No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Synchronization of chaotic systems
6.We are grateful to E. E. Cawley for suggesting the name (private communication).
10. A. R. Volkovskii and N. F. Rul'kov, “ Experimental study of bifurcations at the threshold for stochastic locking,” Sov. Tech. Phys. Lett. 15, 249 (1989).
11. V. S. Afraimovich, N. N. Verichev, and M. I. Rabinovich, “ Stochastic synchronization of oscillations in dissipative systems,” Radiophys. Quantum Electron. 29(9), 795 (1986).
12. V. S. Afraimovich, N. N. Verichev, and M. I. Rabinovich, “ Stochastic synchronization of oscillations in dissipative systems,” Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz. 29(9), 1050 (1986).
13. A. S. Pikovskii, “ Synchronization and stochastization of array of self-excited oscillators by external noise,” Radiophys. Quantum Electron. 27(5), 390 (1984).
15. H. Fujisaka and T. Yamada, “ Stability theory of synchronized motion in coupled-oscillator systems,” Prog. Theor. Phys. 69(1), 32 (1983).
16. H. Fujisaka and T. Yamada, “ Stability theory of synchronized motion in coupled-oscillator systems. IV,” Prog. Theor. Phys. 74, 918 (1985).
17. T. Yamada and H. Fujisaka, “ Stability theory of synchronized motion in coupled-oscillator systems. II,” Prog. Theor. Phys. 70, 1240 (1983).
18. T. Yamada and H. Fujisaka, “ Stability theory of synchronized motion in coupled-oscillator systems. III,” Prog. Theor. Phys. 72, 885 (1984).
20. T. L. Carroll and L. M. Pecora, “ Synchronizing hyperchaotic volume-preserving map circuits,” IEEE Trans. Syst. Circuits 45(6), 656 (1998).
22. G. A. Johnson, D. J. Mar, T. L. Carroll et al., “ Synchronization and imposed bifurcations in the presence of large parameter mismatch,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 80(18), 3956 (1998).
32. E. Ott, private communication.
34. N. Rul'kov, M. M. Sushchik, L. S. Tsimring et al., “ Generalized synchronization of chaos in directionally coupled chaotic systems,” Phys. Rev. E 51, 980 (1995).
40. M. C. Eguia, M. I. Rabinovich, and H. D. I. Abarbane, “ Information transmission and recovery in neural communications channels,” Phys. Rev. E 62(5), 7111 (2000).
46. H. D. I. Abarbanel, D. R. Creveling, R. Farsian et al., “ Dynamical state and parameter estimation,” SIAM J. Appl. Dyn. Syst. 8(4), 1341 (2009).
47. H. Abarbanel, Predicting the Future: Completing Models of Observed Complex Systems (Understanding Complex Systems) ( Springer, Berlin, 2013).
52. I. Kanter, M. Zigzag, A. Englert et al., “ Synchronization of unidirectional time delay chaotic networks and the greatest common divisor,” Europhys. Lett. 93, 60003 (2011).
57. M. Golubisky, I. N. Stewart, and D. G. Schaeffer, Singularities and Groups in Bifurcation Theory ( Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1988), Vol. II.
58. M. Golubitsky, I. Stewart, and A. Török, “ Patterns of synchrony in coupled cell networks with multiple arrows,” SIAM J. Appl. Dyn. Syst. 4(1), 78 (2005).
59. L. M. Pecora, F. Sorrentino, A. Hagerstrom et al., “ Cluster synchronization and isolated desynchronization in complex networks with symmetries,” Nat. Commun. 5, 4079 (2014).
Article metrics loading...
We review some of the history and early work in the area of synchronization in chaotic systems. We start with our own discovery of the phenomenon, but go on to establish the historical timeline of this topic back to the earliest known paper. The topic of synchronization of chaotic systems has always been intriguing, since chaotic systems are known to resist synchronization because of their positive Lyapunov exponents. The convergence of the two systems to identical trajectories is a surprise. We show how people originally thought about this process and how the concept of synchronization changed over the years to a more geometric view using synchronization manifolds. We also show that building synchronizing systems leads naturally to engineering more complex systems whose constituents are chaotic, but which can be tuned to output various chaotic signals. We finally end up at a topic that is still in very active exploration today and that is synchronization of dynamical systems in networks of oscillators.
Full text loading...
Most read this month