy,” Med. Phys. 37, 4874–4879 (2010).
56. B. Spielberger, M. Krämer, M. Scholz, and G. Kraft, “Three-dimensional dose verification in complex particle radiation fields based on X-ray films,” Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. B 209, 277–282 (2003).
57. C. P. Karger, O. Jäkel, and G. H. Hartmann, “A system for three-dimensional dosimetric verification of treatment plans in intensity-modulated radiotherapy with heavy ions,” Med. Phys. 26, 2125–2132 (1999).
58. P. Steidl et al., “A breathing thorax phantom with independently programmable 6D tumour motion for dosimetric measurements in radiation therapy,” Phys. Med. Biol. 57, 2235–2250 (2012).
59. U. Weber and G. Kraft, “Design and construction of a ripple filter for a smoothed depth dose distribution in conformal particle therapy,” Phys. Med. Biol. 44, 2765–2775 (1999).
61. T. T. Puck and P. I. Marcus, “A rapid method for viable cell titration and clone production with Hela cells in tissue culture: The use of X-irradiated cells to supply conditioning factors,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 41, 432–437 (1955).
63. T. Elsässer, M. Krämer, and M. Scholz, “Accuracy of the local effect model for the prediction of biologic effects of carbon ion beams in vitro and in vivo,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol., Biol., Phys. 71, 866–872 (2008).
64. X. Zhang et al., “Four-dimensional computed tomography-based treatment planning for intensity-modulated radiation therapy and proton therapy for distal esophageal cancer,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol., Biol., Phys. 72, 278–287 (2008).
67. J. Unkelbach, T. Bortfeld, B. C. Martin, and M. Soukup, “Reducing the sensitivity of IMPT treatment plans to setup errors and range uncertainties via probabilistic treatment planning,” Med. Phys. 36, 149–163 (2009).
69. T. Furukawa, K. Noda, T. H. Uesugi, T. Naruse, and S. Shibuya, “Intensity control in RF-knockout extraction for scanning irradiation,” J. Nucl. Instrum. Meth. B 240, 32–35 (2005).
70. C. Schömers, E. Feldmeier, T. Haberer, J. Naumann, R. Panse, and A. Peters, “Implementation of an intensity feedback loop for an ion therapy synchrotron,” IPAC2011 Conference (2011), p. 2851.
71. G. C. Sharp, S. B. Jiang, S. Shimizu, and H. Shirato, “Prediction of respiratory tumour motion for real-time image-guided radiotherapy,” Phys. Med. Biol. 49, 425–440 (2004).
73. M. von Siebenthal, G. Szekely, U. Gamper, P. Boesiger, A. Lomax, and P. Cattin, “4D MR imaging of respiratory organ motion and its variability,” Phys. Med. Biol. 52, 1547–1564 (2007).
75. R. B. Case et al., “Interfraction and intrafraction changes in amplitude of breathing motion in stereotactic liver radiotherapy,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol., Biol., Phys. 77, 918–925 (2010).
76. S. Hild, M. Durante, and C. Bert, “Assessment of uncertainties in treatment planning for scanned ion beam therapy of moving tumors,” Int. J. Radiat. Oncol., Biol., Phys. 85, 528–535 (2013).
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Most read this month