No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Development of a novel shape memory alloy-actuated resettable locking device for magnetic bearing reaction wheel
2. B. Gerlach, M. Ehinger, H. K. Raue, and R. Seiler, in Proceedings of 6th International ESA Conference on Guidance, Navigation and Control Systems (ESA, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 2005), pp. 15–18.
3. M. Scharfe, T. Roschke, E. Bindl, and D. Blonski, in Proceedings of 15th Annual/USU Conference on Small Satellites (USU, Logan, UT, 2001), pp. 1–9.
5. M. Scharfe, T. Roschke, E. Bindl, D. Blonski, and R. Seiler, in Proceedings of 9th European Space Mechanisms and Tribology Symposium, 19–21 September 2001 (ESA, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 2001), pp. 17–24.
6. J.-L. Livet and M. Bretaudeau, US patent US4345485 A (1982).
7. M. Privat and A. Costa, in Proceedings of 10th European Space Mechanisms and Tribology Symposium, San Sebastian, Spain (ESA, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 2001), pp. 121–128.
8. H. V. De Guelis and J.-L. Joly, US patent US4872357 A (1989).
9. J. F. Beau and M. Gauthier, US patent US4566740 (1986).
10. H. T. S. Yoshiharu, JPS patent JPS619399 (A) (1986).
11. X.-N. Li, S.-Q. Zhou, and Z.-Y. Yao, Proceedings of 2012 Symposium on Piezoelectricity, Acoustic Waves and Device Applications, SPAWDA 2012, 23–25 November 2012 (IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, 2012), pp. 57–60.
14. A. Peffer, K. Denoyer, E. Fosness, and D. Sciulli, IEEE Proceedings of Aerospace Conference, 2000 (IEEE, New York, 2000), pp. 277–284.
16. M. Lucy, R. Hardy, E. Kist, J. Watson, and S. Wise, DTIC Document No. NASA-TM-110470, 1996.
19. S. Chikkamaranahalli, R. R. Vallance, A. Khan, E. R. Marsh, O. A. Rawashdeh, J. Lumpp, and B. L. Walcott, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 76, 065105 (2005).
22. T. E. Dye, M.S. thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1990.
Article metrics loading...
The current investigation proposes a shape memory alloy (SMA)-actuated resettable locking device for magnetic bearing reaction wheel. The device employed two SMA wire-based actuators to realize locking and unlocking. Dual-slope mating surfaces were used on one hand to transmit the motion between a moving part and a clamp, and on the other hand to achieve a self-locking linkage in the locking state. Moreover, geometric parameters of the two SMA wires and corresponding bias springs were also designed. Based on the proposed design scheme, four locking devices were manufactured and assembled. Performance and environmental tests were performed to verify the proposed locking device. Test results show that the locking device can protect the magnetic bearing reaction wheel from launch vibration damage, and can withstand the thermal environment in the launch and on-orbit stage. Moreover, the device can be successfully operated for 76 times, and the response time for the locking and unlocking processes under 7 V power supply is 0.9 s and 5.6 s, respectively. Considering the results obtained from these tests, we conclude that the proposed resettable locking device is an attractive alternative technology to conventional motor-driven or pyrotechnics-based technologies, and can be applied reliably in the magnetic bearing reaction wheel.
Full text loading...
Most read this month