No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
A re-evaluation of auditory filter shape in delphinid odontocetes: Evidence of constant-bandwidth filters
1. Amundin, M. (1991). “Click repetition rate patterns in communicative sounds from the harbour porpoise, Phocoena phocoena,” in Sound Production in Odontocetes with Emphasis on the Harbour porpoise, Phocoena phocoena (Swede AB, Stockholm), pp. 128.
3. Au, W. W. L. (1993). The Sonar of Dolphins (Springer, New York), pp. 77–94.
4. Au, W. W. L. , Floyd, R. W. , Penner, R. H. , and Murchison, A. E. (1974). “Measurement of echolocation signals of the Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops truncatus (Montagu), in open waters,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 56, 1280–1290.
5. Au, W. W. , and Moore, P. W. B. (1990). “Critical ratio and critical bandwidth for the Atlantic Bottle-Nosed Dolphin,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 83, 1635–1638.
6. Au, W. W. L. , Moore, P. W. B. , and Pawloski, D. A. (1988). “Detection of complex echoes in noise by an echolocating dolphin,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 83, 662–668.
7. Au, W. L. , and Pawloski, D. A. (1990). “Cylinder wall thickness difference discrimination by an echolocating dolphin,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 88, S4–S5.
8. Au, W. W. L. , Pawloski, J. L. , and Nachtigall, P. E. (1995). “Echolocation signals and transmission beam pattern of a false killer whale (Pseudorca crassidens),” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 98, 51–59.
9. Au, W. W. L. , Penner, R. H. , and Turl, C. W. (1987). “Propagation of beluga echolocation signals,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 82, 807–813.
10. Cody, A. R. , and Russel, I. J. (1987). “The response of hair cells in the basil turn of the guinea-pig cohclea to tones,” J. Physiol. 383, 551–569.
11. Diercks, K. J. , Trochta, R. T. , Greenlaw, C. F. , Evans, W. E. (1971). “Recording and analysis of dolphin echolocation signals,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 49, 1729–1732.
12. Dooling, R. J. , and Saunders, J. C. (1975). “Hearing in the parakeet (Melopsittacus undulatus): Absolute thresholds, critical ratios, frequency difference limens, and vocalizations,” J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 88, 1–20.
14. Gellermann, L. W. (1933). “Chance orders of alternating stimuli in visual discrimination experiments,” J. Genet. Psychol. 42, 206–208.
15. Hansen, M. , Wahlberg, M. , and Madsen, P. T. (2008). “Low-frequency components in harbor porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) clicks: Communication signal, by-products, or artifacts?” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 4059–4068.
16. Herman, L. M. , and Tavolga, W. N. (1980). “The communication systems of cetaceans,” in Cetacean Behaviour, edited by L. M. Herman (Wiley Interscience, New York), pp. 149–209.
17. Ibsen, S. D. , Au, W. W. L. , Nachtigall, P. E. , and Breese, M. (2009). “Functional bandwidth of an echolocating Atlantic bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus),” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 125, 1214–1221.
19. Johnson, C. S. , McManus, M. W. , and Skaar, D. (1989). “Masked tonal hearing thresholds in the beluga whale,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 85(6), 2651–2654.
20. Kamminga, C. , and Wiersma, H. (1981). “Investigations on cetacean sonar II. Acoustical similarities and differences in odontocete sonar signals,” Aquat. Mamm. 8, 41–61.
21. Kastelein, R. A. , Bunskoek, P. , Hagedoorn, M. , Au, W. W. L. , and de Haan, D. (2002). “Audiogram of a harbor porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) measured with narrow-band frequency-modulated signals,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 112, 334–344.
22. Kastelein, R. A. , Wensveen, P. J. , Hoek, L. , Au, W. W. L. , Terhune, J. M. , and de Jong, C. A. F. (2009). “Critical ratios in harbor porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) for tonal signals between 0.315 and 150 kHz in random Gaussian white noise,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 126, 1588–1597.
23. Ketten, D. , and Wartzok, D. (1990). “Three-dimensional reconstructions of the dolphin ear,” in Sensory Abilities of Cetaceans, edited by J. Thomas and R. Kastelein (Plenum Press, New York), pp. 81–105.
24. Kiang, N. Y. , Watanabe, T. , Thomas, E. C. , and Clark, L. F. (1962). “Stimulus coding in the cat’s auditory nerve,” Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 71, 1009–1026.
25. Lammers, M. O. , Au, W. W. L. , and Herzing, D. L. (2003). “The broadband social acoustic signaling behavior of spinner and spotted dolphins,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 114, 1629–1639.
