No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Learning to discriminate frequency modulation rate can benefit and worsen pitch acuity
1. Ahissar, M. , Nahum, M. , Nelken, I. , and Hochstein, S. (2009). “Reverse hierarchies and sensory learning,” Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London, Ser. B 364, 285–299.
2. Blake, D. T. , Strata, F. , Churchland, A. K. , and Merzenich, M. M. (2002). “Neural correlates of instrumental learning in primary auditory cortex,” Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 99, 10114–10119.
3. Fitzgerald, M. B. , and Wright, B. A. (2005). “A perceptual learning investigation of the pitch elicited by amplitude-modulated noise,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 118, 3794–3803.
4. Forster, K. I. , and Forster, J. C. (2003). “DMDX: A windows display program with millisecond accuracy,” Behav. Res. Methods Instrum. Comput. 35, 116–124.
5. Karmarkar, U. R. , and Buonomano, D. V. (2003). “Temporal specificity of perceptual learning in an auditory discrimination task,” Learn. Mem. 10, 141–147.
6. Liu, E. H. , Mercado, E. , III, Church, B. A. , and Orduña, I. (2008). “The easy-to-hard effect in human (Homo sapiens) and rat (Rattus norvegicus) auditory identification,” J. Comp. Psychol. 122, 132–145.
7. Mercado, E. , III, Myers, C. E. , and Gluck, M. A. (2001). “A computational model of mechanisms controlling experience-dependent reorganization of representational maps in auditory cortex,” Cogn. Affect. Behav. Neurosci. 1, 37–55.
8. Ortiz, J. A. , and Wright, B. A. (2010). “Differential rates of consolidation of conceptual and stimulus learning following training on an auditory skill,” Exp. Brain Res. 201, 441–451.
10. Sabin, A. T. , Eddins, D. A. , and Wright, B. A. (2012). “Perceptual learning evidence for tuning to spectrotemporal modulation in the human auditory system,” J. Neurosci. 32, 6542–6549.
13. Wright, B. A. , Sabin, A. T. , Zhang, Y. , Marrone, N. , and Fitzgerald, M. B. (2010). “Enhancing perceptual learning by combining practice with periods of additional sensory stimulation,” J. Neurosci. 30, 12868–12877.
Article metrics loading...
Participants were trained to discriminate frequency modulation rates (FM-rate training) or Gabor patch orientations (visual training) in a same–different task for two different training lengths. Test discriminations involved trains of FM sweeps with identical modulation rates, but different frequencies. FM-rate training enhanced test accuracy (relative to visual) when sweep trains contained frequencies similar to training. For extended FM-rate training, the opposite was true for trains shifted one octave higher. In contrast to previous work, generalization of learning to the untrained dimension (pitch) was not well accounted for by conceptual learning. Mechanisms of stimulus learning may better explain the current cross-dimensional generalization.
Full text loading...
Most read this month