No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
A two-step load-deflection procedure applicable to extract the Young's modulus and the residual tensile stress of circularly shaped thin-film diaphragms
1. M. Elwenspoek and H. Jansen , Silicon Micromachining ( Cambridge University Press, 1999).
2. W. Menz , J. Mohr , and O. Paul , Microsystem Technology, 1st ed. ( Wiley & Sons, 2008).
5. H. Lim , B. Schulkin , M. Pulickal , S. Liu , R. Petrova , G. Thomas , S. Wagner , K. Sidhu , and J. Federici , Sens. Actuators, A 119, 332 (2005).
6. O. Brand , G. Fedder , C. Hierold , J. Korvink , and O. Tabata , Reliability of MEMS: Testing of Materials and Devices ( Wiley Press, 2013).
7. V. Ziebart , “ Mechanical properties of CMOS thin films,” Ph.D. dissertation ( ETH Zurich, 1999).
9. D. R. Lide , CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 86th ed. ( CRC Press, 2005).
12. R. Sah , L. Kirste , M. Baeumler , P. Hiesinger , V. Cimalla , V. Lebedev , H. Baumann , and H.-E. Zschau , J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 28, 394 (2010).
23. M. Allen , “ Measurement of mechanical properties and adhesion of thin polyimide films,” Master's thesis (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1986).
24. M. Mehregany , “ Application of micromachined structures to the study of mechanical properties and adhesion of thin films,” Master's thesis (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1986).
26. P. Gkotsis , “ Development of mechanical reliability testing techniques with application to thin films and piezo MEMS components,” Ph.D. dissertation (Cranfield University, 2010).
28. M. Birkholz , Thin Film Analysis by X-Ray Scattering, 1st ed. ( Wiley, 2006).
35. Y. Ji , “ Multiscale investigations on structural properties and mechanical applications of carbon nanotube sheets,” Ph.D. dissertation (University of Akron, 2008).
37. J. Beams , in Structure and Properties of Thin Films, edited by C. Neugebauer , J. Newkirk , and D. Vermilyea ( Wiley, New York, 1959), pp. 183–192.
39. J. Vlassak , “ New experimental techniques and analysis methods for the study of the mechanical properties of materials in small volumes,” Ph.D. dissertation (Stanford University, 1994).
42. F. Yang and J. Li , Micro and Nano Mechanical Testing of Materials and Devices, 1st ed. ( Springer Press, 2008).
58. C. Aliprantis and K. Border , Infinite Dimensional Analysis, 3rd ed. ( Springer Press, Berlin, 2007).
59. K ≥ 4 is only required to synthesize highly sophisticated bending characteristics. In such cases, the number of terms to express , and boosts tremendously making application of software tools like MathematicaTM inevitable.
60. L. Landau , E. Lifshitz , A. Kosevich , and L. Pitajewski , Theory of Elasticity, 3rd ed., Course of Theoretical Physics Vol. 7 ( Pergamon Press, 1986).
61. This generalization allows studying the bending curvature and the LD response of diaphragms exhibiting anisotropic elastic material properties (e.g., monocrystalline silicon), which will be needed in Sec. VII.
67. S. Timoshenko , Theory of Plates and Shells, 2nd ed. ( McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 1969).
68. J. N. Reddy , Energy Principles and Variational Methods in Applied Mechanics, 2nd ed. ( Wiley & Sons, 2002).
Article metrics loading...
We report on a novel two-step load-deflection (LD) formula and technique that enables an accurate extraction of the Young's modulus and the residual tensile stress from LD measurements on circularly shaped thin-film diaphragms. This LD relationship is derived from an adaptation of Timoshenko's plate bending theory, where the in-plane and out-of-plane deflections are approximated by series expansions. Utilizing the minimum total potential energy principle yields an infinite-dimensional system of equations which is solved analytically resulting in a compact closed-form solution. In the appendant measurement procedure, the whole transverse bending characteristic of the diaphragm as a function of the radial coordinate is recorded for different pressure loads and introduced into the novel LD equation in order to determine the elastomechanical parameters of interest. The flexibility of this approach is demonstrated by ascertaining the Young's modulus and the residual tensile stress of two disparate diaphragm