No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Software for real-time localization of baleen whale calls using directional sonobuoys: A case study on Antarctic blue whales
1. Blackwell, S. B. , McDonald, T. L. , Kim, K. H. , Aerts, L. A. M. , Richardson, W. J. , Greene, C. R. J. , and Streever, B. (2012). “ Directionality of bowhead whale calls measured with multiple sensors,” Mar. Mamm. Sci. 28, 200–212.
2. Blackwell, S. B. , Nations, C. S. , McDonald, T. L. , Greene, C. R. J. , Thode, A. M. , Guerra, M. , and Macrander, A. M. (2013). “ Effects of airgun sounds on bowhead whale calling rates in the Alaskan Beaufort Sea,” Mar. Mamm. Sci. 29, E342–E365.
3. Cox, M. J. , Miller, B. S. , Miller, E. , and Double, M. C. (2015). “ A preliminary investigation of the distribution of krill in the vicinity of Antarctic blue whales,” Unpublished paper submitted to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission, SC66A, San Diego, CA.
4. D'Spain, G. (1994). “ Relationship of underwater acoustic intensity measurements to beamforming,” Can. Acoust. 2, 157–158.
5. Gedamke, J. , and Robinson, S. M. (2010). “ Acoustic survey for marine mammal occurrence and distribution off East Antarctica (30-80°E) in January-February 2006,” Deep Sea Res. II Top. Stud. Oceanogr. 57, 968–981.
6. Gillespie, D. , Caillat, M. , Gordon, J. C. , and White, P. (2013). “ Automatic detection and classification of odontocete whistles,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 134, 2427–2437.
7. Gillespie, D. , Gordon, J. , Mchugh, R. , Mclaren, D. , Mellinger, D. , Redmond, P. , Thode, A. , Trinder, P. , and Deng, X. Y. (2008). “ PAMGuard: Semiautomated, open source software for real-time acoustic detection and localisation of cetaceans,” Proc. Inst. Acoust. 30, 54–62.
8. Greene, C. R. J. , McLennan, M. W. , Norman, R. G. , McDonald, T. L. , Jakubczak, R. S. , and Richardson, W. J. (2004). “ Directional frequency and recording (DIFAR) sensors in seafloor recorders to locate calling bowhead whales during their fall migration,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 116, 799–813.
10. Guerra, M. , Thode, A. M. , Blackwell, S. B. , and Macrander, M. A. (2011). “ Quantifying seismic survey reverberation off the Alaskan North Slope,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 130, 3046–3058.
12. McDonald, M. A. (2004). “ DIFAR hydrophone usage in whale research,” Can. Acoust. 32, 155–160.
13. McDonald, M. A. , Calambokidis, J. , Teranishi, A. M. , and Hildebrand, J. A. (2001). “ The acoustic calls of blue whales off California with gender data,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 109, 1728–1735.
14. McDonald, M. A. , and Moore, S. (2002). “ Calls recorded from North Pacific right whales (Eubalaena japonica) in the eastern Bering Sea,” J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 4, 261–266.
15. Mellinger, D. K. , Stafford, K. M. , Moore, S. E. , Dziak, R. P. , and Matsumoto, H. (2007). “ An overview of fixed passive acoustic observation methods for cetaceans,” Oceanography 20, 36–45.
16. Merchant, N. D. , Fristrup, K. M. , Johnson, M. P. , Tyack, P. L. , Witt, M. J. , Blondel, P. , and Parks, S. E. (2015). “ Measuring acoustic habitats,” Methods Ecol. Evol. 6, 257–265.
17. Miller, B. S. , Barlow, J. , Calderan, S. , Collins, K. , Leaper, R. , Olson, P. , Ensor, P. , Peel, D. , Donnelly, D. , Andrews-Goff, V. , Olavarria, C. , Owen, K. , Rekdahl, M. , Schmitt, N. , Wadley, V. , Gedmake, J. , Gales, N. , and Double, M. C. (2015). “ Validating the reliability of passive acoustic localisation: A novel method for encountering rare and remote Antarctic blue whales,” Endangered Species Res. 26, 257–269.
18. Miller, B. S. , Collins, K. , Barlow, J. , Calderan, S. , Leaper, R. , McDonald, M. , Ensor, P. , Olson, P. A. , Olavarria, C. , and Double, M. C. (2014). “ Blue whale vocalizations recorded around New Zealand: 1964-2013,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 135, 1616–1623.
