No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
The effects of laser absorption on direct-drive capsule experiments at OMEGA
3. T. R. Boehly, D. L. Brown, R. S. Craxton, R. L. Keck, J. P. Knauer, J. H. Kelly, T. J. Kessler, S. A. Kumpan, S. J. Loucks, S. A. Letzring, F. J. Marshall, R. L. McCrory, S. F. B. Morse, W. Seka, M. M. Soures, and C. P. Verdon, Opt. Commun. 133, 495 (1997).
4. D. C. Wilson, G. A. Kyrala, J. F. Benage, Jr., F. J. Wysocki, M. A. Gunderson, W. J. Garbett, V. Yu. Glebov, J. Frenje, B. Yaakobi, H. W. Herrmann, J. H. Cooley, L. Welser-Sherrill, C. J. Horsfield, and S. A. Roberts, J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 112, 022015 (2008).
5. W. J. Garbett, S. James, G. A. Kyrala, D. C. Wilson, J. F. Benage, F. J. Wysocki, M. A. Gunderson, J. Frenje, R. Petrasso, V. Yu. Glebov, and B. Yaakobi, J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 112, 022016 (2008).
6. J. R. Rygg, J. A. Frenje, C. K. Li, F. H. Seguin, R. D. Petrasso, J. A. Delettrez, V. Yu. Glebov, V. N. Goncharov, D. D. Meyerhofer, S. P. Regan, T. C. Sangster, and C. Stoeckl, Phys. Plasmas 13, 056702 (2006).
7. H. W. Herrmann, J. R. Langenbrunner, J. M. Mack, J. H. Cooley, D. C. Wilson, S. C. Evans, T. J. Sedillo, G. A. Kyrala, S. E. Caldwell, C. S. Young, A. Nobile, J. Wermer, S. Paglieri, A. M. McEvoy, Y. Kim, S. H. Batha, C. J. Horsfield, D. Drew, W. Garbett, M. Rubery, V. Yu. Glebov, S. Roberts, and J. A. Frenje, Phys. Plasmas 16, 056312 (2009).
8. A. Nikroo, F. H. Elsner, D. G. Czechowicz, J. Gibson, S. E. Grant, A. L. Greenwood, M. L. Hoppe, D. Hysband, B. W. McQuillan, W. J. Miller, J. M. Ponteandolfo, D. A. Steinman, R. B. Stevens, K. R. Schulkz, and M. Takagi, “ Capsule production and development for ICF experiments,” General Atomics Report No. GA-A23228, 1999.
9. G. A. Kyrala, J. F. Benage, M. A. Gunderson, D. C. Wilson, K. A. Klare, J. Frenje, R. Petrasso, B. Yaakobi, V. Glebov, W. Garbett, and S. James, “ Post-shot report high Z implosions March 1st 2006,” Los Alamos National Laboratory Report No. LA-UR-06-5467, 2006;
9. G. A. Kyrala, “ Pre-shot report for January 18th 2007 Hi-Z experiments,” Los Alamos National Laboratory Report No. LA-UR-07-0301, 2007.
10. F. J. Marshall, J. A. Delettrez, R. Epstein, R. Forties, R. L. Keck, J. H. Kelly, P. W. McKenty, S. P. Regan, and L. J. Waxer, Phys. Plasmas 11, 251 (2004).
12. W. Kruer, “ The physics of laser-plasma interaction,” in Frontiers in Physics, edited by D. Pines (Addison-Wesley, Redwood City, CA, 1988), Vol. 73, Chaps. VII and VIII, pp. 73–94.
13. W. Seka, D. H. Edgell, J. P. Knauer, J. F. Myatt, A. V. Maximov, R. W. Short, T. C. Sangster, C. Stoeckl, R. E. Bahr, R. S. Craxton, J. A. Delettrez, V. N. Goncharov, I. V. Igumenshchev, and D. Shvarts, Phys. Plasmas 15, 056312 (2008).
14. D. H. Edgell, W. Seka, J. A. Delettrez, R. S. Craxton, V. N. Goncharov, I. V. Igumenshchev, J. F. Myatt, A. V. Maximov, R. W. Short, T. C. Sangster, and R. E. Bahr, Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 54, 145 (2009).
16. J. A. Frenje, C. K. Li, F. H. Séguin, J. Deciantis, S. Kurebayashi, J. R. Rygg, R. D. Petrasso, J. Delettrez, V. Yu. Glebov, C. Stoeckl, F. J. Marshall, D. D. Meyerhofer, T. C. Sangster, V. A. Smalyuk, and J. M. Soures, Phys. Plasmas 11, 2798 (2004).
