No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Mixing of collinear plane wave pulses in elastic solids with quadratic nonlinearity
3. P. A. Johnson, T. J. Shankland, R. J. O'Connell, and J. N. Albright, “ Nonlinear generation of elastic waves in crystalline rock,” J. Geophys. Res.: Solid Earth 92(B5), 3597–3602, doi:10.1029/JB092iB05p03597 (1987).
4. V. A. Korneev and A. Demcenko, “ Possible second-order nonlinear interactions of plane waves in an elastic solid,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 135(2), 591–598 (2014).
5. M. H. Liu, G. X. Tang, L. J. Jacobs, and J. Qu, “ Measuring acoustic nonlinearity parameter using collinear wave mixing,” J. Appl. Phys. 112(2) 024908 (2012).
8. A. Demcenko, R. Akkerman, P. B. Nagy, and R. Loendersloot, “ Non-collinear wave mixing for non-linear ultrasonic detection of physical ageing in pvc,” NDT & E Int. 49, 34–39 (2012).
9. A. J. Croxford, P. D. Wilcox, B. W. Drinkwater, and P. B. Nagy, “ The use of non-collinear mixing for nonlinear ultrasonic detection of plasticity and fatigue,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 126(5), EL117–EL122 (2009).
10. E. Escobar-Ruiz, A. Ruiz, W. Hassan, D. C. Wright, I. J. Collison, P. Cawley, and P. B. Nagy, “ Non-linear ultrasonic NDE of titanium diffusion bonds,” J. Nondestr. Eval. 33(2), 187–195 (2014).
11. A. Demcenko, V. Koissin, and V. A. Korneev, “ Noncollinear wave mixing for measurement of dynamic processes in polymers: Physical ageing in thermoplastics and epoxy cure,” Ultrasonics 54(2), 684–693 (2014).
12. G. X. Tang, L. J. Jacobs, and J. Qu, “ Scattering of time-harmonic elastic waves by an elastic inclusion with quadratic nonlinearity,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 131(4), 2570–2578 (2012).
14. C. Valle, M. Niethammer, J. Qu, and L. J. Jacobs, “ Crack characterization using guided circumferential waves,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 110(3), 1282–1290 (2001).
Article metrics loading...
This paper derives a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for generating resonant waves by two propagating time-harmonic plane waves. It is shown that in collinear mixing, a resonant wave can be generated either by a pair of longitudinal waves, in which case the resonant mixing wave is also a longitudinal wave, or by a pair of longitudinal and transverse waves, in which case the resonant wave is a transverse wave. In addition, the paper obtains closed-form analytical solutions to the resonant waves generated by two collinearly propagating sinusoidal pulses. The results show that amplitude of the resonant pulse is proportional to the mixing zone size, which is determined by the spatial lengths of the input pulses. Finally, numerical simulations based on the finite element method and experimental measurements using one-way mixing are conducted. It is shown that both numerical and experimental results agree well with the analytical solutions.
Full text loading...
Most read this month