No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Invited Review Article: The electrostatic plasma lens
1. J. Koch, Electromagnetic Isotope Separators and Applications of Electromagnetically Enriched Isotopes (North Holland, Amsterdam, 1958).
2. A. J. T. Holmes, in The Physics and Technology of Ion Sources, edited by I. G. Brown (Wiley, New York, 1989), p. 53.
4. F. Winterberg, Z. Naturforsch. 32a, 840 (1977).
7. M. D. Gabovich, A. A. Goncharov, I. M. Protsenko, and S. V. Kharitonov, in Proceedings of the XIIIth International Conference on Ionized Gases, Berlin, 1977 (Physical Society of the GDR, Berlin, 1977), p. 919;
7.See also A. A. Goncharov, I. M. Protsenko, and V. V. Tsiolko, Zh. Tech. Fiz. 50(12), 2556 (1980).
8. A. I. Morozov, Dokl. Acad. Nauk. USSR 163(6), 1363 (1965).
9. A. I. Morozov, Introduction to Plasmadynamics (Fismatlit, Moscow, 2008), p. 572.
10. A. I. Morozov and S. Lebedev, in Reviews of Plasma Physics, edited by M. Leontovich (Consultants Bureau, New York, 1975), p. 247.
12. O. Meusel, A. Bechtold, J. Pozimski, U. Ratzinger, A. Schempp, and H. Klein, in Proceedings of LINAC 2004, Lübeck, Germany (World Scientific, 2004), pp. 465–467.
13. K. Schulte, M. Droba, B. Glaeser, S. Klaproth, O. Meusel, and U. Ratzinger, in Proceedings of IPAC2012, New Orleans, LA (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., 2012), pp. 1164–1166.
14. A. Goncharov, A. Zatuagan, and I. Protsenko, Pis'ma Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 15(6), 1 (1989).
18. V. Zhykov, A. Morozov, and G. Schepkin, JETP Lett. 9(1), 24 (1969);
18.See also A. I. Morozov, “Plasmadynamics,” in Encyclopedia of Low-Temperature Plasma, edited by V. E. Fortov (Springer, 2008), Vol. 46.
19. M. Gabovich, I. Gasanov, and I. Protsenko, Pis'ma Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 3(21), 1153 (1977);
19.See also M. Gabovich, I. Gasanov, and I. Protsenko, Plasma Lenses for Formation of Ion Beams (Institute of Physics AS USSR, Kiev, 1982), Preprint # 8.
20. I. Aksenov, V. Padalka, and V. Khoroshikh, Plasma Phys. Rep. 6(2), 312 (1980).
23. A. Goncharov and I. Protsenko, Ukr. Phys. J. 6(11), 1659 (1991).
24. M. D. Gabovich, Physics and Techniques of Plasma Ion Sources (Atomisdat, Moscow, 1972), p. 247;
24.See also J. R. Pierce, Theory and Designs of Electron Beams (Van Nostrand, New York, 1954).
29. I. G. Brown, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 65, 3061 (1994);
29.See also The Physics and Technology of Ion Sources, edited by I. G. Brown (Wiley, New York, 1989), pp. 257–284.
33. I. Protsenko, A. Goncharov, V. Gorshkov, S. Gubarev, I. Litovko, and I. Brown, in Proceedings of the XXth International Symposium on Discharges and Electrical Insulation in Vacuum (ISDEIV), Tours (France) (IEEE, 2002), p. 287.
38. A. Goncharov, S. Gubarev, V. Maslov, and I. Onishchenko, Prob. At. Sci. Technol. 3, 152 (2001).
44. I. D. Kaganovich, R. C. Davidson, M. A. Dorf, E. A. Startsev, A. B. Sefkow, E. P. Lee, and A. Friedman, Phys. Plasma 17, 056703 (2010).
47. A. A. Goncharov, A. N. Dobrovolsky, S. N. Dunets, I. V. Litovko, V. I. Gushenets, and E. M. Oks, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 83, 02B723 (2012).
Article metrics loading...
The fundamental principles, experimental results, and potential applications of the electrostatic plasma lens for focusing and manipulating high-current, energetic, heavy ion beams are reviewed. First described almost 50 years ago, this optical beam device provides space charge neutralization of the ion beam within the lens volume, and thus provides an effective and unique tool for focusing high current beams where a high degree of neutralization is essential to prevent beam blow-up. Short and long lenses have been explored, and a lens in which the magnetic field is provided by rare-earth permanent magnets has been demonstrated. Applications include the use of this kind of optical tool for laboratory ion beam manipulation, high dose ion implantation, heavy ion accelerator injection, in heavy ion fusion, and other high technology.
Full text loading...
Most read this month