No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Novel features of a fully developed mixing-layer between co-flowing laminar and turbulent Couette flows
4. S. Corrsin and A. L. Kistler, “Free-stream boundaries of turbulent flows,” NACA Technical Report No. TN-1244, Washington, DC, 1955.
6. C. B. da Silva and R. J. N. dos Reis, “The role of coherent vortices near the turbulent/non-turbulent interface in a planar jet,” Philos. Trans. R. Soc. A 369, 738–753 (2011).
7. C. M. de Silva, J. Philip, K. Chauhan, C. Meneveau, and I. Marusic, “Multiscale geometry and scaling of the turbulent-nonturbulent interface in high Reynolds number boundary layers,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 044501 (2013).
8. Y. Duguet, O. Le Maître, and P. Schlatter, “Stochastic and deterministic motion of a laminar-turbulent front in a spanwisely extended Couette flow,” Phys. Rev. E 84, 066315 (2011).
12. T. Gourlay, “Flow beneath a ship at small underkeel clearance,” J. Ship Res. 50, 250–258 (2006).
13. T. M. Schneider, F. D. Lillo, J. Buehrle, B. Eckhardt, T. Dörnemann, K. Dörnemann, and B. Freisleben, “Transient turbulence in plane Couette flow,” Phys. Rev. E 81, 015301 (2010).
16. K. H. Bech, N. Tillmark, P. H. Alfredsson, and H. I. Andersson, “An investigation of turbulent plane Couette flow at low Reynolds numbers,” J. Fluid Mech. 286, 291–325 (1995).
17. A. Holstad, P. S. Johansson, H. I. Andersson, and B. Pettersen, “On the influence of domain size on POD modes in turbulent plane Couette flow,” in Proceedings of the 6th Direct and Large-Eddy Simulation (DLES6), Poitiers, September 2005, edited by E. Lamballais et al. (ERCOFTAC Series, 2006), Vol. 10, pp. 763–770.
19. A. Holstad, H. I. Andersson, and B. Pettersen, “Turbulence in a three-dimensional wall-bounded shear flow,” Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids 62, 875–905 (2010).
22. O. Kitoh, K. Nakabyashi, and F. Nishimura, “Experimental study on mean velocity and turbulence characteristics of plane Couette flow: Low-Reynolds-number effects and large longitudinal vortical structure,” J. Fluid Mech. 539, 199–227 (2005).
23. T. Tsukahara, H. Kawamura, and K. Shingai, “DNS of turbulent Couette flow with emphasis on the large-scale structure in the core region,” J. Turbul. 7, N19 (2006).
Article metrics loading...
A new flow configuration has been proposed in which a bilateral mixing-layer exists in the junction between co-flowing laminar and turbulent plane Couette flows. Contrary to a classical plane mixing-layer, the present mixing-layer did neither grow in time nor in streamwise direction. However, the mixing zone varied with the distance from the stationary wall. A direct numerical simulation showed that very-large-scale flow structures were found in the turbulent part of the flow with Reynolds number 1300 based on half the velocity U 1 of the fastest-moving wall and half of the distance 2h between the walls. The laminar-turbulent interface exhibited a large-scale meandering motion with frequency 0.014U 1/h and wavelength about 25h. Large-scale Taylor-Görtler-like roll cells were observed in the nominally laminar flow region with Reynolds number 260. This tailor-made flow is particularly well suited for explorations of momentum transfer and intermittency in the vicinity of the laminar-turbulent interface.
Full text loading...
Most read this month