No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Preparing Undergraduates for Research Careers: Using Astrobites in the Classroom
1. Bell, P. , and Linn, M. 2000, “ Scientific Arguments as Learning Artifacts: Designing for Learning from the Web with KIE,” International Journal of Science Education, 22, 798.
2. Chang, B. , Sheldon, L. , Si, M. , and Hand, A. 2012, “ Foreign Language Learning in Immersive Virtual Environments,” Proceedings of the SPIE, 8289, 828902.
3. Crowe, M. , and Brakke, D. 2008, “ Assessing the Impact of Undergraduate-Research Experiences on Students: An Overview of Current Literature,” Council on Undergraduate Research Quarterly, 28, 4.
6. Johnson, R. K. , and Swain, M. 1997, Immersion Education: International Perspectives, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press.
7. Parkinson, M. 2009, “ The Effect of Peer Assisted Learning Support (PALS) on Performance in Mathematics and Chemistry,” Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 423, L60.
11. Schneider, R. , Omukai, K. , Limongi, M. , Ferrara, A. , Salvaterra, R. , Chieffi, A. , and Bianchi, S. 2012, “ The Formation of the Extremely Primitive Star SDSS J102915+172927 Relies on Dust,” MNRAS Letters.
12. Stelzer, T. , Gladding, G. , Mestre, J. P. , and Brookes, D. T. 2009, “ Comparing the Efficacy of Multimedia Modules with Traditional Textbooks for Learning Introductory Physics Content,” American Journal of Physics, 77, 184.
, T. 2007
,“ The Relationship between Admissions Credentials and the Success of Students Admitted to a Physics Doctoral Program
,” Ph.D. dissertation, University of Central Florida, http://purl.fcla.edu/fcla/etd/CFE0001524
Because undergraduate participation in research is a longstanding and increasingly important aspect of the career path for future scientists, students can benefit from additional resources to introduce them to the culture and process of research. We suggest the adoption of the web resource Astrobites as a classroom tool to increase the preparation of undergraduate physics and astronomy students for careers in research. We describe the content and development of the website, discuss previous university courses that have made use of Astrobites, and suggest additional strategies for using Astrobites in the classroom.
Full text loading...
Most read this month