No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Wind turbine sound pressure level calculations at dwellings
1. Attenborough, K. , Taherzadeh, S. , Bass, H. E. , Di, X. , Raspet, R. , Becker, G. R. , Güdesen, A. , Chrestman, A. , Daigle, G. A. , L'Espérance, A. , Gabillet, Y. , Gilbert, K. E. , Li, Y. L. , White, M. J. , Naz, P. , Noble, J. M. , and van Hoof, H. A. J. M. (1995). “ Benchmark cases for outdoor sound propagation models,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 97(1), 173−191.
). Cadna A version 4.4 Software for Immission Protection
, available at www.datakustik.com
(Last accessed on 5/29/2014).
6. DeGagne, D. C. (1999). “ The evolution of environmental noise legislation for Alberta's energy industry over three decades,” Can. Acoust. 27(3), 76–77.
8.FHWA (1998). FHWA Traffic Noise Model®, technical manual (United States Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC).
9. Forssén, J. , Schiff, M. , Pedersen, E. , and Persson Waye, K. P. (2010). “ Wind turbine noise propagation over flat ground: Measurements and predictions,” Acta Acust. Acust. 96(4), 753−760.
10. Gaudet, J. F. , and Profitt, W. M. (1958). Native Trees of Prince Edward Island ( Department of Agriculture, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island).
16.IEC (2012). IEC 61400-11 Ed. 3.0. “ Wind turbine generator systems−Part II: Acoustic noise measurement techniques” (International Electrotechnical Commission, Geneva, Switzerland).
17.ISO (1993). ISO 9613-1−Acoustics. “ Attenuation of sound during propagation outdoors. Part I: Calculation of the absorption of sound by the atmosphere” (International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland).
19.ISO (1996). ISO 9613-2−Acoustics. “ Attenuation of sound during propagation outdoors. Part 2: General method of calculation” (International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland).
20.ISO (1998). ISO 140-5−Acoustics. “ Measurement of sound insulation in buildings and of building elements-Part 5: Field measurements of airborne sound insulation of facade elements and façades” (International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland).
21.ISO (2007). ISO 1996-2−Acoustics. “ Description, assessment and measurement of environmental noise. Part 2: Determination of environmental noise levels” (International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, Switzerland).
22. Jonasson, H. (2007). “ Determination of Lden and Lnight using measurements,” SP Technical Research Institute of Sweden, report IMA32-040510 delivered to IMAGINE project.
23. Keith, S. E. , Feder, K. , Voicescu, S. A. , Soukhovtsev, V. , Denning, A. , Tsang, J. , Broner, N. , Richarz, W. , and van den Berg, F. (2016). “ Wind turbine sound power measurements,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 139(3), 1431–1435.
24.MG Acoustics. (2014). Analysis, modeling, and prediction of infrasound and low frequency noise from wind turbine installation, phase 1: PEI site, final report, MG Acoustics report for Health Canada, 81 pp.
25. Michaud, D. S. , Feder, K. , Keith, S. E. , Voicescu, S. A. , Marro, L. , Than, J. , Denning, A. , McGuire, D. , Bower, T. , Lavigne, E. , Murray, B. J. , Weiss, S. K. , and van den Berg, F. (2016). “ Exposure to wind turbine noise: Perceptual responses and reported health effects,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 139(3), 1443–1454.
27.ONMOE (2008). Noise guidelines for wind farms—interpretation for applying MOE NPC publications to wind power generating facilities—October, PIBS 4709e, Ontario Ministry of the Environment.
28.ONMOE (2011). Compliance protocol for wind turbine noise—guideline for acoustic assessment and measurement, PIBS 8540e, Ontario Ministry of the Environment.
29.ONMT (2010). Provincial Highways Traffic Volumes 2010, Highway Standards Branch, Traffic Office, Ontario Ministry of Transportation.
33. Pawlaczyk-Łuszczyńska, M. , Dudarewicz, A. , Zaborowski, K. , Zamojska-Daniszewska, M. , and Waszkowska, M. (2014). “ Evaluation of annoyance from the wind turbine noise: A pilot study,” Int. J. Occup. Environ. Health 27, 364−388.
