No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Phonetic processing of non-native speech in semantic vs non-semantic tasks
2. Best, C. T. , and Tyler, M. D. (2007). “ Nonnative and second-language speech perception: Commonalities and complementarities,” in Language Experience in Second Language Speech Learning: In Honor of James Emil Flege, edited by O -S. Bohn and M. J. Munro (John Benjamins, Amsterdam), pp. 13–34.
, and Weenink
). “ Praat: Doing phonetics by computer (version 5.3.15) [computer program]
(Last viewed 9/25/2013).
4. Costa, A. , Caramazza, A. , and Sebastián-Gallés, N. (2000). “ The cognate facilitation effect: Implications for models of lexical access,” J. Exp. Psychol. Learn. Mem. Cogn. 26, 1283–1296.
5. Engstler, C. (2012). “ Language retention and improvement after a study abroad experience,” Doctoral dissertation, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
6. Flege, J. E. (1987). “ The production of ‘new’ and ‘similar’ phones in a foreign language: Evidence for the effect of equivalence classification,” J. Phonetics 15, 47–65.
7. Flege, J. E. (1995). “ Second language speech learning: Theory, findings and problems,” in Speech Perception and Linguistic Experience: Issues in Cross-Language Research, edited by W. Strange (York, Timonium, MD), pp. 233–277.
8. Goldrick, M. , and Blumstein, S. E. (2006). “ Cascading activation from phonological planning to articulatory processes: Evidence from tongue twisters,” Lang. Cognit. Processes 21, 649–683.
10. Howell, P. , and Dworzynski, K. (2001). “ Strength of German accent under altered auditory feedback,” Percept. Psychophys. 63, 501–513.
11. Kello, C. T. , Plaut, D. C. , and MacWhinney, B. (2000). “ The task dependence of staged versus cascaded processing: An empirical and computational study of Stroop interference in speech perception,” J. Exp. Psychol. Gen. 129, 340–360.
12. Kuhl, P. K. , Conboy, B. T. , Coffey-Corina, S. , Padden, D. , Rivera-Gaxiola, M. , and Nelson, T. (2008). “ Phonetic learning as a pathway to language: New data and native language magnet theory expanded (NLM-e),” Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London, Ser. B 363, 979–1000.
13. MacKay, I. R. A. , and Flege, J. E. (2004). “ Effects of the age of second language learning on the duration of first and second language sentences: The role of suppression,” Appl. Psycholinguist. 25, 373–396.
14. Nozari, N. , Kittredge, A. K. , Dell, G. S. , and Schwartz, M. F. (2010). “ Naming and repetition in aphasia: Steps, routes, and frequency effects,” J. Mem. Lang. 63, 541–559.
15. Pierrehumbert, J. B. (2002). “ Word-specific phonetics,” in Laboratory Phonology VII, edited by C. Gussenhoven and N. Warner (Mouton de Gruyter, Berlin), pp. 101–139.
16. Rapp, B. , Folk, J. , and Tainturier, M.-J. (2001). “ Word reading,” in The Handbook of Cognitive Neuropsychology: What Deficits Reveal About the Human Mind, edited by B. Rapp (Psychology, Philadelphia), pp. 233–262.
17. Van Lancker Sidtis, D. , Cameron, K. , and Sidtis, J. J. (2012). “ Dramatic effects of speech task on motor and linguistic planning in severely dysfluent Parkinsonian speech,” Clin. Linguist. Phonetics 26, 695–711.
Article metrics loading...
Research with speakers with acquired production difficulties has suggested phonetic processing is more difficult in tasks that require semantic processing. The current research examined whether similar effects are found in bilingual phonetic processing. English–French bilinguals' productions in picture naming (which requires semantic processing) were compared to those elicited by repetition (which does not require semantic processing). Picture naming elicited slower, more accented speech than repetition. These results provide additional support for theories integrating cognitive and phonetic processes in speech production and suggest that bilingual speech research must take cognitive factors into account when assessing the structure of non-native sound systems.
Full text loading...
Most read this month