No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Effect of bubble shell nonlinearity on ultrasound nonlinear propagation through microbubble populations
1. de Jong, N. , Emmer, M. , Chin, C. T. , Bouakaz, A. , Mastik, F. , Lohse, D. , and Versluis, M. (2007). “ ‘Compression-only’ behavior of phospholipid-coated contrast bubbles,” Ultrasound Med. Biol. 33(4), 653–656.
2. Frinking, P. , Gaud, E. , and Arditi, M. (2010). “Compression-only behaviour and subharmonic scattering of phospholipid-shell microbubbles,” in Proceedings of the 14th European Symposium on Ultrasound Contrast Imaging, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 80–87.
3. Gorce, J.-M. , Arditi, M. , and Schneider, M. (2000). “Influence of bubble size distribution on the echogenicity of ultrasound contrast agents—A Study of SonoVueTM,” Invest. Radiol. 35(11), 661–671.
4. Grootens, J. , Mischi, M. , Böhmer, M. , Korsten, H. H. M. , and Aarts, R. M. (2009). “Modeling of ultrasound propagation through contrast agents,” in IFMBE Proceedings 2009, Vol. 22 (Springer, Berlin), pp. 440–443.
5. Hamilton, M. F. , and Blackstock, D. T. (1998). Nonlinear Acoustics, Theory and Applications (Academic Press, New York), pp. 167–175.
6. Hibbs, K. , Mari, J. M. , Stride, E. , Eckersley, R. J. , Noble, A. , and Tang, M. X. (2007). “Nonlinear propagation of ultrasound through microbubble clouds: A novel numerical implementation,” in 2007 IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium Proceedings, V1-6 Book Series: Ultrasonics Symposium, pp. 1997–2000.
7. Leighton, T. G. , Meers, S. D. , and White, P. R. (2004). “Propagation through nonlinear time-dependent bubble clouds and the estimation of bubble populations from measured acoustic characteristics,” Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. A 460(2049), 2521–2550.
8. Marmottant, P. , van der Meer, S. , Emmer, M. , Versluis, M. , de Jong, N. , Hilgenfeldt, S. , and Lohse, D. (2005). “A model for large amplitude oscillations of coated bubbles accounting for buckling and rupture,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 118(6), 3499–3505.
9. Stride, E. (2005). “Characterisation and design of microbubble-based contrast agents suitable for diagnostic imaging,” in Contrast Media in Ultrasonography: Basic Principles and Clinical Applications, edited by E. Quaia (Springer-Verlag, Berlin), Chap. 3, pp. 31–42.
11. Stride, E. , and Saffari, N. (2005). “Investigating the significance of multiple scattering in ultrasound contrast agent particle populations,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 52(12), 2332–2345.
13. Tang, M. X. , and Eckersley, R. J. (2006). “Nonlinear propagation of ultrasound through microbubble contrast agents and implications for imaging,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 53, 2406–2415.
15. Yu, H. , Jang, H. J. , Kim, T. K. , Khalili, K. , Williams, R. , Lueck, G. , Hudson, J. , and Burns, P. N. (2010). “Pseudoenhancement within the local ablation zone of hepatic tumors due to a nonlinear artefact on contrast-enhanced ultrasound,” Am. J. Roentgenol. 194(3), 653–659.
Article metrics loading...
Nonlinear propagation of ultrasound through microbubble populations can generate artifacts and reduce contrast to tissue ratio in ultrasound imaging. The existing propagation model, which underestimates harmonic generation by an order of magnitude, was revised by incorporating a nonlinear constitutive equation for the coating into the description of the microbubble dynamics. Significantly better agreement with experiments was obtained, indicating that coating nonlinearity represents an important contribution to nonlinear propagation of ultrasound in microbubble populations. The results were found to be sensitive to the parameters characterizing the coating nonlinearity and thus accurate measurement of these parameters is required for accurate quantitative predictions.
Full text loading...
Most read this month