No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Identifying residual stresses in laser welds by fatigue crack growth
1.ASTM E 739-10 “ Standard practice for statistical analysis of linear or linearized stress-life (S-N) and strain-life (ε-N) fatigue data,” 2010.
2. A. Hobbacher , IIW Recommendations for Fatigue Design of Welded Joints and Components ( Abington Publ., Great Abington, Cambridge UK, 2008).
3. M. M. Alam , “ Laser welding and cladding: The effects of defects on fatigue behavior,” Ph.D. thesis ( Luleå University of Technology, Sweden, 2012).
4. J. Sundqvist , I. Eriksson , A. F. H. Kaplan , M. Keskitalo , K. Mäntyjärvi , J. Granström , and K-G. Sundin , “ Measuring the influence of laser welding on fatigue crack propagation in high strength steel,” in Proceedings of 32nd ICALEO ( LIA, Miami, FL, 2013), pp. 647–654.
6.ISO 12108:2012 “ Metallic materials—Fatigue testing—Fatigue crack growth,” 2012.
7. M. B. Prime , “ Residual stress measurement by successive extension of a slot: The crack compliance method,” Appl. Mech. Rev. 52, 75–96 (1999).
10. T. L. Anderson , Fracture Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications, 3rd ed. ( Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL, 2005).
12. L. W. Tsay , M. C. Young , F. Y. Chou , and R. K. Shiue , “ The effect of residual thermal stresses on the fatigue crack growth of laser-annealed 304 stainless steels,” Mater. Chem. Phys. 88, 348–352 (2004).
14.ASTM E 837-08 “ Standard test method for determining residual stresses by the hole-drilling strain-gage method,” 2008.
16. P. J. Webster , L. Djapic Oosterkamp , P. A. Browne , D. J. Hughes , W. P. Kang , P. J. Withers , and G. B. M. Vaughan , “ Synchotron x-ray residual strain scanning of a friction stir weld,” J. Strain Anal. Eng. Des. 36, 61–70 (2001).
17. C. Carmignani , R. Mares , and G. Toselli , “ Transient finite element analysis of deep penetration laser welding process in a singlepass butt-welded thick steel plate,” Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Eng. 179, 197–214 (1999).
18. X. B. Ren , O. M. Akselsen , S. K. Ås , and A. F. H. Kaplan , “ Residual stresses of hybrid laser-arc welding for arctic application,” in Proceedings of 14th NOLAMP ( LTU, Sweden, 2013), pp. 183–192.
19. G. V. Guinea , J. Y. Pastor , J. Planas , and M. Elices , “ Stress intensity factor, compliance and CMOD for a general three-point-bend beam,” Int. J. Fracture 89, 103–116 (1998).
20.Vishay Measurements Group, “ Measurement of residual stresses by the hole drilling strain gage method” Vishay Measurements Group Technical Note TN-503, Raleigh, NC, 1993.
21. P. Ferro , A. Zambon , and F. Bonollo , “ Investigation of electron-beam welding in wrought Inconel 706—Experimental and numerical analysis,” Mater. Sci. Eng., A 392, 94–105 (2005).
23. A. Zambon , P. Ferro , and F. Bonollo , “ Microstructural, compositional and residual stress evaluation of laser welded superaustenitic AISI 904L stainless steel,” Mater. Sci. Eng., A 424, 117–127 (2006).
24. E. Assuncao , S. Ganguly , D. Yapp , S. Williams , and A. Paradowska , “ Characterisation of residual stress state in laser welded low carbon mild steel plates produced in keyhole and conduction mode,” Sci. Technol. Weld. Joining 16, 239–243 (2011).
Article metrics loading...
During laser welding, residual stresses are thermally induced. They can
have strong impact on the fatigue behavior and fatigue life. A
standardized measurement method for the fatigue crack growth rate
was expanded to identify residual stress along the cracking path. The
second derivative of the measuredcrack
opening and in turn the crackacceleration corresponded well with distinct acceleration maxima
and minima and accordingly with tensile and compressive stress, as was basically
proven by numerical simulation. The method is simple and extendable. It provides
valuable information, as was demonstrated for various situations.
Full text loading...
Most read this month