28. Mohl, B. , and Andersen, S. (1973). “Echolocation-high-frequency component in click of a harbor porpoise (Phocoena-Ph. L.),” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 54, 1368–1372.
29. Moore, P. W. B. , Hall, R. W. , Friedl, W. A. , and Nachtigall, P. E. (1984). “The critical interval in dolphin echolocation: What is it?,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 76, 314–317.
30. Moore, P. W. B. , Pawloski, D. A. , and Dankiewicz, L. (1995). “Interaural time and intensity difference thresholds in the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus),” in Sensory Systems of Aquatic Mammals, edited by R. A. Kastelein, J. A. Thomas, and P. E. Nachtigall (DeSpil, Woerden, Netherlands), pp. 11–23.
31. Moss, C. F. , and Simmons, A. M. (1986). “Frequency selectivity of hearing in the green treefrog, Hyla cinerea ,” J. Comp. Physiol. A. 159, 257–266.
32. Nachtigall, P. E. (1980). “Odontocete echolocation performance on object size, shape and material,” in Animal Sonar Systems, edited by R. G. Busnel and J. F. Fish (Plenum Press, New York), pp. 71–95.
33. Nachtigall, P. E. , Au, W. W. L. , Pawloski, J. , and Moore, P. W. B. (1995). “Risso’s dolphin (Grampus griseus) hearing thresholds in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii,” in Sensory Systems of Aquatic Mammals, edited by R. Kastelein, J. Thomas, and P. Nachtigall (DeSpil, Woerden, Netherlands), pp. 49–53.
34. Nachtigall, P. E. , Mooney, T. A. , Taylor, K. A. , Miller, L. A. , Rasmussen, M. H. , Akamatsu, T. , Teilmann, J. , Linnenschmidt, M. , and Vikingsson, G. A. (2008). “Shipboard measurements of the hearing of white-beaked dolphin Lagenorhynchus albirostris ,” J. Exp. Bio. 211, 642–647.
35. Palmer, A. R. , and Russel, I. J. (1986). “Phase-locking on the cochlear nerve of the guinea-pig and its relation to the receptor potential of inner hair-cells,” Hear. Res. 24, 1–15.
36. Patterson, R. D. , and Moore, B. C. J. (1986). “Auditory filters and excitation patters and representations of frequency resolution,” in Frequency Selectivity in Hearing, edited by B. C. J. Moore (Academic, London), pp. 123–177.
37. Popov, V. V. , Supin, A. Y. , Wang, D. , and Wang, K. (2006). “Nonconstant quality of auditory filters in the porpoises, Phocoena phocoena and Neophocaena phocaenoides ,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 119, 3173–3180.
38. Robinson, D. , and Watson, C. (1973). “Phychophysical methods in modern phychoacoustics,” in Foundations of Moderm Auditory Theory, edited by J. V. Tobias (Academic Press, New York), pp. 99–131.
39. Schusterman, R. (1980). “Behavioral methodology in echolocation by marine mammals” in Animal Sonar Systems, edited by R. Busnel and J. Fish (Plenum Press, New York), pp. 11–41.
40. Shailer, M. J. , Moore, B. C. J. , Glasberg, B. R. , Watson, N. , and Harris, S. (1990). “Auditory filter shapes at 8 and 10 kHz,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 88, 141–148.
41. Thomas, J. J. , Pawloski, J. , and Au, W. W. L. (1990). “Masked hearing abilities in a false killer whale (Pseudorca crassidens),” in Sensory Abilities of Cetaceans, edited by J. Thomas and R. A. Kastelein (Plenum, New York), pp. 395–404.
42. Thomas, J. A. , and Turl, C.W. (1990). “Echolocation characteristics and range detection by a false killer whale (Pseudorca crassidens),” in Sensory Abilities of Cetaceans, edited by J. Thomas and R. A. Kastelein (Plenum, New York), pp. 321–334.
43. Viemeister, N. F. , and Plack, C. J. (1993). “Time Analysis,” in Human Psychophysics, edited by W. A. Yost, A. N. Popper, and R. R. Fay (Springer-Verlag, New York), pp. 116–154.
44. Wang, D. , Wursig, B. , and Evans, W. (1995). “Comparisons of whistles among seven odontocetes species,” in Sensory Systems of Aquatic Mammals, edited by R. A. Kastelein, J. A. Thomas, and P. E. Nachtigall (DeSpil, Woerden, Netherlands), pp. 299–323.
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Most read this month