34. Pedersen, E. (2007). “ Human response to wind turbine noise—perception, annoyance and moderating factors,” Doctoral thesis, Göteborg University, Sweden.
35. Pedersen, E. , and Halmstad, H. I. (2003). “ Noise annoyance from wind turbines: A review,” Report 5308, Naturvårdsverket, Swedish Environmental Protection Agency pp. 1−26.
36. Pedersen, E. , and Persson Waye, K. (2004). “ Perception and annoyance due to wind turbine noise−A dose-response relationship,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 116(6), 3460−3470.
37. Pedersen, E. , van den Berg, F. , Bakker, R. , and Bouma, J. (2009). “ Response to noise from modern wind farms in The Netherlands,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 126(2),634−643.
). Traffic volume for Prince Edward Island 2012, Capital Projects, Engineering Services, Prince Edward Island Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal, available upon request at http://www.gov.pe.ca/tir/index.php3?number=1001593
39. Plovsing, B. , and Søndergaard, B. (2011). “ Wind turbine noise propagation: Comparison of measurements and predictions by a method based on geometrical ray theory,” Noise Control Eng. J. 59(1), 10−22.
40. Schomer, P. , Freytag, J. , Machesky, A. , Luo, C. , Dossin, C. , Nookala, N. , and Pamdighantamc, A. (2011). “ A re-analysis of Day-Night Sound Level (DNL) as a function of population density in the United States,” Noise Control Eng. J. 59(3), 290−301.
41.SEPA (2001). “ Ljud från vindkraftverk” (“Noise from wind turbines”), Report 6241 (in Swedish), Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, Stockholm.
42.SEPA (2012). “ Ljud från vindkraftverk” (“Noise from wind turbines”), Report 6241 version 3.0 (in Swedish), Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, Stockholm.
44. Søndergaard, B. (2013). “ Low frequency noise from wind turbines: Do the Danish regulations have any impact?,” Wind Turbine Noise 2013, 28−30 August 2013, Denver, CO.
47. Sutherland, L. C. , and Bass, H. E. (2004). “ Atmospheric absorption in the atmosphere up to 160 km,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 115(3), 1012−1032.
48. Sutherland, L. C. , and Bass, H. E. (2006). “ Erratum: Atmospheric absorption in the atmosphere up to 160 km,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 120(5), 2985.
49. Tachibana, H. , Yano, H. , Fukushima, A. , and Shinichi, S. (2014). “ Nationwide field measurement of wind turbine noise in Japan,” Noise Control Eng. J. 62(2), 90−101.
50.USEPA (1974). “ Population Distribution of the United States as a Function of Outdoor Noise Level,” Report EPA 550/9-74-009 (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Noise Abatement and Control, Washington, DC).
51. van den Berg, F. (2008). “ Criteria for wind farm noise: Lmax and Lden,” EURONOISE 2008, June 29−July 4, Paris, pp. 4043−4048.
53. Van Renterghem, T. , Bockstael, A. , De Weirt, V. , and Botteldooren, D. (2013). “ Annoyance, detection and recognition of wind turbine noise,” Sci. Total Environ. 456−457, 333−345.
54. Willshire, W. L. , and Zorumski, W. E. (1987). “ Low-frequency acoustic propagation in high winds,” in Noise-Con87, Proceedings of the National Conference on Noise Control, Engineering, State College, PA, June 8−10, pp. 275−280.
Article metrics loading...
This paper provides calculations of outdoor sound pressure levels (SPLs) at dwellings for 10 wind turbinemodels, to support Health Canada's Community Noise and Health Study. Manufacturer supplied and measured wind turbinesound power levels were used to calculate outdoor SPL at 1238 dwellings using ISO [(1996). ISO 9613-2−Acoustics] and a Swedish noise propagation method. Both methods yielded statistically equivalent results. The A- and C-weighted results were highly correlated over the 1238 dwellings (Pearson's linear correlation coefficient r > 0.8). Calculated wind turbineSPLs were compared to ambient SPLs from other sources, estimated using guidance documents from the United States and Alberta, Canada.
Full text loading...
Most read this month