No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
A vessel noise budget for Admiralty Inlet, Puget Sound, Washington (USA)
1. Ainslie, M. , and McColm, J. (1998). “ A simplified formula for viscous and chemical absorption in sea water,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 103, 1671–1672.
2.Applied Physics Laboratory (1994). “ High-frequency ocean environmental acoustic models handbook,” Technical Report TR 9407, Applied Physics Laboratory at the University of Washington.
3. Arveson, P. T. , and Vendittis, D. J. (2000). “ Radiated noise characteristics of a modern cargo ship,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 107, 118–129.
5. Clark, C. , Ellison, W. , Southall, B. , Hatch, L. , Van Parijs, S. , Frankel, A. , and Ponirakis, D. (2009). “ Acoustic masking in marine ecosystems: Intuitions, analysis, and implications,” Mar. Ecol.: Prog. Ser. 395, 201–222.
6. Collins, M. D. (2000). “User's guide for RAM versions 1.0 and 1.0p,” Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC.
8. Ellison, W. , Southall, B. , Clark, C. , and Frankel, A. (2011). “ A new context-based approach to assessing mammal behavioral responses to anthropogenic sounds,” Conserv. Biol. 26, 1–8.
10.Federal Register (2003). “Automatic identification system; vessel carriage requirements,” Coast Guard, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, pp. 60559–60570.
13. Frisk, G. V. (2012). “ Noiseonomics: The relationship between ambient noise levels in the sea and global economic trends,” Sci. Rep. 107, 1–4.
14. Gray, L. , and Greeley, D. (1980). “ Source level model for propeller blade rate radiation for the world's merchant fleet,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 67, 516–522.
15. Greene, C. R. , Jr., and Moore, S. (1995). “ Man-made noise,” in Marine Mammals and Noise, edited by J. W. Richardson, C. R. Greene, Jr., C. I. Malme, and D. H. Thompson (Academic, San Diego), pp. 101–158.
16. Harati-Mokhtari, A. , Wall, A. , Brooks, P. , and Wang, J. (2007). “ Automatic identification system (AIS): Data reliability and human error implications,” J. Navig. 60, 373–389.
17. Hatch, L. , Clark, C. , Merrick, R. , Van Parijs, S. , Ponirakis, D. , Schwehr, K. , Thompson, M. , and Wiley, D. (2008). “ Characterizing the relative contributions of large vessels to total ocean noise fields: A case study using the Gerry E. Studds Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary,” Environ. Manage. (N.Y.) 42, 735–752.
18. Hildebrand, J. (2004). “ Sources of anthropogenic sound in the marine environment,” Technical Report, Report to the Policy on Sound and Marine Mammals: An International Workshop, U.S. Marine Mammals Commission and Joint Conservation Committee U.K., London.
19. Hildebrand, J. (2005). “ Impacts of anthropogenic sound,” in Marine Mammal Research: Conservation Beyond Crisis, edited by J. E. Reynolds, W. F. Perin, R. R. Reeves, S. Montgomery, and T. J. Ragen (The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD), pp. 101–124.
21. Holt, M. , Noren, D. , Veirs, V. , Emmons, C. , and Veirs, S. (2009). “ Speaking up: Killer whales (Orcinus orca) increase their call amplitude in response to vessel noise,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 125, EL27–EL32.
22. Kipple, B. (2004a). “ Coral Princess underwater acoustic levels,” Technical Report (Naval SurfaceWarfare Center, Bremerton Detachment).
23. Kipple, B. (2004b). “ Volendam underwater acoustic levels,” Technical Report (Naval Surface Warfare Center, Bremerton Detachment).
24. Kipple, B. , and Gabriele, C. (2003). “ Glacier Bay watercraft noise: Report to Glacier Bay National Park by the Naval Surface Warfare Cent-Detachment Bremerton,” Technical Report No. NSWCCD-71-TR-2003/522.
25.Landau Associates (2011). “ Preliminary geologic characterization: Proposed tidal turbine site Island County, Washington,” Technical Report for Sound and Sea Technology and Snohomish County, P. U. D., September 6, 2011.
26. Lee, S. , Kim, S. , Lee, Y. , Yoon, J. , and Lee, P. (2011). “ Experiment on effect of screening hydrophone for reduction of flow-induced ambient noise in ocean,” Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50, 1–2.
