No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Chaotic behavior of three interacting vortices in a confined Bose-Einstein condensate
1. H. Aref, P. K. Newton, M. A. Stremler, T. Tokieda, and D. L. Vainchtein, “ Vortex crystals,” in Advances in Applied Mechanics (Elsevier, 2003), Vol. 39, pp. 1–79.
2. P. K. Newton, The N-Vortex Problem: Analytical Techniques (Springer-Verlag, New York, 2001).
4. B. A. Grzybowski, H. A. Stone, and G. M. Whitesides, “ Dynamic self-assembly of magnetized, millimetre-sized objects rotating at a liquid–air interface,” Nature 405, 1033–1036 (2000).
5. B. A. Grzybowski, H. A. Stone, and G. M. Whitesides, “ Dynamics of self assembly of magnetized disks rotating at the liquid–air interface,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 99, 4147–4151 (2002).
6. C. Pethick and H. Smith, Bose-Einstein Condensation in Dilute Gases (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, New York, 2008).
7. L. P. Pitaevskiĭ and S. Stringari, Bose-Einstein Condensation (Clarendon Press, Oxford, New York, 2003).
11. P. G. Kevrekidis, D. J. Frantzeskakis, and R. Carretero-González, Emergent Nonlinear Phenomena in Bose-Einstein Condensates - Theory and Experiment (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2008).
14. D. V. Freilich, D. M. Bianchi, A. M. Kaufman, T. K. Langin, and D. S. Hall, “ Real-time dynamics of single vortex lines and vortex dipoles in a Bose-Einstein condensate,” Science 329, 1182–1185 (2010).
15. S. Middelkamp, P. J. Torres, P. G. Kevrekidis, D. J. Frantzeskakis, R. Carretero-González, P. Schmelcher, D. V. Freilich, and D. S. Hall, “ Guiding-center dynamics of vortex dipoles in Bose-Einstein condensates,” Phys. Rev. A 84, 011605 (2011).
16. R. Navarro, R. Carretero-González, P. J. Torres, P. G. Kevrekidis, D. J. Frantzeskakis, M. W. Ray, E. Altuntaş, and D. S. Hall, “ Dynamics of a few corotating vortices in Bose-Einstein condensates,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 225301 (2013).
17. T. W. Neely, E. C. Samson, A. S. Bradley, M. J. Davis, and B. P. Anderson, “ Observation of vortex dipoles in an oblate Bose-Einstein condensate,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 160401 (2010).
18. J. A. Seman, E. A. L. Henn, M. Haque, R. F. Shiozaki, E. R. F. Ramos, M. Caracanhas, P. Castilho, C. Castelo Branco, P. E. S. Tavares, F. J. Poveda-Cuevas, G. Roati, K. M. F. Magalhães, and V. S. Bagnato, “ Three-vortex configurations in trapped Bose-Einstein condensates,” Phys. Rev. A 82, 033616 (2010).
22. G. Benettin, L. Galgani, A. Giorgilli, and J.-M. Strelcyn, “ Lyapunov characteristic exponents for smooth dynamical systems and for Hamiltonian systems; A method for computing all of them. Part 1: Theory,” Meccanica 15, 9–20 (1980).
23. G. Benettin, L. Galgani, A. Giorgilli, and J.-M. Strelcyn, “ Lyapunov characteristic exponents for smooth dynamical systems and for Hamiltonian systems; A method for computing all of them. Part 2: Numerical application,” Meccanica 15, 21–30 (1980).
24. C. Skokos, “ The Lyapunov characteristic exponents and their computation,” in Dynamics of Small Solar System Bodies and Exoplanets, Lecture Notes in Physics Vol. 790, edited by J. J. Souchay and R. Dvorak (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2010), pp. 63–135.
26. C. Froeschlé, R. Gonczi, and E. Lega, “ The fast Lyapunov indicator: A simple tool to detect weak chaos. Application to the structure of the main asteroidal belt,” Planet. Space Sci. 45, 881–886 (1997).
30. C. Skokos, T. C. Bountis, and C. Antonopoulos, “ Geometrical properties of local dynamics in Hamiltonian systems: The generalized alignment index (GALI) method,” Physica D 231, 30–54 (2007).
31. P. M. Cincotta and C. Simó, “ Simple tools to study global dynamics in non-axisymmetric galactic potentials - I,” Astron. Astrophys., Suppl. Ser. 147, 205–228 (2000).
