No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Acoustic radiation torque on small objects in viscous fluids and connection with viscous dissipation
5. J. T. Wang and J. Dual, “ Theoretical and numerical calculations for the time-averaged acoustic force and torque acting on a rigid cylinder of arbitrary size in a low viscosity fluid,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 129, 3490–3501 (2011).
7. B. T. Hefner and P. L. Marston, “ An acoustical helicoidal wave transducer with applications for the alignment of ultrasonic and underwater systems,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 106, 3313–3316 (1999).
8. L. K. Zhang and P. L. Marston, “ Acoustic radiation torque and the conservation of angular momentum (L),” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 129, 1679–1680 (2011).
11. C. E. M. Demore, Z. Yang, A. Volovick, S. Cochran, M. P. MacDonald, and G. C. Spalding, “ Mechanical evidence of the orbital angular momentum to energy ratio of vortex beams,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 194301 (2012).
13. D. Baresch, J.-L. Thomas, and R. Marchiano, “ Spherical vortex beams of high radial degree for enhanced single-beam tweezers,” J. Appl. Phys. 113, 184901 (2013).
14. C. R. P. Courtney, B. W. Drinkwater, C. E. M. Demore, S. Cochran, A. Grinenko, and P. D. Wilcox, “ Dexterous manipulation of microparticles using Bessel-function acoustic pressure fields,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 102, 123508 (2013).
17. P. L. Marston, “ Viscous contributions to low-frequency scattering, power absorption, radiation force, and radiation torque for spheres in acoustic beams,” Proc. Meet. Acoust. 19, 045005 (2013).
18. L. P. Gorkov, “ On the forces acting on a small particle in an acoustical field in an ideal fluid,” Sov. Phys. Dokl. 6, 773–775 (1962).
19. A. A. Doinikov, “ Acoustic radiation force on a spherical particle in a viscous heat-conducting fluid. II. force on a rigid sphere,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 101, 722–730 (1997).
20. S. D. Danilov and M. A. Mironov, “ Mean force on a small sphere in a sound field in a viscous fluid,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 107, 143–153 (2000).
Article metrics loading...
This analysis reports a formula for torque and viscous power dissipation in scattering of orthogonal waves and vortex beams by a small compressible solid sphere in a slightly viscous fluid. The analysis is based on a viscous correction to far-field scattering, together with beam superposition. The analysis revels the relation between the torque and dissipation. The torque in a heavy sphere limit agrees with a prior analysis by Busse and Wang using boundary flow analysis. The results are applicable to arbitrary sound fields with proper phase distribution, and are extended to other small axisymmetric obstacles such as circular disks and cylinders.
Full text loading...
Most read this month