19. Miller, B. S. , Growcott, A. , Slooten, E. , and Dawson, S. M. (2013). “ Acoustically derived growth rates of sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus) in Kaikoura, New Zealand,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 134, 2438–2445.
20. O'Driscoll, R. , and Double, M. (2015). Voyage Report TAN1502 New Zealand-Australia Antarctic Ecosystems Voyage ( Wellington, New Zealand).
21. Oleson, E. M. , Calambokidis, J. , Barlow, J. , and Hildebrand, J. A. (2007). “ Blue whale visual and acoustic encounter rates in the southern California bight,” Marine Mamm. Sci. 23, 574–597.
23. Peel, D. , Bravington, M. , Kelly, N. , and Double, M. C. (2015). “ Designing an effective mark–recapture study of Antarctic blue whales,” Ecol. Appl. 25, 1003–1015.
24. Peel, D. , Miller, B. S. , Kelly, N. , Dawson, S. , Slooten, E. , and Double, M. C. (2014). “ A simulation study of acoustic-assisted tracking of whales for mark-recapture surveys,” PloS One 9, e95602.
25. Rankin, S. , Ljungblad, D. K. , Clark, C. W. , and Kato, H. (2005). “ Vocalisations of Antarctic blue whales, Balaenoptera musculus intermedia, recorded during the 2001/2002 and 2002/2003 IWC/SOWER circumpolar cruises, Area V, Antarctica,” J. Cetacean Res. Manage. 7, 13–20.
27. Širović, A. , and Hildebrand, J. A. (2011). “ Using passive acoustics to model blue whale habitat off the Western Antarctic Peninsula,” Deep Sea Res. II: Top. Stud. Oceanogr. 58, 1719–1728.
28. Swartz, S. , Cole, T. , McDonald, M. A. , Hildebrand, J. A. , Oleson, E. M. , Martinez, A. , Clapham, P. J. , Barlow, J. , and Jones, M. L. (2003). “ Acoustic and visual survey of humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) distribution in the eastern and southeastern Caribbean Sea,” Carib. J. Sci. 39, 195–208.
29. Thode, A. M. , D'Spain, G. L. , and Kuperman, W. A. (2000). “ Matched-field processing, geoacoustic inversion, and source signature recovery of blue whale vocalizations,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 107, 1286–1300.
30. Urick, R. J. (1983). Principles of Underwater Sound, 3rd ed. ( McGraw-Hill, New York).
31. Van Parijs, S. M. , Clark, C. W. , Sousa-Lima, R. S. , Parks, S. E. , Rankin, S. , Risch, D. , and Van Opzeeland, I. C. (2009). “ Management and research applications of real-time and archival passive acoustic sensors over varying temporal and spatial scales,” Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 395, 21–36.
32. Wade, P. , De Robertis, A. , Hough, K. , Booth, R. , Kennedy, A. , LeDuc, R. G. , Munger, L. , Napp, J. , Shelden, K. E. W. , Rankin, S. , Vasquez, O. , and Wilson, C. (2011). “ Rare detections of North Pacific right whales in the Gulf of Alaska, with observations of their potential prey,” Endang. Spec. Res. 13, 99–109.
33. Wade, P. , Heide-Jørgensen, M. P. , Shelden, K. , Barlow, J. , Carretta, J. , Durban, J. , Leduc, R. , Munger, L. , Rankin, S. , Sauter, A. , and Stinchcomb, C. (2006). “ Acoustic detection and satellite-tracking leads to discovery of rare concentration of endangered North Pacific right whales Acoustic detection and satellite-tracking leads to discovery of rare concentration of endangered North Pacific right whales,” Biol. Lett. 2, 417–419.
Article metrics loading...
Directional frequency analysis and recording (DIFAR) sonobuoys can allow real-time acoustic localization of baleen whales for underwater tracking and remote sensing, but limited availability of hardware and software has prevented wider usage. These software limitations were addressed by developing a module in the open-source software PAMGuard. A case study is presented demonstrating that this software provides greater efficiency and accessibility than previous methods for detecting, localizing, and tracking Antarctic blue whales in real time. Additionally, this software can easily be extended to track other low and mid frequency sounds including those from other cetaceans, pinnipeds, icebergs, shipping, and seismic airguns.
Full text loading...
Most read this month