No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Phospholipid—polymer amphiphile hybrid assemblies and their interaction with macrophages
15. Z. Cheng, D. R. Elias, N. P. Kamat, E. D. Johnston, A. Poloukhtine, V. Popik, D. A. Hammer, and A. Tsourkas, Bioconjugate Chem. 22, 2021 (2011).
20. O. C. Farokhzad, A. Khademhosseini, S. Jon, A. Hermmann, J. Cheng, C. Chin, A. Kiselyuk, B. Teply, G. Eng, and R. Langer, Anal. Chem. 77, 5453 (2005).
21. C. Fillafer, G. Ratzinger, J. Neumann, Z. Guttenberg, S. Dissauer, I. K. Lichtscheidl, M. Wirth, F. Gabor, and M. F. Schneider, Lab Chip 9, 2782 (2009).
31. L. Hosta-Rigau, B. E. B. Jensen, K. S. Fjeldsø, A. Postma, G. Guoxin Li, K. N. Goldie, F. Albericio, A. N. Zelikin, and B. Städler, Adv. Healthcare Mater. 1, 791 (2012).
36. H. Zeng, Y. Li, H. Zhang, and X. Wang, Acta Polym. Sin. 1, 327 (2004).
Article metrics loading...
Recently, the combination of lipids and block copolymers has become an alternative to liposomes and polymersomes as nano-sized drug carriers. We synthesize novel block copolymers consisting of poly(cholesteryl acrylate) as the hydrophobic core and poly(N-isopropylacrylamide) (PNIPAAm) as the hydrophilic extensions. Their successful phospholipid-assisted assembly into vesicles is demonstrated using the evaporation-hydration method. The preserved thermo-responsive property of the lipid-polymer hybrids is shown by a temperature dependent adsorption behaviour of the vesicles to poly(l lysine) coated surfaces. As expected, the vesicle adsorption is found to be higher at elevated temperatures. The cellular uptake efficiency of hybrids is assessed using macrophages with applied shear stress. The amount of adhering macrophages is affected by the time and level of applied shear stress. Further, it is found that shorter PNIPAAm extensions lead to higher uptake of the assemblies by the macrophages with applied shear stress. No inherent cytotoxicity is observed at the tested conditions. Taken together, this first example of responsive lipid-polymer hybrids, and their positive biological evaluation makes them promising nano-sized drug carrier candidates.
Full text loading...
Most read this month