No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Sub-wavelength energy trapping of elastic waves in a metamaterial
1. Colombi, A. , Boschi, L. , Roux, P. , and Campillo, M. (2014). “ Green's function retrieval through cross-correlations in a two-dimensional complex reverberating medium,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 135(3), 1034–1043.
3. Ishikawa, A. , Zhang, S. , Genov, D. A. , Bartal, G. , and Zhang, X. (2009). “ Deep subwavelength terahertz waveguides using gap magnetic plasmon,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 043904.
5. Kaina, N. , Fink, M. , and Lerosey, G. (2013a). “ Composite media mixing Bragg and local resonances for highly attenuating and broad bandgaps,” Sci. Rep. 3, 3240.
6. Kaina, N. , Lemoult, F. , Fink, M. , and Lerosey, G. (2013b). “ Ultrasmall mode volume defect cavities in spatially ordered and disordered metamaterials,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 102(14), 144104.
7. Khelif, A. , Choujaa, A. , Benchabane, S. , Djafari-Rouhani, B. , and Laude, V. (2004). “ Guiding and bending of acoustic waves in highly confined phononic crystal waveguides,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 84(22), 4400–4402.
8. Khelif, A. , Djafari-Rouhani, B. , Vasseur, J. O. , and Deymier, P. A. (2003). “ Transmission and dispersion relations of perfect and defect-containing waveguide structures in phononic band gap materials,” Phys. Rev. 68, 024302.
11. Lemoult, F. , Nadege, K. , Mathias, F. , and Lerosey, G. (2012). “ Wave propagation control at the deep subwavelength scale in metamaterials,” Nat. Phys. 9(1), 55–60.
12. Lerosey, G. , de Rosny, J. , Tourin, A. , and Fink, M. (2007). “ Focusing beyond the diffraction limit with far-field time reversal,” Science 315(5815), 1120–1122.
13. Li, D. , Zigoneanu, L. , Popa, B.-I. , and Cummer, S. A. (2012). “ Design of an acoustic metamaterial lens using genetic algorithms,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 132(4), 2823–2833.
15. McCall, S. L. , Platzman, P. M. , Dalichaouch, R. , Smith, D. , and Schultz, S. (1991). “ Microwave propagation in two-dimensional dielectric lattices,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 2017–2020.
16. Mohammadi, S. , Eftekhar, A. A. , Hunt, W. D. , and Adibi, A. (2009). “ High-q micromechanical resonators in a two-dimensional phononic crystal slab,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 94(5), 051906.
17. Park, J. , Park, B. , Kim, D. , and Park, J. (2012). “ Determination of effective mass density and modulus for resonant metamaterials,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 132(4), 2793–2799.
19. Peter, D. , Komatitsch, D. , Luo, Y. , Martin, R. , Le Goff, N. , Casarotti, E. , Le Loher, P. , Magnoni, F. , Liu, Q. , Blitz, C. , Nissen-Meyer, T. , Basini, P. , and Tromp, J. (2011). “ Forward and adjoint simulations of seismic wave propagation on fully unstructured hexahedral meshes,” Geophys. J. Int. 186(2), 721–739.
20. Rupin, M. , Lemoult, F. , Lerosey, G. , and Roux, P. (2014). “ Experimental demonstration of ordered and disordered multi-resonant metamaterials for lamb waves,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 234301.
24. Smith, D. R. , Padilla, W. J. , Vier, D. C. , Nemat-Nasser, S. C. , and Schultz, S. (2000). “ Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 84, 4184–4187.
27. Yang, S. , Page, J. H. , Liu, Z. , Cowan, M. L. , Chan, C. T. , and Sheng, P. (2002). “ Ultrasound tunneling through 3D phononic crystals,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 104301.
Article metrics loading...
Deep sub-wavelength focusing has been demonstrated for locally resonant metamaterials using electromagnetic and acoustic waves. The elastic equivalents of such objects are made of sub-wavelength resonating beams fixed to a two-dimensional plate, as presented here. Independent of a random or regular arrangement of the resonators, the metamaterial shows large bandgaps that are independent of the incident wave direction. Numerical simulations demonstrate that the insertion of a defect in the layout, as a shorter resonator, creates strong amplification of the wave-field on the defect. This energy trapping, which is localized on a spatial scale that is much smaller than the wavelength in the two-dimensional plate, leads to a >1 factor in terms of the local density of energy.
Full text loading...
Most read this month