No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Whistle comparison of four delphinid species in Southeastern Brazil
1. Andrade, L. G. , Lima, I. M. S. , Bittencourt, L. , Bisi, T. L. , Lailson-Brito, J. J. , and Azevedo, A. F. (2015b). “High-frequency whistles of Guiana dolphins (Sotalia guianensis) in Guanabara Bay, southeastern Brazil,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 137, EL15–EL19.
2. Andrade, L. G. , Lima, I. M. S. , Macedo, H. , Carvalho, R. R. , Lailson-Brito, J. , Jr., Flach, L. , and Azevedo, A. F. (2015a). “ Variation in Guiana dolphin (Sotalia guianensis) whistles: Using a broadband recording system to analyze acoustic parameters in three areas of Southeastern Brazil,” Acta Ethol. 18, 47–57.
3. Azevedo, A. F. , Oliveira, A. M. , Viana, S. C. , and Van Sluys, M. (2005). “ Habitat use by marine tucuxis (Sotalia guianensis) (Cetacea: Delphinidae) in Guanabara Bay, south-eastern Brazil,” J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. U. K. 87, 201–205.
4. Azevedo, A. F. , and Van Sluys, M. (2005). “ Whistles of tucuxi dolphins (Sotalia fluviatilis) in Brazil: Comparisons among populations,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 117, 1456–1464.
6. Cunha, H. A. , Moraes, L. C. , Medeiros, B. V. , Lailson-Brito, J. , Jr., Da Silva, V. M. F. , Solé-Cava, A. M. , and Schrago, C. G. (2012). “ Phylogenetic status and timescale for the diversification of Steno and Sotalia dolphins,” Plos One 7, 1–7.
7. May-Collado, L. J. , Agnarsson, I. , and Wartzok, D. (2007). “ Reexamining the relationship between body size and tonal signals frequency in whales: A comparative approach using a novel phylogeny,” Mar. Mammal Sci. 23, 524–552.
8. May-Collado, L. J. , and Wartzok, D. (2009). “ A characterization of Guyana dolphin (Sotalia guianensis) whistles from Costa Rica: The importance of broadband recording systems,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 125, 1202–1213.
9. Oswald, J. N. , Rankin, S. , and Barlow, J. (2004). “ The effect of recording and analysis bandwidth on acoustic identification of delphinid species,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 116, 3178–3185.
10. Oswald, J. N. , Rankin, S. , Barlow, J. , and Lammers, M. O. (2007). “ A tool for real-time acoustic species identification of delphinid whistles,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 112, 587–595.
11. Rankin, S. , Oswald, J. N. , Simonis, A. , and Barlow, J. (2015). “ Vocalizations of the rough-toothed dolphin, Steno bredanensis, in the Pacific Ocean,” Mar. Mammal Sci. 31, 1538–1548.
12. Zar, J. H. (1999). Biostatistical Analysis ( Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ), pp. 196–200.
Article metrics loading...
The present study evaluates variations in frequency and duration parameters of whistles of four dolphin species (Sotalia guianensis, Steno bredanensis, Stenella frontalis, and Tursiops truncatus), recorded in the Rio de Janeiro State Coast, Southeastern Brazil. A total of 487 whistles were analyzed. Acoustic parameters of the whistles were classified to species by discriminant function analysis. Overall classification score was 72.5%, with the highest classification score obtained for whistles of S. bredanensis and the lowest obtained for S. frontalis. Most differences were among S. bredanensis and S. guianensis, species that did not have their repertoires compared in other studies.
Full text loading...
Most read this month