No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Non-song vocalizations of pygmy blue whales in Geographe Bay, Western Australia
2. A. N. Gavrilov, R. D. McCauley, C. Salgado Kent, J. Tripovich, and C. Burton, “Vocal characteristics of pygmy blue whales and their change over time,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130(6), 3651–3660 (2011).
3. E. M. Oleson, J. Calambokidis, W. C. Burguess, M. A. McDonald, C. A. LeDuc, and J. A. Hildebrand, “Behavioral context of call production by eastern North Pacific blue whales,” Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 330, 269–284 (2007).
4. D. K. Mellinger and C. W. Clark, “Blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) sounds from the North Atlantic,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 114(2), 1108–1119 (2003).
5. M. A. McDonald, J. A. Hildebrand, and S. L. Mesnick, “Biogeographic characterization of blue whale song worldwide: Using song to identify populations,” J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 8, 55–65 (2006).
6. W. A. Watkins, P. Tyack, K. E. Moore, and J. E. Bird, “The 20 Hz signals of fin whales (Balaenoptera physalus),” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 82(6), 1901–1912 (1987).
7. C. W. Clark, “Acoustic behaviour of mysticete whales,” in Sensory Abilities of Cetaceans, edited by J. A. Thomas and R. A. Kastelein (Plenum Press, New York, 1990), pp. 571–583.
8. R. A. Dunlop, M. J. Noad, D. H. Cato, and D. Stokes, “The social vocalization repertoire of east Australian migrating humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae),” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 122(5), 2893–2905 (2007).
11. C. P. Salgado Kent
, A. N. Gavrilov
, A. Recalde-Salas
, C. L. K. Burton
, R. D. McCauley
, and S. Marley
, “Passive acoustic monitoring of baleen whales in Geographe Bay, Western Australia
,” in Acoustics 2012, Acoustics, Development and the Environment
, Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Australian Acoustical Society, Fremantle, Australia (November 21–23, 2012
(Last viewed 2/13/2014).
12. C. W. Clark, “Acoustic communication and behavior of the southern right whale (Eubalaena australis),” in Communication and Behavior of Whales, edited by R. Payne (Westview Press, Boulder, 1983), pp. 163–198.
13. B. Wursig, E. M. Dorsey, M. A. Fraker, R. S. Payne, and W. J. Richardson, “Behavior of bowhead whales, Balaena mysticetus summering in the Beaufort Sea: A description,” Fish. Bull. 83(3), 357–377 (1985).
Article metrics loading...
Non-song vocalizations of migrating pygmy blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus brevicauda) in Western Australia are described. Simultaneous land-based visual observations and underwater acoustic recordings detected 27 groups in Geographe Bay, WA over 2011 to 2012. Six different vocalizations were recorded that were not repeated in a pattern or in association with song, and thus were identified as non-song vocalizations. Five of these were not previously described for this population. Their acoustic characteristics and context are presented. Given that 56% of groups vocalized, 86% of which produced non-song vocalizations and 14% song units, the inclusion of non-song vocalizations in passive-acoustic monitoring is proposed.
Full text loading...
Most read this month