No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Scalability of multi-junction organic solar cells for large area organic solar modules
3. X. G. Guo, N. J. Zhou, S. J. Lou, J. Smith, D. B. Tice, J. W. Hennek, R. P. Ortiz, J. T. L. Navarrete, S. Y. Li, J. Strzalka, L. X. Chen, R. P. H. Chang, A. Facchetti, and T. J. Marks, Nat. Photonics 7, 825 (2013).
4. J. B. You, L. T. Dou, K. Yoshimura, T. Kato, K. Ohya, T. Moriarty, K. Emery, C. C. Chen, J. Gao, G. Li, and Y. Yang, Nat. Commun. 4, 1446 (2013).
10. J. D. Zimmerman, B. E. Lassiter, X. Xiao, K. Sun, A. Dolocan, R. Gearba, D. A. Vanden Bout, K. J. Stevenson, P. Wickramasinghe, M. E. Thompson, and S. R. Forrest, ACS Nano 7, 9268 (2013).
11. Y. S. Liu, C. C. Chen, Z. R. Hong, J. Gao, Y. Yang, H. P. Zhou, L. T. Dou, G. Li, and Y. Yang, Sci. Rep. 3, 3356 (2013).
22. S. Y. Park, W. I. Jeong, D. G. Kim, J. K. Kim, D. C. Lim, J. H. Kim, J. J. Kim, and J. W. Kang, Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 173301 (2010).
Article metrics loading...
We investigate the scalability of multi-junction organic photovoltaic cells (OPV) with device areas ranging from 1 mm2 to 1 cm2, as well as 25 cm2 active area solar modules. We find that the series resistance losses in 1 cm2vs. 1 mm2 OPV cell efficiencies are significantly higher in single junction cells than tandem, triple, and four junction cells due to the lower operating voltage and higher current of the former. Using sub-electrodes to reduce series resistance, the power conversion efficiency (PCE) of multi-junction cells is almost independent of area from 1 mm2 to 1 cm2. Twenty-five, 1 cm2 multi-junction cell arrays are integrated in a module and connected in a series-parallel circuit configuration. A yield of 100% with a deviation of PCE from cell to cell of <10% is achieved. The module generates an output power of 162 ± 9 mW under simulated AM1.5G illumination at one sun intensity, corresponding to PCE = 6.5 ± 0.1%, slightly lower than PCE of discrete cells ranging from 6.7% to 7.2%.
Full text loading...
Most read this month