No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
The rupture of viscoelastic shell bubble under high intensity ultrasound drive
1. S. M. van der Meer, B. Dollet, M. M. Voormolen, C. T. Chin, A. Bouakaz, N. de Jong, M. Versluis, and D. Lohse, “ Microbubble spectroscopy of ultrasound contrast agents,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 121, 648–656 (2007).
2. J. R. Wu, J. R. Ross, and J. F. Chiu, “ Reparable sonoporation generated by microstreaming,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 111, 1460–1464 (2002).
3. E. C. Unger, T. Porter, W. Culp, R. Labell, T. Matsunaga, and R. Zutshi, “ Therapeutic applications of lipid-coated microbubbles,” Adv. Drug Delivery Rev. 56, 1291–1314 (2004).
4. M. R. Bailey, V. A. Khokhlova, O. A. Sapozhnikov, S. G. Kargl, and L. A. Crum, “ Physical mechanisms of the therapeutic effect of ultrasound,” Acoust. Phys. 49, 369–388 (2003).
5. H. Lukka, T. Waldron, J. Chin, L. Mayhew, P. Warde, G. Rodrigues, and B. Shayegan, “ High-intensity focused ultrasound for prostate cancer: A systematic review,” Clin. Oncol. 23, 117–127 (2011).
6. A. A. Doinikov and A. Bouakaz, “ Review of shell models for contrast agent microbubbles,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 58, 981–993 (2011).
8. K. Sarkar, W. T. Shi, D. Chatterjee, and F. Forsberg, “ Characterization of ultrasound contrast microbubbles using in vitro experiments and viscous and viscoelastic interface models for encapsulation,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 118, 539–550 (2005).
9. C. C. Church, “ The effects of an elastic solid surface layer on the radial pulsations of gas bubbles,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 97, 1510–1521 (1995).
10. L. Hoff, P. C. Sontum, and J. M. Hovem, “ Oscillations of polymeric microbubbles: Effect of the encapsulating shell,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 107, 2272–2280 (2000).
11. A. A. Doinikov and P. A. Dayton, “ Maxwell rheological model for lipid-shelled ultrasound microbubble contrast agents,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 121, 3331–3340 (2007).
14. A. Prosperetti, “ Viscous effects on perturbed spherical flows,” Q. Appl. Math. 34, 339–352 (1977).
15. L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Theory of Elasticity, 3rd ed. ( Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1986), Chap. 1.
16. J. Lubliner, Plasticity Theory, revised ed. ( Dover, New York, 2008), Chap. 8.
18. L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Fluid Mechanics, 2nd ed. ( Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1987), Chap. 2.
20. H. G. Flynn, Physical Acoustics, W. P. Mason ed. ( Academic Press, MA, 1964), Chap. 9.
26. S. Qin, C. F. Caskey, and K. W. Ferrara, “ Ultrasound contrast microbubbles in imaging and therapy: Physical principles and engineering,” Phys. Med. Biol. 54, R27–R57 (2009).
27. F. P. Beer, E. R. Johnston, J. T. DeWolf, and D. F. Mazurek, Mechanics of Materials, 6th ed. ( McGraw-Hill, 2012), Chap. 7.
28. C. K. Yeh, S. Y. Su, and W. S. Chen, “ Destruction threshold parameters estimation for ultrasonic contrast agents,” J. Med. Biol. Eng. 25, 159–163 (2005).
29. K. Yasui, J. Lee, T. Tuziuti, A. Towata, T. Kozuka, and Y. Iida, “ Influence of the bubble-bubble interaction on destruction of encapsulated microbubbles under ultrasound,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 126, 973–982 (2009).
31. W. Lauterborn, “ Numerical investigation of nonlinear oscillations of gas bubbles in liquids,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 59, 283–293 (1976).
Article metrics loading...
A model for encapsulated bubble (EB) used in ultrasonic therapy is presented discussing EB's finite amplitude oscillation and rupture under high intensity ultrasound drive. The shell of EB, which is the key to EB dynamics, is treated as a layer of viscoelastic material and its large deformation and stress are expressed analytically. By introducing the critical tolerable stress of the shell material, the threshold drive pressure for the rupture of an EB can be calculated in the framework of the model. The oscillation of an EB on the verge of its rupture is simulated and the results are in agreement with the reported experimental data. The relationship between the drive frequency and EB's rupture is also investigated.
Full text loading...
Most read this month