No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
A laboratory based edge-illumination x-ray phase-contrast imaging setup with two-directional sensitivity
1. A. Snigirev, I. Snigireva, V. Kohn, S. Kuznetsov, and I. Schelokov, “ On the possibilities of x-ray phase contrast microimaging by coherent high-energy synchrotron radiation,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 66, 5486–5492 (1995).
2. P. Cloetens, R. Barrett, J. Baruchel, J. P. Guigay, and M. Schlenker, “ Phase objects in synchrotron radiation hard x-ray imaging,” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 29, 133–146 (1996).
3. A. Momose, S. Kawamoto, I. Koyama, Y. Hamaishi, K. Takai, and Y. Suzuki, “ Demonstration of x-ray Talbot interferometry,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Part 2: Lett. 42, L866 (2003).
4. T. Weitkamp, A. Diaz, C. David, F. Pfeiffer, M. Stampanoni, P. Cloetens, and E. Ziegler, “ X-ray phase imaging with a grating interferometer,” Opt. Express 13, 6296–6304 (2005).
5. F. Pfeiffer, T. Weitkamp, O. Bunk, and C. David, “ Phase retrieval and differential phase-contrast imaging with low-brilliance X-ray sources,” Nat. Phys. 2, 258–261 (2006).
6. T. J. Davis, D. Gao, T. E. Gureyev, A. W. Stevenson, and S. W. Wilkins, “ Phase-contrast imaging of weakly absorbing materials using hard X-rays,” Nature 373, 595–598 (1995).
7. D. Chapman, W. Thomlinson, R. E. Johnston, D. Washburn, E. Pisano, N. Gmür, Z. Zhong, R. Menk, F. Arfelli, and D. Sayers, “ Diffraction enhanced x-ray imaging,” Phys. Med. Biol. 42, 2015–2025 (1997).
8. A. Olivo, F. Arfelli, G. Cantatore, R. Longo, R. H. Menk, S. Pani, M. Prest, P. Poropat, L. Rigon, G. Tromba, E. Vallazza, and E. Castelli, “ An innovative digital imaging set-up allowing a low-dose approach to phase contrast applications in the medical field,” Med. Phys. 28, 1610–1619 (2001).
9. A. Olivo, K. Ignatyev, P. R. T. Munro, and R. D. Speller, “ Noninterferometric phase-contrast images obtained with incoherent x-ray sources,” Appl. Opt. 50, 1765–1769 (2011).
10. P. R. T. Munro, K. Ignatyev, R. D. Speller, and A. Olivo, “ Phase and absorption retrieval using incoherent X-ray sources,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 109, 13922–13927 (2012).
11. A. Olivo and I. Robinson, “ Taking X-ray phase contrast imaging into mainstream applications' and its satellite workshop ‘Real and reciprocal space X-ray imaging’,” Philos. Trans. R. Soc. A 372, 20130359 (2014).
12. J. Zambelli, N. Bevins, Z. Qi, and G. H. Chen, “ Radiation dose efficiency comparison between differential phase contrast CT and conventional absorption CT,” Med. Phys. 37, 2473–2479 (2010).
14. T. P. Millard, M. Endrizzi, K. Ignatyev, C. K. Hagen, P. R. T. Munro, R. D. Speller, and A. Olivo, “ Method for automatization of the alignment of a laboratory based x-ray phase contrast edge illumination system,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 84, 083702 (2013).
15. T. P. Millard, M. Endrizzi, P. C. Diemoz, C. K. Hagen, and A. Olivo, “ Monte Carlo model of a polychromatic laboratory based edge illumination x-ray phase contrast system,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 85, 053702 (2014).
16. A. Olivo and R. Speller, “ A coded-aperture technique allowing x-ray phase contrast imaging with conventional sources,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 074106 (2007).
17. P. C. Diemoz, C. K. Hagen, M. Endrizzi, and A. Olivo, “ Sensitivity of laboratory based implementations of edge illumination X-ray phase-contrast imaging,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 244104 (2013).
18. P. C. Diemoz and A. Olivo, “ On the origin of contrast in edge illumination X-ray phase-contrast imaging,” Opt. Express 22, 28199–28214 (2014).
19. M. Endrizzi, F. A. Vittoria, G. Kallon, D. Basta, P. C. Diemoz, A. Vincenzi, P. Delogu, R. Bellazzini, and A. Olivo, “ Achromatic approach to phase-based multi-modal imaging with conventional X-ray sources,” Opt. Express 23, 16473 (2015).
