No data available.
Please log in to see this content.
You have no subscription access to this content.
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
Rheology of viscoelastic suspensions of spheres under small and large amplitude oscillatory shear by numerical simulations
1. Aral, B. K. , and D. M. Kaylon, “Viscoelastic material functions of noncolloidal suspensions with spherical particles,” J. Rheol. 41, 599–620 (1997).
2. Barnes, H. A. , “A review of the rheology of filled viscoelastic systems,” in Rheology Reviews, edited by D. M. Binding and K. Walters (British Society of Rheology, Aberystwyth, UK, 2003), pp. 1–36.
7. Bogaerds, A. C. B. , A. M. Grillet, G. W. M. Peters, and F. P. T. Baaijens, “Stability analysis of polymer shear flows using the extended pom-pom constitutive equations,” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 108, 187–208 (2002).
11. Brooks, A. N. , and T. J. R. Hughes, “Streamline upwind/Petrov-Galerkin formulations for convection dominated flows with particular emphasis on the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations,” Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Eng. 32, 199–256 (1982).
13. Choi, S. J. , and W. R. Schowalter, “Rheological properties of nondilute suspensions of deformable particles,” Phys. Fluids 18, 420–427 (1975).
14. Christensen, R. C. , Mechanics of Composite Materials, Dover Books on Engineering (Wiley, New York, 1979).
15. Cortè, L. , P. M. Chaikin, J. P. Gollub, and D. J. Pine, “Random organization in periodically driven systems,” Nat. Phys. 4, 420–424 (2008).
16. Cracium, L. , P. J. Carreau, M.-C. Heuzey, T. G. M. van de Ven, and M. Moan, “Rheological properties of concentrated latex suspensions of poly(styrene-butadiene),” Rheol. Acta 42, 410–420 (2003).
17. D'Avino, G. , and M. A. Hulsen, “A comparison between a collocation and weak implementation of the rigid-body motion constraint on a particle surface,” Int. J. Numer. Methods Fluids 64, 1014–1040 (2010).
18. D'Avino, G. , P. L. Maffettone, M. A. Hulsen, and G. W. M. Peters, “A numerical method for simulating concentrated rigid particle suspensions in an elongational flow using a fixed grid,” J. Comput. Phys. 226, 688–711 (2007).
19. D'Avino, G. , P. L. Maffettone, M. A. Hulsen, and G. W. M. Peters, “Numerical simulation of planar elongational flow of concentrated rigid particle suspensions in a viscoelastic fluid,” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 150, 65–79 (2008).
22. Franck A. J. P. , and M. Nowak, “Non-linear oscillation testing with a separate motor transducer rheometer,” AIP Conf. Proc. 1027, 1138–1140 (2008).
23. Glowinski, R. , T.-W. Pan, T. I. Hesla, and D. D. Joseph, “A distributed Lagrangian multipliers/fictitious domain method for particulate flows,” Int. J. Multiphase Flow 25, 755–794 (1999).
24. Graebling, D. , R. Muller, and J. F. Palierne, “Linear viscoelastic behaviour of some incompatible polymer blends in the melt. Interpretation of data with a model of emulsion of viscoelastic liquids,” Macromolecules 26, 320–329 (1993).
26. Gurnon, A. K. , and N. J. Wagner, “Large amplitude oscillatory shear (LAOS) measurements to obtain constitutive equation model parameters: Giesekus model of banding and nonbanding wormlike micelles,” J. Rheol. 56, 333–351 (2012).
28. Harlen, O. G. , and D. L. Koch, “Orientational drift of a fibre suspended in a dilute polymer solution during oscillatory shear flow,” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 73, 81–93 (1997).
29. Hulsen, M. A. , R. Fattal, and R. Kupferman, “Flow of viscoelastic fluids past a cylinder at high Weissenberg number: Stabilized simulations using matrix logarithms,” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 127, 27–39 (2005).
31. Hwang, W. R. , M. A. Hulsen, and H. E. H. Meijer, “Direct simulation of particle suspensions in a viscoelastic fluid in sliding bi-periodic frames,” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 121, 15–32 (2004b).
32. Hwang, W. R. , M. A. Hulsen, H. E. H. Meijer, and T. H. Kwon, “Direct numerical simulations of suspensions of spherical particles in a viscoelastic fluid in sliding ti-periodic domains,” in Proceedings of the XIVth International Congress on Rheology, Seoul, August 22–27, 2004c.
