No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Reconstructing equilibrium entropy and enthalpy profiles from non-equilibrium pulling
6. G. Hummer and A. Szabo, “Free energy reconstruction from nonequilibrium single-molecule pulling experiments,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 98, 3658–3661 (2001).
7. J. P. M. Postma, H. J. C. Berendsen, and J. R. Haak, “Thermodynamics of cavity formation in water—A molecular-dynamics study,” Faraday Symp. Chem. Soc. 17, 55–67 (1982).
8. D. Smith and A. Haymet, “Free-energy, entropy and internal energy of hydrophobic interactions-Computer simulations,” J. Chem. Phys. 98, 6445–6454 (1993).
9. A. Wallqvist and B. J. Berne, “Computer-simulation of hydrophobic hydration forces on stacked plates at short-range,” J. Phys. Chem. 99, 2893–2899 (1995).
10. N. Lu, D. A. Kofke, and T. B. Woolf, “Staging is more important than perturbation method for computation of enthalpy and entropy changes in complex systems,” J. Phys. Chem. B 107, 5598–5611 (2003).
11. J. Nummela, F. Yassin, and I. Andricioaei, “Entropy-enthalpy decomposition from nonequilibrium work trajectories,” J. Chem. Phys. 128, 024104 (2008).
17. D. D. L. Minh and J. D. Chodera, “Estimating equilibrium ensemble averages using multiple time slices from driven nonequilibrium processes: Theory and application to free energies, moments, and thermodynamic length in single-molecule pulling experiments,” J. Chem. Phys. 134, 024111 (2011).
18. D. D. L. Minh and S. Vaikuntanathan, “Density-dependent analysis of nonequilibrium paths improves free energy estimates. II. A Feynman-Kac formalism,” J. Chem. Phys. 134, 034117 (2011).
19. A. B. Adib, “Stochastic actions for diffusive dynamics: Reweighting, sampling, and minimization,” J. Phys. Chem. B 112, 5910–5916 (2008).
20. J. Liphardt, S. Dumont, S. Smith, I. Tinoco, and C. Bustamante, “Equilibrium information from nonequilibrium measurements in an experimental test of Jarzynski's equality,” Science 296, 1832–1835 (2002).
21. D. Collin, F. Ritort, C. Jarzynski, S. B. Smith, I. Tinoco, and C. Bustamante, “Verification of the crooks fluctuation theorem and recovery of RNA folding free energies,” Nature (London) 437, 231–234 (2005).
22. N. C. Harris, Y. Song, and C.-H. Kiang, “Experimental free energy surface reconstruction from single-molecule force spectroscopy using Jarzynski's equality,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 068101 (2007).
23. D. Brockwell, E. Paci, R. Zinober, G. Beddard, P. Olmsted, D. Smith, R. Perham, and S. Radford, “Pulling geometry defines the mechanical resistance of a beta-sheet protein,” Nat. Struct. Biol. 10, 731–737 (2003).
24. M. Carrion-Vazquez, H. Li, H. Lu, P. Marszalek, A. Oberhauser, and J. Fernandez, “The mechanical stability of ubiquitin is linkage dependent,” Nat. Struct. Biol. 10, 738–743 (2003).
25. G. Yang, C. Cecconi, W. Baase, I. Vetter, W. Breyer, J. Haack, B. Matthews, F. Dahlquist, and C. Bustamante, “Solid-state synthesis and mechanical unfolding of polymers of T4 lysozyme,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 97, 139–144 (2000).
26. A. J. Wilcox, J. Choy, C. Bustamante, and A. Matouschek, “Effect of protein structure on mitochondrial import,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 102, 15435–15440 (2005).
27. X. S. Xie, “Single-molecule approach to dispersed kinetics and dynamic disorder: Probing conformational fluctuation and enzymatic dynamics,” J. Chem. Phys. 117, 11024–11032 (2002).
30. S. Paramore, G. S. Ayton, and G. A. Voth, “Extending the fluctuation theorem to describe reaction coordinates,” J. Chem. Phys. 126, 051102 (2007).
Article metrics loading...
The Jarzynski identity can be applied to instances when a microscopic system is pulled repeatedly but quickly along some coordinate, allowing the calculation of an equilibrium free energy profile along the pulling coordinate from a set of independent non-equilibrium trajectories. Using the formalism of Wiener stochastic path integrals in which we assign temperature-dependent weights to Langevin trajectories, we derive exact formulae for the temperature derivatives of the free energy profile. This leads naturally to analytical expressions for decomposing a free energy profile into equilibrium entropy and internal energy profiles from non-equilibrium pulling. This decomposition can be done from trajectories evolved at a unique temperature without repeating the measurement as done in finite-difference decompositions. Three distinct analytical expressions for the entropy-energy decomposition are derived: using a time-dependent generalization of the weighted histogram analysis method, a quasi-harmonic spring limit, and a Feynman-Kac formula. The three novel formulae of reconstructing the pair of entropy-energy profiles are exemplified by Langevin simulations of a two-dimensional model system prototypical for force-induced biomolecular conformational changes. Connections to single-molecule experimental means to probe the functionals needed in the decomposition are suggested.
Full text loading...
Most read this month