No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Seasonal presence of cetaceans and ambient noise levels in polar waters of the North Atlantic
1. Andrew, R. , Howe, B. M. , Mercer, J. A. , and Dzieciuch, M. A. (2002). “ Ocean ambient sound: Comparing the 1960s with the 1990s for a receiver off the California coast,” Acoust. Res. Lett. Online 3, 65–68.
2. Diachok, O. I. , and Winokur, R. S. (1974). “ Spatial variability of underwater ambient noise at Arctic ice-water boundary,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 55, 750–753.
3. Guerra, M. , Thode, A. M. , Blackwell, S. B. , and Macrander, A. M. (2011). “ Quantifying seismic survey reverberations off the Alaskan North Slope,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130, 3046–3058.
4.International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). (2011). “ The IUCN red list of threatened species,” Version 2011.2, http://www.iucnredlist.org.
5. McDonald, M. A. , Hildebrand, J. A. , and Wiggins, S. M. (2006). “ Increases in deep ocean ambient noise in the Northeast Pacific West of San Nicolas Island, California,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 120, 711–718.
6. McDonald, M. A. , Hildebrand, J. A. , Wiggins, S. M. , and Ross, D. (2008). “ A 50 year comparison of ambient ocean noise near San Clemente Island: A bathymetrically complex coastal region off Southern California,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 1985–1992.
7. McGrath, J. R. (1976). “ Depth and seasonal dependence of ambient sea noise near the marginal ice zone of the Greenland Sea,” Report No. 7819, Naval Research Laboratory.
8. Moore, S. E. , and Huntington, H. P. (2008). “ Arctic marine mammals and climate change: Impacts and resilience,” Ecol. Appl. 18, s157–s165.
9. Moore, S. E. , Stafford, K. M. , Melling, H. , Berchok, C. , Wiig, Ø. , Kovacs, K. M. , Lydersen, C. , and Richter-Menge, J. (2012). “ Comparing marine mammal acoustic habitats in Atlantic and Pacific sectors of the High Arctic: Year-long records from Fram Strait and the Chukchi Plateau,” Polar Biol. 35, 475–480.
10. Nieukirk, S. L. , Mellinger, D. K. , Moore, S. E. , Klinck, K. , Dziak, R. P. , and Goslin, J. (2012). “ Sounds from airguns and fin whales recorded in the mid-Atlantic Ocean, 1999–2009,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 131, 1102–1112.
11. Øien, N. (2009). “ Distribution and abundance of large whales in Norwegian and adjacent waters based on ship surveys 1995–2001,” North Atlantic Marine Mammal Commission (NAMMCO) Science Publication No. 7, pp. 31–47.
12. Pike, D. G. , Víkingsson, G. A. , Gunnlaugsson, T. , and Øien, N. (2009). “ A note on the distribution and abundance of blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus) in the Central and Northeast North Atlantic,” North Atlantic Marine Mammal Commission (NAMMCO) Science Publication No. 7, pp. 19–29.
13. Rolland, R. M. , Parks, S. E. , Hunt, K. E. , Castellote, M. , Corkeron, P. J. , Nowacek, D. P. , Wasser, S. K. , and Kraus, S. D. (2012). “ Evidence that ship noise increases stress in right whales,” Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. B 279, 2363–2368.
14. Serreze, M. C. , and Barry, R. G. (2011). “ Processes and impacts of Arctic amplification: A research synthesis,” Global Planet Change 77, 85–96.
15. Wang, M. Y. , and Overland, J. E. (2009). “ A sea ice free summer Arctic within 30 years?,” Geophys. Res. Lett. 36, L07502.
Article metrics loading...
In 2009 two calibrated acoustic recorders were deployed in polar waters of the North Atlantic to study the seasonal occurrence of blue, fin, and sperm whales and to assess current ambient noise levels. Sounds from these cetaceans were recorded at both locations in most months of the year. During the summer months, seismic airguns associated with oil and gas exploration were audible for weeks at a time and dominated low frequency noise levels. Noise levels might further increase in the future as the receding sea ice enables extended human use of the area.
Full text loading...
Most read this month