No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Negative effective dynamic mass-density and stiffness: Micro-architecture and phononic transport in periodic composites
1. S. Rytov, Soviet Physics-Acoustics 2, 68 (1956).
2. F. Bloch, Z. Phys 52, 555 (1928).
3. G. Floquet, Ann De Lecole Normale Superieure 2, 47 (1883).
11. S. Nemat-Nasser and M. Hori, Micromechanics: overall properties of heterogeneous materials (Elsevier The Netherlands, 1999).
16. I. Babuska and J. Osborn, Math. Comp 32, 991 (1978).
32. J. Willis, in Continuum micromechanics (Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., 1997) pp. 265–290.
38. J. Willis, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Science (2011).
40. A. Shuvalov, A. Kutsenko, A. Norris, and O. Poncelet, Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Science 467, 1749 (2011).
41. S. Nemat-Nasser
and A. Srivastava
, “Overall dynamic constitutive relations of layered elastic composites
), accepted in Journal of Mechanics and Physics of Solids, arXiv:1105.5173v1
42. A. Srivastava and S. Nemat-Nasser, “Overall dynamic properties of 3-d periodic elastic composites,” (2011), submitted to Proceeding of the Royal Society.
Article metrics loading...
We report the results of the calculation of negative effective density and negative effective compliance for a layered composite. We show that the frequency-dependent effective properties remain positive for cases which lack the possibility of localized resonances (a 2-phase composite) whereas they may become negative for cases where there exists a possibility of local resonance below the length-scale of the wavelength (a 3-phase composite). We also show that the introduction of damping in the system considerably affects the effective properties in the frequency region close to the resonance. It is envisaged that this demonstration of doubly negative materialcharacteristics for 1-D wave propagation would pave the way for the design and synthesis of doubly negative material response for full 3-D elastic wave propagation.
Full text loading...
Most read this month