27. McDonald, M. A. , Hildebrand, J. A. , and Wiggins, S. M. (2006). “ Increases in deep ocean ambient noise in the Northeast Pacific west of San Nicolas Island, California,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 120, 711–718.
28. McDonald, M. A. , Hildebrand, J. A. , Wiggins, S. M. , and Ross, D. (2008). “ A 50 year comparison of ambient ocean noise near San Clemente Island: A bathymetrically complex coastal region off Southern California,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 1985–1992.
29. McKenna, M. , Ross, D. , Wiggins, S. , and Hildebrand, J. (2012). “ Underwater radiated noise from modern commercial ships,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 131, 92–103.
30. National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) (2005). “ Endangered fish and wildlife; notice of intent to prepare an environmental impact statement,” Federal Register 70(7 ), 1871–1875 (Docket No. 05-525, 11 January 2005).
31. National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) (2006). “ Endangered and threatened species; designation of critical habitat for Southern Resident killer whales,” Federal Register 71(229), 69054–69070 (Docket No. 060228057-6283-02, 29 November 2006).
32.National Research Council of the U.S. National Academies (NRC) (2000). Marine Mammals and Low-Frequency Sound (National Academy Press, Washington, DC), pp. 7, 76.
33.National Research Council of the U.S. National Academies (NRC) (2003). Ocean Noise and Marine Mammals (National Academy Press, Washington, DC), pp. 6, 65–67, 89, 93, 128.
34.National Research Council of the U.S. National Academies (NRC) (2005). Marine Mammal Populations and Ocean Noise: Determining When Ocean Noise Causes Biologically Significant Effects (National Academy Press, Washington, DC), p. 14.
35. Orlanski, I. (1975). “ A rational subdivision of scales for atmospheric processes,” Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 56, 527–530.
36. Polagye, B. , and Thomson, J. (2010). “ Admiralty Inlet water quality survey report: April 2009–February 2010,” Technical Report, Northwest National Marine Renewable Energy Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
37. Rolland, R. M. , Parks, S. E. , Hunt, K. E. , Castellote, M. , Corkeron, P. J. , Nowacek, D. P. , Wasser, S. K. , and Kraus, S. D. (2012). “ Evidence that ship noise increases stress in right whales,” Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. B 279, 2363–2368.
38. Ross, D. (1976). Mechanics of Underwater Noise (Permagon, Elmsford, NY), pp. 272, 279–280.
40. Scrimger, P. , and Heitmeyer, R. (1991). “ Acoustic source-level measurements for a variety of merchant ships,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 89, 691–699.
41. Southall, B. (2005). “ Shipping noise and marine mammals: A forum for science, management, and technology,” Technical Report, Final Report of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) International Symposium, U.S. NOAA Fisheries, Arlington, VA, May 18–19, 2004.
42. Southall, B. , Bowles, A. , Ellison, W. , Finneran, J. , Gentry, R. , Greene, C. , Jr., Kastak, D. , Ketten, D. , Miller, J. , Nachtigall, P. , Richardson, W. , Thomas, J. , and Tyack, P. (2007). “ Marine mammal noise exposure criteria: Initial scientific recommendations,” Aquat. Mamm. 33, 411–521.
43. Thomson, J. , Polagye, B. , Durgesh, B. , and Richmond, M. C. (2012). “ Measurements of turbulence at two tidal energy sites in Puget Sound, WA,” IEEE J. Ocean. Eng. 37, 363–374.
46. Trevorrow, M. V. , Vasiliev, B. , and Vagle, S. (2008). “ Directionality and maneuvering effects on a surface ship underwater acoustic signature,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 107, 767–778.
47. Urick, R. (1967). Principles of Underwater Sound for Engineers (McGraw-Hill, New York), pp. 164–165.
48. Van Parijs, S. , Clark, C. , Sousa-Lima, R. , Parks, S. , Rankin, S. , Risch, D. , and Van Opzeeland, I. (2009). “ Management and research applications of real-time and archival passive acoustics sensors over varying temporal and spatial scales,” Mar. Ecol.: Prog. Ser. 395, 21–36.
49. Veirs, S. , and Veirs, V. (2005). “ Average levels and power spectra of ambient sound in the habitat of southern resident orcas,” NMFS Contract Report No. AB133F05SE6681.
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Most read this month