No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Fine-resolution maps of acoustic properties at 250 MHz of unstained fixed murine retinal layers
2. Basinger, B. C. , Rowley, A. P. , Chen, K. , Humayun, M. S. , and Weiland, J. D. (2009). “ Finite element modeling of retinal prosthesis mechanics,” J. Neural Eng. 6, 055006.
3. Beshtawi, I. M. , Akhtar, R. , Hillarby, M. C. , O'Donnell, C. , Zhao, X. , Brahma, A. , Carley, F. , Derby, B. , and Radhakrishnan, H. (2013). “ Scanning acoustic microscopy for mapping the microelastic properties of human corneal tissue,” Curr. Eye Res. 38, 437–444.
4. Briggs, A. (1992). Acoustic Microscopy, Monographs on the Physics and Chemistry of Materials ( Clarendon Press, Oxford).
5. Daft, C. M. W. , and Briggs, G. A. D. (1989). “ Wideband acoustic microscopy of tissue,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 36, 258–263.
7. Friedman, E. , Ivry, M. , Ebert, E. , Glynn, R. , Gragoudas, E. , and Seddon, J. (1989). “ Increased scleral rigidity and age-related macular degeneration,” Ophthalmology 96, 104–108.
, and Lewis
, W. H.
). Anatomy of the Human Body
, New York
), retrieved from http://www.bartleby.com/107/
(Last viewed May 5, 2015).
9. Hozumi, N. , Yamashita, R. , Lee, C.-K. , Nagao, M. , Kobayashi, K. , Saijo, Y. , Tanaka, M. , Tanaka, N. , and Ohtsuki, S. (2004). “ Time-frequency analysis for pulse driven ultrasonic microscopy for biological tissue characterization,” Ultrasonics 42, 717–722.
10. Jolly, C. , Jeanny, J. C. , Behar-Cohen, F. , Laugier, P. , and Saïed, A. (2005). “ High-resolution ultrasonography of subretinal structure and assessment of retina degeneration in rat,” Exp. Eye Res. 81, 592–601.
11. Marmor, M. F. , Wickramasinghe, H. K. , and Lemons, R. A. (1977). “ Acoustic microscopy of the human retina and pigment epithelium,” Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 16, 660–666.
14. Saijo, Y. , Tanaka, M. , Okawai, H. , Sasaki, H. , Nitta, S. I. , and Dunn, F. (1997). “ Ultrasonic tissue characterization of infarcted myocardium by scanning acoustic microscopy,” Ultrasound Med. Biol. 23, 77–85.
15. Sasaki, H. , Saijo, Y. , Tanaka, M. , and Nitta, S. (2003). “ Influence of tissue preparation on the acoustic properties of tissue sections at high frequencies,” Ultrasound Med. Biol. 29, 1367–1372.
16. Shahbazi, S. , Mokhtari-Dizaji, M. , and Mansori, M. R. (2012). “ Noninvasive estimation of the ocular elastic modulus for age-related macular degeneration in the human eye using sequential ultrasound imaging,” Ultrasonics 52, 208–214.
17. Silverman, R. H. , Urs, R. , and Lloyd, H. O. (2013). “ Effect of ultrasound radiation force on the choroid,” Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 54, 103–109.
19. Worthington, K. S. , Wiley, L. A. , Bartlett, A. M. , Stone, E. M. , Mullins, R. F. , Salem, A. K. , Guymon, C. A. , and Tucker, B. A. (2014). “ Mechanical properties of murine and porcine ocular tissues in compression,” Exp. Eye Res. 121, 194–199.
Article metrics loading...
Ex vivo assessment of microscale tissue biomechanical properties of the mammalian retina could offer insights into diseases such as keratoconus, and macular degeneration. A 250-MHz scanning acoustic microscope (7-μm resolution) has been constructed to derive two-dimensional quantitative maps of attenuation (α), speed of sound (c), acoustic impedance (Z), bulk modulus (B), and mass density (
). The two-dimensional maps were compared to coregistered hematoxylin-and-eosin stained sections. This study is the first to quantitatively assess
, c, Z, B, and
of individual retinal layers of mammalian animals at high ultrasound frequencies. Significant differences in these parameters between the layers were demonstrated.
Full text loading...
Most read this month