No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Toddlers' comprehension of degraded signals: Noise-vocoded versus sine-wave analogs
1. Chatterjee, M. , Zion, D. J. , Deroche, M. L. , Burianek, B. A. , Limb, C. J. , Goren, A. P. , Kulkarni, A. M. , and Christensen, J. A. (2015). “ Voice emotion recognition by cochlear-implanted children and their normally-hearing peers,” Hear. Res. 322, 151–162.
2. Eisenberg, L. S. , Shannon, R. V. , Martinez, A. S. , Wygonski, J. , and Boothroyd, A. (2000). “ Speech recognition with reduced spectral cues as a function of age,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 107(5), 2704–2710.
3. Friesen, L. M. , Shannon, R. V. , Baskent, D. , and Wang, X. (2001). “ Speech recognition in noise as a function of the number of spectral channels: Comparison of acoustic hearing and cochlear implants,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 110(2), 1150–1163.
4. Hollich, G. (2005). “ supercoder: A program for coding preferential looking,” Version 1.5 (Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN).
6. Nittrouer, S. , and Lowenstein, J. H. (2010). “ Learning to perceptually organize speech signals in native fashion,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 127(3), 1624–1635.
7. Nittrouer, S. , Lowenstein, J. H. , and Packer, R. R. (2009). “ Children discover the spectral skeletons in their native language before the amplitude envelopes,” J. Exp. Psychol. Hum. Percept. Perform. 35, 1245–1253.
8. Remez, R. E. (2005). “ Perceptual organization of speech,” in Handbook of Speech Perception, edited by D. B. Pisoni and R. E. Remez ( Blackwell Publishers, Oxford).
9. Remez, R. E. , Cheimets, C. B. , and Thomas, E. F. (2013). “ On the tolerance of spectral blur in the perception of spoken words,” Proc. Meet. Acoust. 19, 1–6.
10. Remez, R. E. , Dubowski, K. R. , Davids, M. L. , Thomas, E. F. , Paddu, N. U. , Grossman, Y. S. , and Moskalenko, M. (2011). “ Estimating speech spectra for copy synthesis by linear prediction and by hand,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130(4), 2173–2178.
12. Rescorla, L. (1989). “ The Language Development Survey: A screening tool for delayed language in toddlers,” J. Speech Hear. Disord. 54(4), 587–599.
13. Shannon, R. V. , Zeng, F.-G. , Kamath, V. , Wygonski, J. , and Ekelid, M. (1995). “ Speech recognition with primarily temporal cues,” Science 270(5234), 303–304.
Article metrics loading...
Recent findings suggest that development changes the ability to comprehend degraded speech. Preschool children showed greater difficulties perceiving noise-vocoded speech (a signal that integrates amplitude over broad frequency bands) than sine-wave speech