33. Hyun, K. , M. Wilhelm, C. O. Klein, K. S. Cho, J. G. Nam, K. H. Ahn, S. J. Lee, R. H. Ewoldt, and G. H. McKinley, “A review of nonlinear oscillatory shear tests: Analysis and application of large amplitude oscillatory shear (LAOS),” Prog. Polym. Sci. 36, 1697–1753 (2011).
35. Ingber, M. S. , A. A. Mammoli, and P. Vorobieff, “Experimental and numerical analysis of irreversibilities among particles suspended in a Couette device,” J. Rheol. 50, 99–114 (2006).
36. Kallus, S. , N. Willenbacher, S. Kirsch, D. Distler, T. Neidhöfer, M. Wilhelm, and H. W. Spiess, “Characterization of polymer dispersions by Fourier transform rheology,” Rheol. Acta 40, 552–559 (2001).
37. Klein, C. O. , H. W. Speiss, A. Calin, C. Balan, and M. Wilhelm, “Separation of the nonlinear oscillatory response into a superposition of linear, strain hardening, strain softening, and wall slip response,” Macromolecules 40, 4250–4259 (2007).
38. Ladd, A. J. C. , “Numerical simulations of particulate suspensions via a discretized Boltzmann equation. Part 2. Numerical results,” J. Fluid Mech. 271, 311–339 (1994).
39. Larson, R. G. , Constitutive Equations for Polymer Melts and Solutions (Butterworth-Heinemann, London, 1988).
41. Le Meins, J.-F. , P. Moldenaers, and J. Mewis, “Suspensions in polymer melts. 1. Effect of particle size on the shear flow behavior,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 41, 6297–6304 (2002).
43. Michele, J. , R. Patzold, and R. Donis, “Alignment and aggregation effects in suspensions of spheres in non-Newtonian media,” Rheol. Acta 16, 317–321 (1977).
44. Nam, J. G. , K. Hyun, K. H. Ahn, and S. J. Lee, “Prediction of normal stresses under large amplitude oscillatory shear flow,” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 150, 1–10 (2008).
45. Neidhöfer, T. , and M. Wilhelm, “Fourier-transform rheology experiments and finite-element simulations on linear polystyrene solutions,” J. Rheol. 47, 1351–1371 (2003).
50. Pasquino, R. , F. Snijkers, N. Grizzuti, and J. Vermant, “The effect of particle size and migration on the formation of flow-induced structures in viscoelastic suspensions,” Rheol. Acta 49, 993–1001 (2010).
51. Pasquino, R. , N. Grizzuti, P. L. Maffettone, and F. Greco, “Rheology of dilute and semidilute noncolloidal hard sphere suspensions,” J. Rheol. 52, 1369–1384 (2008).
53. Pine, D. J. , J. P. Gollub, J. F. Brady, and A. M. Leshansky, “Chaos and threshold for irreversibility in sheared suspensions,” Nature 438, 997–1000 (2005).
54. Polinski, A. J. , M. E. Ryan, R. K. Gupta, S. G. Seshadri, and F. J. Frechete, “Rheological behaviour of filled polymeric systems I. Yield stress and shear thinning effects,” J. Rheol. 32, 703–735 (1988).
55. Rexha, G. , and M. Minale, “Numerical predictions of the viscosity of non-Brownian suspensions in the semidilute regime,” J. Rheol. 55, 1319–1340 (2011).
56. Saad, Y. , SPARSKIT: A Basic Tool Kit for Sparse Matrix Computations, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA, Technical Report 2090, 2001.
57. Schaink, H. M. , J. J. M. Slot, R. J. J. Jongschaap, and J. Mellema, “The rheology of systems containing rigid spheres suspended in both viscous and viscoelastic media, studied by Stokesian dynamics simulations,” J. Rheol. 44, 473–498 (2000).
58. Scirocco, R. , J. Vermant, and J. Mewis, “Effect of the viscoelasticity of the suspending fluid on structure formation in suspensions,” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 117, 183–192 (2004).
59. Xu, K. , M. G. Foster, and I. Klapper, “On the correspondence between creeping flows of viscous and viscoelastic fluids,” J. Non-Newtonian Fluid Mech. 145, 150–172 (2007).
Article metrics loading...
Full text loading...
Most read this month