No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Femtosecond laser welded nanostructures and plasmonic devices
1. Y. Zhou, Microjoining and Nanojoining (Woodhead Publishing Ltd, Cambridge, England, 2008).
3. Y. Peng, T. Cullis, and B. Inkson, “Bottom-up nanoconstruction by the welding of individual metallic nanoobjects using nanoscale solder,” Nano Lett. 9, 91–96 (2009).
4. M. Terrones, F. Banhart, N. Brobert, J. C. Charlier, H. Terrones, and P. M. Ayayan, “Molecular junctions by joining single-walled carbon nanotubes,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 075505–1 (2002).
5. A. Hu, M. Rybachuk, Q.-B. Lu, and W. W. Duley, “Direct Synthesis of sp-bonded carbon chains on graphite surface by femtosecond laser irradiation,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 91, 1319061–1 (2007).
6. A. Hu, J. Y. Guo, H. Alarif, G. Patane, Y. Zhou, G. Compagnini, and C. X. Xu, “Low Temperature sintering of Ag nanoparticles for flexible electronics packaging,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 153117–1 (2010).
8. T. Gong, Y. Zhang, W. Liu, J. Wei, C. Li, K. Wang, D. Wu, and M. Zhong, “Connection of macro-sized double-walled carbon nanotubes strands by bandaging with double-walled carbon nanotube films,” Carbon 45, 2235–2240 (2007).
10. L. Dong and F. Arai, “Destructive Constructions of nanostructures with carbon nanotubes through nanorobotic manipulation,” IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatron. 9, 350–357 (2004).
12. Y. Li, K. Wang, J. Wei, Z. Gu, Q. Shu, C. Li, W. Wang, Z. Wang, J. Luo, and D. Wu, “Improving tensile properties of double-walled carbon nanotube strands by intercalation of epoxy resin,” Carbon 44, 176–179 (2006).
14. C. Sonnichsen, B. M. Reinhard, J. Liphardt, and A. P. Alivisatos, “A molecular ruler based on plasmon coupling of single gold and silver nanoparticles,” Nat. Biotechnol. 23, 741–745 (2005).
19. W. Wu, A. Hu, X. Li, J. Wei, Q. Shu, K. Wang, M. Yavuz, and Y. Zhou, “Vacuum brazing of carbon nanotube bundles,” Mater. Lett. 62, 4486–4488 (2008).
21. F. Gao, S. Mukherjee, Q. Cui, and Z. Gu, “Synthesis, characterization, and thermal properties of nanoscale lead-free solders on multisegamented metal nanowires,” J. Phys. Chem. C 113, 9546–9552 (2009).
22. F. Mafuńe, J. Kohno, Y. Takeda, and T. Kondow, “Nanoscale soldering of metal nanoparticles for construction of higher-order structures,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 125, 1686–1687 (2003).
30. K. Dick, T. Dhanasekaren, Z. Zhang, and D. Meisel, “Size-dependent metling of silica-encapsulated gold nanoparticles,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 124, 2312–2317 (2002).
31. P. Peng, A. Hu, and Y. Zhou, “Laser sintering of silver nanoparticle thin films: Microstructure and optical properties,” Appl. Phys. A (to be published).
32. J. G. Bai, T. G. Lei, J. N. Calata, and G. Q. Lu, “Control of nanosilver sintering attained through organic bonder burnout,” J. Mater. Res. 22, 3494–3500 (2007).
33. T. G. Lei, J. N. Calata, G. Q. Lu, X. Chen, and S. Luo, “Low-temperature sintering of nanoscale silver paste for attaing large-area chips,” IEEE Trans. Compon. Packag. Technol. 33, 98–104 (2010).
34. A. Hu, J. Sanderson, A. A. Zaidi, C. Wang, T. Zhang, Y. Zhou, and W. W. Duley, “Direct synthesis of polyyne molecules in acetone by dissociation using femtosecond laser irradiation,” Carbon 46, 1792–1828 (2008).
37. S. Nolte, C. Momma, H. Jacobs, A. Tunnermann, B. N. Chichkov, B. Wellegehausen, and H. Welling, “Ablation of metals by ultrashort laser pulses,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 14, 2716–2722 (1997).
39. X. Y. Zhang, A. Hu, T. Zhang, W. Lei, X. J. Xue, Y. Zhou, and W. W. Duley, “Self-assembly of large-scale and ultrathin silver nanoplate films with tunable plasmon resonance properties,” ACS Nano 5, 9082–9092 (2011).
40. H. Wu, L. Hu, M. W. Rowell, D. Kong, J. J. Cha, J. R. McDonough, J. Zhu, Y. Yang, M. D. McGehee, and Y. Cui, “Electrospun metal nanofiber webs as high-performance transparent electrode,” Nano Lett. 10, 4242–4248 (2010).
Article metrics loading...
Nanojoining, a burgeoning research area, becomes a key manufacturing of complicated nanodevices with functional prefabricated components. In this work, various nanojoining methods are first reviewed. For nanojoining of Ag/Au nanoparticles, three methods are investigated comparatively. Thermal annealing shows a two-step solid state diffusion mechanism. Laser annealing by millisecond pulses displays the thermal activated solid state diffusion. Meanwhile, two effects have been identified in femtosecond laser irradiation with different laser intensities: photofragmentation at rather high intensity (∼1014 W/cm2) and nanojoining at low intensity (∼1010 W/cm2). The photofragmentation forms a large number of tiny nanoparticles with an average size of 10 nm. Control over irradiation conditions at intensities near 1010 W/cm2 results in nanojoining of most of the nanoparticles. This nanojoining is obtained through a nonthermal melting and a surface fusion welding. Joined Aunanoparticles are expected to have numerous applications, such as probes for surface enhance Raman spectroscopy.
Full text loading...
Most read this month