20. P. R. T. Munro, C. K. Hagen, M. B. Szafraniec, and A. Olivo, “ A simplified approach to quantitative coded aperture X-ray phase imaging,” Opt. Express 21, 11187–11201 (2013).
21. M. Endrizzi, P. C. Diemoz, T. P. Millard, J. Louise Jones, R. D. Speller, I. K. Robinson, and A. Olivo, “ Hard X-ray dark-field imaging with incoherent sample illumination,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 104, 024106 (2014).
23. C. Kottler, C. David, F. Pfeiffer, and O. Bunk, “ A two-directional approach for grating based differential phase contrast imaging using hard x-rays,” Opt. Express 15, 1175–1181 (2007).
24. K. Nagai, “ A phase demodulation method for two-dimensional grating-based X-ray interferometry,” Philos. Trans. R. Soc. A Math. Phys. Eng. Sci. 372, 20130034 (2014).
25. H. H. Wen, E. E. Bennett, R. Kopace, A. F. Stein, and V. Pai, “ Single-shot x-ray differential phase-contrast and diffraction imaging using two-dimensional transmission gratings,” Opt. Lett. 35, 1932–1934 (2010).
26. G. Sato, T. Kondoh, H. Itoh, S. Handa, K. Yamaguchi, T. Nakamura, K. Nagai, C. Ouchi, T. Teshima, Y. Setomoto, and T. Den, “ Two-dimensional gratings-based phase-contrast imaging using a conventional x-ray tube,” Opt. Lett. 36, 3551–3553 (2011).
27. A. Olivo, S. E. Bohndiek, J. A. Griffiths, A. Konstantinidis, and R. D. Speller, “ A non-free-space propagation x-ray phase contrast imaging method sensitive to phase effects in two directions simultaneously,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 94, 044108 (2009).
28. L. Rigon, F. Arfelli, and R. H. Menk, “ Generalized diffraction enhanced imaging to retrieve absorption, refraction and scattering effects,” J. Phys. D. Appl. Phys. 40, 3077–3089 (2007).
29. K. Ignatyev, P. R. T. Munro, R. D. Speller, and A. Olivo, “ Effects of signal diffusion on x-ray phase contrast images,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 82, 073702 (2011).
30. O. Oltulu, Z. Zhong, M. Hasnah, M. N. Wernick, and D. Chapman, “ Extraction of extinction, refraction and absorption properties in diffraction enhanced imaging,” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 36, 2152–2156 (2003).
33. C. K. Hagen, P. C. Diemoz, M. Endrizzi, and A. Olivo, “ The effect of the spatial sampling rate on quantitative phase information extracted from planar and tomographic edge illumination x-ray phase contrast images,” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 47, 455401 (2014).
34. K. Scherer, L. Birnbacher, M. Chabior, J. Herzen, D. Mayr, S. Grandl, A. Sztrókay-Gaul, K. Hellerhoff, F. Bamberg, and F. Pfeiffer, “ Bi-directional x-ray phase-contrast mammography,” PLoS One 9, e93502 (2014).
35. M. Langer, P. Cloetens, and F. Peyrin, “ Regularization of phase retrieval with phase-attenuation duality prior for 3-D holotomography,” IEEE Trans. Image Process. 19, 2428–2436 (2010).
36. I. Zanette, T. Zhou, A. Burvall, U. Lundström, D. H. Larsson, M. Zdora, P. Thibault, F. Pfeiffer, and H. M. Hertz, “ Speckle-based X-ray phase-contrast and dark-field imaging with a laboratory source,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 112(25), 253903 (2014).
37. L. Rigon, H. J. Besch, F. Arfelli, R. H. Menk, G. Heitner, and H. Plothow-Besch, “ A new DEI algorithm capable of investigating sub-pixel structures,” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 36, A107–A112 (2003).
38. P. Modregger, S. Rutishauser, J. Meiser, C. David, and M. Stampanoni, “ Two-dimensional ultra-small angle X-ray scattering with grating interferometry,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 105, 024102 (2014).
Article metrics loading...
We report on a preliminary laboratory based x-ray phase-contrast imagingsystem capable of achieving two-directional phase sensitivity, thanks to the use of L-shaped apertures. We show that in addition to apparent absorption, two-directional differential phase images of an object can be quantitatively retrieved by using only three input images. We also verify that knowledge of the phase derivatives along both directions allows for straightforward phase integration with no streak artefacts, a known problem common to all differential phase techniques. In addition, an analytical method for 2-directional dark field retrieval is proposed and experimentally demonstrated.
Full text loading...
Most read this month