No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Numerical simulation of bubble dispersion in turbulent Taylor-Couette flow
7. A. Barcilon, J. Brindley, M. Lessen, and F. R. Mobbs, “Marginal instability in Taylor-Couette flows at a very high Taylor number,” J. Fluid Mech. 94, 453–463 (1979).
11. E. Climent and J. Magnaudet, “Dynamics of two-dimensional upflowing mixing layer seeded with bubbles: Bubble dispersion and effect of two-way coupling,” Phys. Fluids 18, 103304 (2006).
15. H. Djeridi, C. Gabillet, and J. Y. Billard, “Two-phase Couette-Taylor flow: Arrangement of the dispersed phase and effects on the flow structures,” Phys. Fluids 16(1), 128 (2004).
16. A. Mehel, C. Gabillet, and H. Djeridi, “Analysis of the flow pattern modifications in a bubbly Couette-Taylor flow,” Phys. Fluids 19, 118101 (2007).
20. Y. Watamura, W. Takeda, and Y. Murai, “Intensified and attenuated waves in a microbubble Taylor-Couette flow,” Phys. Fluids 25, 054107 (2013).
21. D. P. M. Van Gils, G. W. Bruggert, D. P. Lathrop, C. Sun, and D. Lohse, “The Twente turbulent Taylor-Couette (T3C) facility: Strongly turbulent (multiphase) flow between two independently rotating cylinders,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 82, 025105 (2011).
22. D. P. M. Van Gils, D. Narzeo Guzman, C. Sun, and D. Lohse, “The importance of bubble deformability for strong drag reduction in bubbly turbulent Taylor-Couette flow,” J. Fluid Mech. 722, 317–347 (2013).
23. E. Climent, M. Simonnet, and J. Magnaudet, “Preferential accumulation of bubbles in Couette-Taylor flow patterns,” Phys. Fluids 19, 083301 (2007).
26. I. Calmet and J. Magnaudet, “Statistical structure of high-Reynolds number turbulence close to the free surface of an open-channel flow,” J. Fluid Mech. 474, 355–378 (2003).
28. J. E. Burkhalter and E. L. Koschmieder, “Steady supercritical Taylor vortices after sudden starts,” Phys. Fluids 17(11), 1929 (1974).
30. A. Racina, “Vermischung in Taylor-Couette Strömung,” Ph.D. thesis (Université de Karlsruhe, Juillet, 2008).
31. A. Mehel, “Étude expérimentale d'un écoulement diphasique de Taylor Couette,” Ph.D. thesis (Université de Nantes, Juin, 2006).
32. A. Bouabdallah, “Instabilités et turbulence dans l'écoulement de Taylor-Couette,” Ph.D. thesis (Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine, Juin, 1980).
35. F. Wendt, “Turbulente Strömungen zwischen zwei rotierenden konaxialen Zylindern,” Ingenieur Archiv, 1933.
36. R. Ostilla-Mónico, S. G. Huisman, T. J. G. Jannink, D. P. M. Van Gils, R. Verzicco, S. Grossmann, C. Sun, and D. Lohse, “Optimal Taylor–Couette flow: radius ratio dependence,” J. Fluid Mech. 747, 1–29 (2014).
37. S. Merbold, H. J. Brauckmann, and C. Egbers, “Torque measurements and numerical determination in differentially rotating wide gap Taylor-Couette flow,” Phys. Rev. E 87, 023014 (2013).
39. B. Eckhardt, L. Grossmann, and D. Lohse, “Torque scaling in turbulent Taylor-Couette flow between independently rotating cylinders,” J. Fluid Mech. 581, 221–250 (2007).
45. R. Mei, J. F. Klausner, and C. J. Lawrence, “A note on the history force on a spherical bubble at finite Reynolds number,” Phys. Fluids 6(1), 418–420 (1994).
48. D. Legendre, C. Colin, J. Fabre, and J. Magnaudet, “Influence of gravity upon the bubble distribution in a turbulent pipe flow: Comparison between numerical simulations and experimental data,” J. Chim. Phys. 96(6), 951–957 (1999).
50. H. J. Brauckmann and B. Eckhardt, “Direct numerical simulations of local and global torque in Taylor-Couette flow up to re=30000,” J. Fluid Mech. 718, 398 (2013).
51. F. Takemura and J. Magnaudet, “The transverse force on clean and contaminated bubbles rising near a vertical wall at moderate Reynolds number,” J. Fluid Mech 495, 235–253 (2003).
52. A. Giusti, F. Lucci, and A. Soldati, “Influence of the lift force in direct numerical simulation of upward/downward turbulent channel flow laden with surfactant contaminated microbubbles,” Chem. Eng. Sci. 60, 6176–6187 (2005).
Article metrics loading...
We investigate bubble dispersion in turbulent Taylor-Couette flow. The aim of this study is to describe the main mechanisms yielding preferential bubble accumulation in near-wall structures of the flow. We first proceed to direct numerical simulation of Taylor-Couette flows for three different geometrical configurations (three radius ratios η = R 1/R 2: η = 0.5, η = 0.72, and η = 0.91 with the outer cylinder at rest) and Reynolds numbers corresponding to turbulent regime ranging from 3000 to 8000. The statistics of the flow are discussed using two different averaging procedures that permit to characterize the mean azimuthal velocity, the Taylor vortices contribution and the small-scale turbulent fluctuations. The simulations are compared and validated with experimental and numerical data from literature. The second part of this study is devoted to bubble dispersion. Bubble accumulation is analyzed by comparing the dispersion obtained with the full turbulent flow field to bubble dispersion occurring at lower Reynolds numbers in previous works. Several patterns of preferential accumulation of bubbles have been observed depending on bubble size and the effect of gravity. For the smaller size considered, bubbles disperse homogeneously throughout the gap, while for the larger size they accumulate along the inner wall for the large gap width (η = 0.5). Varying the intensity of buoyancy yields complex evolution of the bubble spatial distribution. For low gravity effect, bubble entrapment is strong leading to accumulation along the inner wall in outflow regions (streaks of low wall shear stress). When buoyancy effect dominates on vortex trapping, bubbles rise through the vortices, while spiral patterns stretched along the inner cylinder are clearly identified. Force balance is analyzed to identify dominating forces leading to this accumulation and accumulation patterns are compared with previous experiments.
Full text loading...
Most read this month