32. P. M. Cincotta, C. M. Giordano, and C. Simó, “ Phase space structure of multi-dimensional systems by means of the mean exponential growth factor of nearby orbits,” Physica D 182, 151–178 (2003).
33. Z. Sándor, B. Érdi, and C. Efthymiopoulos, “ The phase space structure around l4 in the restricted three-body problem,” Celestial Mech. Dyn. Astron. 78, 113–123 (2000).
34. Z. Sándor, B. Érdi, A. Széll, and B. Funk, “ The relative Lyapunov indicator: An efficient method of chaos detection,” Celestial Mech. Dyn. Astron. 90, 127–138 (2004).
41. N. P. Maffione, L. A. Darriba, P. M. Cincotta, and C. M. Giordano, “ A comparison of different indicators of chaos based on the deviation vectors: application to symplectic mappings,” Celestial Mech. Dyn. Astron. 111, 285–307 (2011).
42. L. A. Darriba, N. P. Maffione, P. M. Cincotta, and C. M. Giordano, “ Comparative study of variational chaos indicators and ODEs' numerical integrators,” Int. J. Bifurcation Chaos Appl. Sci. Eng. 22, 1230033 (2012).
43. C. Skokos, C. Antonopoulos, T. C. Bountis, and M. N. Vrahatis, “ How does the smaller alignment index (SALI) distinguish order from chaos?,” Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl. 150, 439–443 (2003).
44. C. Skokos, C. Antonopoulos, T. C. Bountis, and M. N. Vrahatis, “ Detecting order and chaos in Hamiltonian systems by the SALI method,” J. Phys. A: Math. Gen. 37, 6269 (2004).
48. R. Capuzzo-Dolcetta, L. Leccese, D. Merritt, and A. Vicari, “ Self-consistent models of cuspy triaxial galaxies with dark matter halos,” Astrophys. J. 666, 165 (2007).
49. M. Macek, P. Stránský, P. Cejnar, S. Heinze, J. Jolie, and J. Dobeš, “ Classical and quantum properties of the semiregular arc inside the casten triangle,” Phys. Rev. C 75, 064318 (2007).
52. T. Manos and E. Athanassoula, “ Regular and chaotic orbits in barred galaxies - I. Applying the SALI/GALI method to explore their distribution in several models,” Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc. 415, 629–642 (2011).
53. J. Boreux, T. Carletti, C. Skokos, and M. Vittot, “ Hamiltonian control used to improve the beam stability in particle accelerator models,” Commun. Nonlinear Sci. Numer. Simul. 17, 1725–1738 (2012).
55. P. Benítez, J. C. Losada, R. M. Benito, and F. Borondo, “ Analysis of the full vibrational dynamics of the LiNC/LiCN molecular system,” in Progress and Challenges in Dynamical Systems, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics Vol. 54, edited by S. Ibáñez, J. S. P. d. Río, A. Pumariño, and J. Á. Rodríguez (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2013), pp. 77–88.
56. C. Antonopoulos, V. Basios, J. Demongeot, P. Nardone, and R. Thomas, “ Linear and nonlinear arabesques: A study of closed chains of negative 2-element circuits,” Int. J. Bifurcation Chaos 23, 1330033 (2013).
57. A. J. Lichtenberg and M. A. Lieberman, Regular and Chaotic Dynamics (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1992).
58. S. Middelkamp, P. G. Kevrekidis, D. J. Frantzeskakis, R. Carretero-González, and P. Schmelcher, “ Bifurcations, stability, and dynamics of multiple matter-wave vortex states,” Phys. Rev. A 82, 013646 (2010).
61. E. Hairer, S. P. Nørsett, and G. Wanner, Solving Ordinary Differential Equations I: Nonstiff Problems, 2nd ed. (Springer, 1993).
Article metrics loading...
Motivated by recent experimental works, we investigate a system of vortex dynamics in an atomic Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC), consisting of three vortices, two of which have the same charge. These vortices are modeled as a system of point particles which possesses a Hamiltonian structure. This tripole system constitutes a prototypical model of vortices in BECs exhibiting chaos. By using the angular momentum integral of motion, we reduce the study of the system to the investigation of a two degree of freedom Hamiltonian model and acquire quantitative results about its chaotic behavior. Our investigation tool is the construction of scan maps by using the Smaller ALignment Index as a chaos indicator. Applying this approach to a large number of initial conditions, we manage to accurately and efficiently measure the extent of chaos in the model and its dependence on physically important parameters like the energy and the angular momentum of the system.
Full text loading...
Most read this month