No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Report on the IUTAM Symposium on Mobile Particulate Systems: Kinematics, Rheology, and Complex Phenomena, Bangalore, India, 2012
1.The scientific committee appointed by the IUTAM was: John F. Brady (California Institute of Technology, USA), Joe D. Goddard (University of California at San Diego, USA), Elisabeth Guazzelli (Aix-Marseille Universite, France), Hisao Hayakawa (Kyoto University, Japan), Devang Khakhar (Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India), L. Gary Leal (University of California at Santa Barbara, USA), Prabhu R. Nott (Chair, Indian Institute of Science, India), and Sankaran Sundaresan (Princeton University, USA).
3. E. Guazzelli and L. Oger, Mobile Particulate Systems, NATO ASI Series E: Applied Sciences (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1995).
4.These include the IUTAM Symposium on Hydrodynamic Diffusion of Suspended Particles held in 1995 at Estes Park, USA,69 the IUTAM Symposium on Interactions for Dispersed Systems in Newtonian and Viscoelastic Fluids held in 2006 at Guanajuato, Mexico,70 the IUTAM Symposium on Recent Advances in Multiphase Flow held in 2008 at Istanbul, Turkey,71 and the IUTAM-ISIMM Symposium on Mathematical Modeling and Physical Instances of Granular Flows held in 2009 at Reggio Calabria, Italy.72
6. H. Nicolai and E. Guazzelli, “Effect of the vessel size on the hydrodynamic diffusion of sedimenting spheres,” Phys. Fluids 7, 3 (1995).
8. D. C. Gómez, L. Bergougnoux, J. Hinch, and E. Guazzelli, “On stratification control of the velocity fluctuations in sedimentation,” Phys. Fluids 19, 098102 (2007).
10. Y. Oyama, Bull. Inst. Phys. Chem. Res. Jpn. Report 5 18, 600 (1939).
12. M. Tirumkudulu, A. Tripathi, and A. Acrivos, “Particle segregation in monodisperse sheared suspensions,” Phys. Fluids 11, 507 (1999).
16. É. Couturier, F. Boyer, O. Pouliquen, and É. Guazzelli, “Suspensions in a tilted trough: second normal stress difference,” J. Fluid Mech. 686, 26 (2011).
21. A. N. Schofield and C. P. Wroth, Critical State Soil Mechanics (McGraw-Hill, London, 1968).
22. R. Jackson, “Some mathematical and physical aspects of continuum models for the motion of the granular materials,” in Theory of Dispersed Multiphase Flow, edited by R. E. Meyer (Academic Press, New York, 1983), pp. 291–337.
23. K. K. Rao and P. R. Nott, An Introduction to Granular Flow (Cambridge University Press, New York, 2008).
25. P. Dantu, “Contribution à l'étude mécanique et géometrique des milieux pulveérulents,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundations Engineering (Butterworths, London, 1957), pp. 144–148.
32. W. M. Visscher and M. Bolsterli, “Random packing of equal and unequal spheres in two and three dimensions,” Nature (London) 239, 504–507 (1972).
36. J. Jenkins and M. Richman, “Kinetic theory for plane flows of a dense gas of identical, rough, inelastic, circular disks,” Phys. Fluids 28, 3485 (1985).
38. F. Pacheco-Vázquez, G. Caballero-Robledo, J. Solano-Altamirano, E. Altshuler, A. Batista-Leyva, and J. Ruiz-Suárez, “Infinite penetration of a projectile into a granular medium,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 218001 (2011).
40. C. Johnson, B. Kokelaar, R. Iverson, M. Logan, R. LaHusen, and J. Gray, “Grain-size segregation and levee formation in geophysical mass flows,” J. Geophysical Res. 117, F01032, doi:10.1029/2011JF002185 (2012).
45. T. Börzsönyi, B. Szabó, G. Törös, S. Wegner, J. Török, E. Somfai, T. Bien, and R. Stannarius, “Orientational order and alignment of elongated particles induced by shear,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 228302 (2012).
46. M. Sommerfeld, “Validation of a stochastic Lagrangian modelling approach for inter-particle collisions in homogeneous isotropic turbulence,” Int. J. Multiphase Flow 27, 1829–1858 (2001).
47. O. Simonin, E. Deutsch, and J. P. Minier, Eulerian Prediction of the Fluid/Particle Correlated Motion in Turbulent Two-phase Flows (Springer, 1993).
48. E. Meneguz and M. W. Reeks, “Statistical properties of particle segregation in homogeneous isotropic turbulence,” J. Fluid Mech. 686, 338 (2011).
49. R. H. A. Ijzermans, E. Meneguz, and M. W. Reeks, “Segregation of particles in incompressible random flows: singularities, intermittency and random uncorrelated motion,” J. Fluid Mech. 653, 99 (2010).
51. S. Roy, A. Kemoun, M. H. Al-Dahhan, and M. P. Dudukovic, “Experimental investigation of the hydrodynamics in a liquid–solid riser,” AIChE J. 51, 802–835 (2005).
54. P. T. Underhill and M. D. Graham, “Correlations and fluctuations of stress and velocity in suspensions of swimming microorganisms,” Phys. Fluids 23, 121902 (2011).
57. D. Saintillan and M. J. Shelley, “Instabilities, pattern formation, and mixing in active suspensions,” Phys. Fluids 20, 123304 (2008).
58. A. Sokolov, R. E. Goldstein, F. I. Feldchtein, and I. S. Aranson, “Enhanced mixing and spatial instability in concentrated bacterial suspensions,” Phys. Rev. E 80, 031903 (2009).
64. P. Bhattacharjee, A. McDonnell, R. Prabhakar, L. Yeo, and J. Friend, “Extensional flow of low-viscosity fluids in capillary bridges formed by pulsed surface acoustic wave jetting,” New J. Phys. 13, 023005 (2011).
66. J. F. Brady, “Particle motion driven by solute gradients with application to autonomous motion: Continuum and colloidal perspectives,” J. Fluid Mech. 667, 216–259 (2011).
70. M. Denn, E. Meiburg, J. Morris, E. Shaqfeh, and T. Squires, “Report of the symposium on interactions for dispersed systems in Newtonian and viscoelastic fluids,” Phys. Fluids 18, 121501 (2006).
71. A. Acrivos and C. Delale, “Report on the IUTAM Symposium on Recent Advances in Multiphase Flows: Numerical and Experimental (11–14 June 2007, Istanbul, Turkey),” Phys. Fluids 20, 040501 (2008).
72. IUTAM-ISIMM Symposium on Mathematical Modeling and Physical Instances of Granular Flows, Reggio Calabria, Italy, 14–18 September 2009, AIP Conference Proceedings Vol. 1227, edited by J. Goddard, J. Jenkins, and P. Giovine (American Institute of Physics, 2010).
Article metrics loading...
This report summarizes the presentations and discussions conducted during the symposium, which was held under the aegis of the International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics during 23–27 January 2012 in Bangalore, India.
Full text loading...
Most read this month