No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The effect of depth on the target strength of a humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae
2. Benoit-Bird, K. J. , and Au, W. W. L. (2009). “ Cooperative prey hearding by the pelagic dolphin, Stenella longirostris,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 125, 125–137.
3. Benoit-Bird, K. J. , Würsig, B. , and McFadden, C. J. (2004). “ Dusky dolphin (Lagenorhynchus obscurus) foraging in two different habitats: Active acoustic detection of dolphins and their prey,” Marine Mammal Sci. 20, 215–231.
4. Bernasconi, M. (2012). “ Use of active sonar for cetaceans studies,” Ph.D. dissertation, University of St Andrews, Scotland, UK, 174 pp.
5. Bernasconi, M. , Nøttestad, L. , Axelsen, B. E. , and Krakstad, J. O. (2011). “ Acoustic observations of dusky dolphins Lagenorhyncus obscurus hunting Cape horse mackerel Trachurus capensis off Namibia,” Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 429, 209–218.
6. Bernasconi, M. , Patel, R. , and Nøttestad, L. (2012). “ Behavioral observations of baleen whales in proximity of a modern fishing vessel,” in Effects of Noise on Aquatic Life, edited by A. N. Popper and A. Hawkins (Springer Science + Business Media, LLC, New York), pp. 335–338.
7. Bernasconi, M. , Patel, R. , Nøttestad, L. , and Brierley, A. S. (2013). “ Fin whale (Balaenoptera physalus) target strength measurements,” Marine Mammal Sci. 29, 371–388.
8. Bernasconi, M. , Patel, R. , Nøttestad, L. , Knudsen, F. R. , and Brierley, A. S. (2009). “ Use of active sonar for cetacean conservation and behavioral-ecology studies: A paradox?,” Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, Loughborough, UK, Vol. 31, pp. 112–118.
10. Croll, D. A. , Acevedo-Gutiérrez, A. , Tershy, B. R. , and Urbán-Ramírez, J. (2001). “ The diving behavior of blue and fin whales: is dive duration shorter than expected based on oxygen stores?,” Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A 129, 797–809.
11. Fahlman, A. , Loring, S. H. , Ferrigno, M. , Moore, M. , Early, G. , Niemeyer, M. , Lentell, B. , Wenzel, F. , Joy, R. , and Moore, M. J. (2009). “ Static inflation and deflation pressure-volume curves from excised lungs of marine mammals,” J. Exp. Biol. 214, 3822–3828.
12. Fässler, S. M. M. , Fernandes, P. G. , Semple, S. I. K. , and Brierley, A. S. (2009). “ Depth-dependent swimbladder compression in herring Clupea harengus observed using magnetic resonance imaging,” J. Fish Biol. 74, 296–303.
13. Goldbogen, J. A. , Calambokidis, J. , Croll, D. A. , Harvey, J. T. , Newton, K. M. , Oleson, E. M. , Schorr, G. , and Shadwick, R. E. (2008). “ Foraging behavior of Humpback whales: kinematic and respiratory patterns suggest a high cost for lunge,” J. Exp. Biol. 211, 3712–3719.
15. Kooyman, G. L. , and Sinnett, E. E. (1982). “ Pulmonary shunts in harbour seals and sea lions during simulated dives to depth,” Physiol. Zool. 55, 105–111.
16. Levenson, C. (1974). “ Source level and bistatic target strength of the sperm whale (Physeter catodon) measured from an oceanographic aircraft,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 55, 1100–1103.
18. Lucifredi, I. , and Stein, P. J. (2007). “ Gray whale target strength measurements and the analysis of the backscattered response,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 121, 1383–1391.
19. Miller, J. H. , and Potter, D. C. (2001). “ Active high frequency phased-array sonar for whale shipstrike avoidance: target strength measurements,” OCEANS, 2001, MTS/IEEE Conference and Exhibition, Vol. 4, pp. 2104–2107.
20. Miller, P. J. O. , Johnson, M. P. , Madsen, P. T. , Biassoni, N. , Quero, M. , and Tyack, P. L. (2009). “ Using at-sea experiments to study the effects of airguns on the foraging behavior of sperm whales in the Gulf of Mexico,” Deep-Sea Res. I 56, 1168–1181.
21. Moore, M. , Hammar, T. , Arruda, J. , Cramer, S. , Dennison, S. , Montie, E. , and Fahlman, A. (2011). “ Hyperbaric computed tomography measurements of lung compression in seals and dolphins,” J. Exp. Biol. 214, 2390–2397.
32. Ogawa, T. , and Shida, T. (1950). “ On the sensory tubercles of lips and oral cavity in the sei and fin whale,” Sci. Rep. Whales Res. Inst. 3, 1–16.
25. Similä, T. (1997). “ Sonar observations of killer whales (Orcinus orca) feeding on herring schools,” Aquat. Mamm. 23, 119–126.
31. Stanton, T. K. (1989). “ Sound scattering by cylinder of finite length. III. Deformed cylinders,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 86, 691–705.
26. Tyack, P. L. , Johnson, M. P. , Aguilar de Soto, N. , Sturlese, A. , and Madsen, P. T. (2006). “ Extreme diving behavior of beaked whale species known to strand in conjunction with use of military sonars,” J. Exp. Biol. 209, 4238–4253.
27. Tyack, P. L. , Zimmer, W. M. , Moretti, D. , Southall, B. L. , Claridge, D. E. , Durban, J. W. , Clark, C. W. , D'Amico, A. , DiMarzio, N. , Jarvis, S. , McCarthy, E. , Morrissey, R. , Ward, J. , and Boyd, I. L. (2011). “ Beaked whales respond to simulated and actual navy sonar,” PLoS ONE 6(3 ), e17009.
28. Watwood, S. L. , Miller, P. J. , Johnson, M. , Madsen, P. T. and Tyack, P. L. (2006). “ Deep-diving foraging behaviour of sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus),” J. Anim. Ecol. 75, 814–825.
29. Zimmer, W. M. , Harwood, J. , Tyack, P. L. , Johnson, M. P. , and Madsen, P. T. (2008). “ Passive acoustic detection of deep-diving beaked whales,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 2823–2832.
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Most read this month