No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Hexagonal boron nitride intercalated multi-layer graphene: a possible ultimate solution to ultra-scaled interconnect technology
1. The International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductor, MPU Interconnect Technology Requirement (2010).
2. Srivastava, N. ; Joshi, R. V. ; and Banerjee, K. ; Carbon nanotube interconnects: Implications for Performance, Power Dissipation and Thermal Management, IEDM, 249-252 (2005).
3. Xu, C. ; Li, H. ; and Banerjee, K. ; Graphene nanoribbon interconnects: a genuine contender or a delusive dream., IEDM, 1-4 (2008).
5. Sui, Y. ; and Appenzeller, J. ; Screening and interlayer coupling in multilayer graphene field-effect transistor., Nano Lett., 9, 2973–2977 (2009).
7. Xue, J. M. ; Sanchez-Yamagishi, J. ; and Bulmash, D. ; Scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy of ultra-flat graphene on hexagonal boron nitride., Nature Materials 10, 282–285 (2011).
11. Fan, Y. C. ; Zhao, M. W. ; and Wang, Z. H. ; Tunable electronic structures of graphene/boron nitride heterobilayers., Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, 083103 (2011).
13. Lee, K. ; Chandrakasan, A. P. ; and Kong, J. ; Breakdown current density of CVD-grown multilayer graphene interconnects., IEEE Electron Device Lett., 32, 557–559 (2011).
Article metrics loading...
We proposed intercalation of hexagonal boron nitride (hBN) in multilayergraphene to improve its performance in ultra-scaled interconnects for integrated circuit. The effect of intercalated hBN layer in bilayer graphene is investigated using non-equilibrium Green's functions. We find the hBN intercalated bilayer graphene exhibit enhanced transport properties compared with pristine bilayer ones, and the improvement is attributed to suppression of interlayer scattering and good planar bonding condition of inbetween hBN layer. Based on these results, we proposed a via structure that not only benefits from suppressed interlayer scattering between multilayergraphene, but also sustains the unique electrical properties of graphene when many graphene layers are stacking together. The ideal current density across the structure can be as high as 4.6×109 A/cm2 at 1V, which is very promising for the future high-performance interconnect.
Full text loading...
Most read this month