No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Strength and bonding nature of superhard Z-carbon from first-principle study
3. W. Utsumi and T. Yagi, Science 252, 1542 (1991).
5. Z. Wang, Y. Zhao, K. Tait, X. Liao, D. Schiferl, C. Zha, R. T. Downs, J. Qian, Y. Zhu, and T. Shen, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.U.S.A. 101, 13699 (2004).
6. W. L. Mao, H. K. Mao, P. J. Eng, T. P. Trainor, M. Newville, C. Kao, D. L. Heinz, J. Shu, Y. Meng, and R. J. Hemley, Science 302, 425 (2003).
15. Q. Li, Y. Ma, A R. Oganov, H. Wang, H. Wang, Y. Xu, T. Cui, H-K , Mao, and G. Zou, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 175506 (2009).
20. Z. Zhao, B. Xu, X. F. Zhou, L. M. Wang, B. Wen, J. He, Z. Liu, H. T. Wang, and Y. Tian, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 215502 (2011).
23. M. Amsler, J. A. Flores-Livas, L. Lehtovaara, F. Balima, S. A. Ghasemi, D. Machon, S. Pailhès, A. Willand, D. Caliste, S. Botti, A. S. Miguel, S. Goedecker, and M. A. L. Marques, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 065501 (2012).
26. B. B. Karki, L. Stixrude, S. J. Clark, M. C. Warren, G. J. Ackland, and J. Crain, Am. Mineral 82, 51 (1997).
32. D. M. Teter, MRS Bull. 23, 22 (1998).
Article metrics loading...
Z-carbon is a candidate structure proposed recently for the cold-compressed phase of carbon. We have studied the mechanical properties of Z-carbon by performing the first-principles density functional calculations. The single-crystal elastic constants calculations show that Z-carbon is mechanically stable. The predicted bulk and shear moduli of Z-carbon are comparable to diamond and cubic BN, suggesting that Z-carbon can be a superhard material. We also obtained the ideal tensile and shear strengths for Z-carbon through deformation from the elastic regime to structural instability. The failure modes under tensile deformation were explored carefully based on the calculated charge density distribution and bonding evolution.
Full text loading...
Most read this month