17. B. Yaakobi, S. Skupsky, R. L. McCrory, C. F. Hooper, H. Deckman, P. Bourke, and J. M. Soures, Phys. Rev. Lett. 44, 1072 (1980);
17. S. P. Regan, J. A. Delettrez, R. Epstein, P. A. Jaanimagi, B. Yaakobi, V. A. Smalyuk, F. J. Marshall, D. D. Meyerhofer, W. Seka, D. A. Haynes, I. E. Golovkin, and C. F. Hooper, Phys. Plasmas 9, 1357 (2002).
19. G. A. Kyrala, D. C. Wilson, J. F. Benage, Jr., M. Gunderson, K. Klare, J. Frenje, R. Petrasso, W. Garbett, S. James, V. Glebov, and B. Yaakobi, High Energy Density Phys. 3, 163 (2007).
26. D. Mihalas and B. Weibel-Mihalas, Foundations of Radiation Hydrodynamics (Dover, 1999), Sec. 103, pp. 547–557.
31. V. N. Goncharov, T. C. Sangster, P. B. Radha, R. Betti, T. R. Boehly, T. J. B. Collins, R. S. Craxton, J. A. Delettrez, R. Epstein, V. Yu. Glebov, S. X. Hu, I. V. Igumenshchev, J. P. Knauer, S. J. Loucks, J. A. Marozas, F. J. Marshall, R. L. McCrory, P. W. McKenty, D. D. Meyerhofer, S. P. Regan, W. Seka, S. Skupsky, V. A. Smalyuk, J. M. Soures, C. Stoeckl, D. Shvarts, J. A. Frenje, R. D. Petrasso, C. K. Li, F. Seguin, W. Manheimer, and D. G. Colombant, Phys. Plasmas 15, 056310 (2008).
33. M. D. Rosen, H. A. Scott, D. E. Hinkel, E. A. Williams, D. A. Callahan, R. P. J. Town, L. Divol, P. A. Michel, W. L. Kruer, L. J. Suter, R. A. London, J. A. Harte, and G. B. Zimmerman, High Energy Density Phys. 7, 180 (2011).
34. T. R. Boehly, V. N. Goncharov, W. Seka, M. A. Barrios, P. M. Celliers, D. G. Hicks, G. W. Collins, S. X. Hu, J. A. Marozas, and D. D. Meyerhofer, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 195005 (2011).
35. T. E. Blue and D. B. Harris, Nucl. Sci. Eng. 77, 463 (1981);
35. H. Azechi, N. Miyanaga, R. O. Stapf, K. Itoga, H. Nakaishi, M. Yamanaka, H. Shiraga, R. Tsuji, S. Ido, K. Nishihara, Y. Izawa, T. Yamanaka, and C. Yamanaka, Appl. Phys. Lett. 49, 555 (1986).
37. P. Michel, S. H. Glenzer, L. Divol, D. K. Bradley, D. Callahan, S. Dixit, S. Glenn, D. Hinkel, R. K. Kirkwood, J. L. Kline, W. L. Kruer, G. A. Kyrala, S. Le Pape, N. B. Meezan, R. Town, K. Widmann, E. A. Williams, B. J. MacGowan, J. Lindl, and L. J. Suter, Phys. Plasmas 17, 056305 (2010).
38. I. V. Igumenshchev, D. H. Edgell, V. N. Goncharov, J. A. Delettrez, A. V. Maximov, J. F. Myatt, W. Seka, A. Shvydky, S. Skupsky, and C. Stoeckl, Phys Plasmas 17, 122708 (2010).
Article metrics loading...
The yield of an inertial confinement fusion capsule can be greatly affected by the inclusion of high-Z material in the fuel, either intentionally as a diagnostic or from mixing due to hydrodynamic instabilities. To validate calculations of these conditions, glass shell targets filled with a D2 and 3He fuel mixture were fielded in experiments with controlled amounts of pre-mixed Ar, Kr, or Xe. The experiments were fielded at the OMEGA laser [T. R. Boehly et al., Opt. Commun. 133, 495 (1997)] using 1.0 ns square laser pulses having a total energy 23 kJ and direct drive illumination of shells with an outer diameter of ∼925 μm and a thickness of ∼5 μm. Data were collected and compared to one-dimensional integrated models for yield and burn-temperature measurements. This paper presents a critical examination of the calculational assumptions used in our experimental modeling. A modified treatment of laser-capsule interaction improves the match to the measured scattered laser light and also improves agreement for yields, burn-temperatures, and the fuel compression as measured by the ratio of two yields. Remaining discrepancies between measurement and calculation will also be discussed.
Full text loading...
Most read this month