No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
A field study of effects of road traffic and railway noise on polysomnographic sleep parameters
1. Aasvang, G. M. , Moum, T. , and Engdahl, B. (2008). “Self-reported sleep disturbances due to railway noise: exposure-response relationships for nighttime equivalent and maximum noise level,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124(1), 257–68.
2. American Sleep Disorder Association (ASDA). EEG arousals: Scoring Rules and Examples. Sleep 15(2):173–84, 1992.
4. Basner, M. and Samel, A. (2005). Aircraft noise effects on sleep - Results of 2240 polysomnographically recorded subject nights in laboratory and field studies. In: Sleep Medicine 6 (Suppl. 2), S. 12–13, 1st Congress of the World Association of Sleep Medicine (WASM), Berlin, 2005–1015–200510–18.
5. Basner, M. F. , Samel, A. F. , and Isermann, U. (2006). “Aircraft noise effects on sleep: application of the results of a large polysomnographic field study,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 119, 2772–84.
6. Basner, M. , Glatz, C. , Griefahn, B. , Penzel, T. , and Samel, A. (2008). “Aircraft noise: effects on macro- and microstructure of sleep,” Sleep Med. Rev. 9, 382–7.
7. Carrier, J. , Frenette, S. , Montplaisir, J. , Paquet, J. , Drapeau, C. , and Morettini, J. (2005). “Effects of periodic leg movements during sleep in middle-aged subjects without sleep complaints,” Mov Disord. 20, 1127–32.
8. Carskadon, M. A. and Dement, W .C. (1994). “Normal human sleep: An overview,” in M.H. Kryger, T. Roth, and W.C. Dement, eds., Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, (Saunders, Philadelphia), pp. 16–25.
9. Dinges, D. F. , Pack, F. , Williams, K. , Gillen, K. A. , Powell, J. W. , Ott, G. E. , Aptowicz, C. , and Pack, A. I. (1997). “Cumulative sleepiness, mood disturbance, and psychomotor vigilance performance decrements during a week of sleep restricted to 4−5 hours per night,” Sleep 20(4), 267–77.
10. Drewes, A. M. , Dremstrup Nielsen, K. , Jørgensen Taagholt, S. , Svendsen, L. , Bjerregård, K. , Nielsson, L. , and Kristensen, L. (1996). “Ambulatory Polysomnography Using a New Programmable Amplifier System With On-line digitization of data: Technical and clinical findings,” Sleep 19(4): 347–354.
13. Ehrenstein, W. and Müller-Limmroth, W. (1980). “Laboratory investigations in to effects of noise on human sleep,” American Speech and Hearing Association 10, 433–41.
14.European Commission (2002). European Parliament and Council Directive 2002/49 EC of 25. June 2002.
16. Fidell, S. , Pearsons, K. , Tabachnick, B. , Howe, R. , Silvati, L. , and Barber, D. S. (1995). Field study of noise-induced sleep disturbance. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 98, 1025–33.
18. Graham, J. M. A. , Janssen, S. A. , Vos, H. , and Miedema, H. M. (2009). “Habitual traffic noise at home reduces cardiac parasympathetic tone during sleep,” Int. J. Psychophysiol. 72, 179–86.
19. Griefahn, B. , Schuemer-Kohrs, A. , Schuemer, R. , Moehler, U. , and Mehnert, P. (2000). “Physiological, subjective, and behavioural responses during sleep to noise from rail and road traffic,” Noise Health. 3, 59–71.
22. Hofman, W. , Kumar, A. , and Eberhardt, J. (1993). “Comparative evaluation of sleep disturbance due to noises from airplanes, trains and trucks,” In: Vallet, M (ed.): Noise & Man ‘93. Noise as a Public Health Problem, 6th Int. Congr. 2, 559–562.
23. Horne, J. A. , Pankhurst, F. L. , Reyner, L. A. , Hume, K. , and Diamond, I. D. (1994). “A field study of sleep disturbance: effects of aircraft noise and other factors on 5,742 nights of actimetrically monitored sleep in a large subject sample,” Sleep 17, 146–59.
24. Irwin, M. , McClintick, J. , Costlow, C. , Fortner, M. , White, J. , and Gillin, J. C. (1996). “Partial night sleep deprivation reduces natural killer and cellular immune responses in humans,” FASEB J. 10, 643–53.
25. Iber, C. , Redline, S. , Kaplan Gilpin, A. M. , Quan, S. F. , Zhang, L. , Gottlieb, D. J. , Rapoport, D. , Resnick, H. E. , Sanders, M. , and Smith, P. (2004). “Polysomnography performed in the unattended home versus the attended laboratory setting – Sleep Hearth Health Study methodology,” Sleep 27(3), 536–40.
26. Jurriens, A. A. , Griefahn, B. , Kumar, A. , Vallet, M. , and Wilkinson, R. T. (1983). “An essay in European research collaboration: common results from the project on traffic noise and sleep in the home,” In: Proceedings of the 4th International Congress on Noise as a Public Health Problem, Torino: 1983, 929–937.
27. Kawada, T. and Suzuki, S. (1999). “Change in rapid eye movement (REM) sleep in response to exposure to all-night noise and transient noise,” Arch. Environ. Health 54, 336–40.
29. Marks, A. , Griefahn, B. , and Basner, M. (2008). “Event-related awakenings caused by nocturnal transportation noise,” Noise Control Eng. J. 56, 52–62.
30. Meadows, R. , Stanley, N. , Venn, S. , Hislop, J. , and Arber, S. (2005). “Completely unattended home sleep recordings,” Sleep 28(4), 526.
31. Miedema, H. M. , and Vos, H. (2007). “Associations between self-reported sleep disturbance and environmental noise based on reanalyses of pooled data from 24 studies,” Behav. Sleep Med. 5, 1–20.
34. Pavlova, M. K. , Duffy, J. F. , and Shea, S.A. (2008). “Polysomnographic respiratory abnormalities in asymptomatic individuals,” Sleep 31, 241–8.
35. Pearsons, K. S. , Barber, D. S. , Tabachnick, B. , and Fidell, S. (1995). “Predicting noise-induced sleep disturbance,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 971, 331–8.
36. Rechtschaffen, A. , Kales, A. , eds. (1968). A Manual of Standardized Terminology, Techniques, and Scoring System for Sleep Stages of Human Subjects. US Department of Health, Education, and Welfare Public Health Service—NIH/NIND.
38. Saremi, M. , Grenèche, J. , Bonnefond, A. , Rohmer, O. , Eschenlauer, A. , and Tassi, P. (2008). “Effects of nocturnal railway noise on sleep fragmentation in young and middle-aged subjects as a function of type of train and sound level,” Int. J. Psychophysiol. 70, 184–91.
40. Vallet, M. , Gagneux, J -M. , Blanchet, V. , Favre, B. , and Labiale, G. (1983). “Long term sleep disturbance due to traffic noise” J. Sound Vib. 90, 173–91.
41. Van, F. , Hume, K. I. , and Watson, A. (1993). “EEG responses to aircraft noise in ‘non-sensitive’ and ‘less sensitive’subjects,” in Vallet, M. , ed., Noise & Man ‘93. Noise as a Public Health Problem, 6th Int. Congr. 2, 569–72.
44. Williams, H. L. , Hammack, J. T. , Daly, R. L. , Dement, W. C. , and Lubin, A. (1964). “Responses to auditory stimulation, sleep loss and the EEG stages of sleep,” Electroencephalogr. Clin. Neurophysiol. 16, 269–79.
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Most read this month