No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Calibrating passive acoustic monitoring: Correcting humpback whale call detections for site-specific and time-dependent environmental characteristics
1. T. Marques, L. Thomas, J. Ward, N. DiMarzio, and P. Tyack, “ Estimating cetacean population density using fixed passive acoustic sensors: An example with Blainville's beaked whales,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 125, 1982–1994 (2009).
2. T. Helble, G. D'Spain, J. Hildebrand, G. Campbell, R. Campbell, and K. Heaney, “ Site specific probability of passive acoustic detection of humpback whale calls from single fixed hydrophones,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 134, 2556–2570 (2013).
Digital Coast: NOAA Coastal Services Center, “ 2009–2010 commercial vessel density (October - AIS)
,” 2013, available at URL http://www.marinecadastre.gov/
(Last viewed 7/11/2013
6. M. McKenna, S. Katz, S. Wiggins, D. Ross, and J. Hildebrand, “ A quieting ocean: Unintended consequence of a fluctuating economy,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 132, EL169–EL175 (2012).
7. M. McKenna, M. Soldevilla, E. Oleson, S. Wiggins, and J. Hildebrand, “ Increased underwater noise levels in the Santa Barbara Channel from commercial ship traffic and its potential impact on Blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus),” in Proceedings of the Seventh California Islands Symposium, edited by C. C. Damiani and D. K. Garcelon (Institute for Wildlife Studies, Arcata, CA, 2009), pp. 141–149.
9. T. Helble, G. Ierley, G. D'Spain, M. Roch, and J. Hildebrand, “ A generalized power-law detection algorithm for humpback whale vocalizations,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 131, 2682–2699 (2012).
10. R. Andrew, B. Howe, J. Mercer, and M. Dzieciuch, “ Ocean ambient sound: Comparing the 1960s with the 1990s for a receiver off the California coast,” ARLO 3, 65–70 (2002).
11. D. Ross, “ On ocean underwater ambient noise,” Inst. Acoust. Bull. 18, 5–8 (1993).
12. R. Andrew, B. Howe, and J. Mercer, “ Long-time trends in ship traffic noise for four sites off the North American West Coast,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 129, 642–651 (2012).
15. K. Matveev, “ Effect of drag-reducing air lubrication on underwater noise radiation from ship hulls,” J. Vibr. Acoust. 127, 420–422 (2005).
16. P. Arveson and D. Vendittis, “ Radiated noise characteristics of a modern cargo ship,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 107, 118–129 (2000).
17. M. McKenna, D. Ross, S. Wiggins, and J. Hildebrand, “ Underwater radiated noise from modern commercial ships,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 131, 92–103 (2012).
18. V. Knudsen, R. Alford, and J. Emling, “ Underwater ambient noise,” J. Mar. Res. 7, 410–429 (1948).
20. National Research Council, Ocean Noise and Marine Mammals (National Academies, Washington, DC, 2003), pp. 83–132.
Article metrics loading...
This paper demonstrates the importance of accounting for environmental effects on passive underwater acoustic monitoring results. The situation considered is the reduction in shipping off the California coast between 2008–2010 due to the recession and environmental legislation. The resulting variations in ocean noise change the probability of detecting marine mammal vocalizations. An acoustic model was used to calculate the time-varying probability of detecting humpback whale vocalizations under best-guess environmental conditions and varying noise. The uncorrected call counts suggest a diel pattern and an increase in calling over a two-year period; the corrected call counts show minimal evidence of these features.
Full text loading...
Most read this month